Windows 10: Win 10 keeps re-arranging my desktop?

Discus and support Win 10 keeps re-arranging my desktop? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have the occasional case (maybe once per week) that Windows decides to re-arrange my desktop icons each and every time I change *anything* on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mmo, Jul 2, 2018.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Win 10 keeps re-arranging my desktop?

I have the occasional case (maybe once per week) that Windows decides to re-arrange my desktop icons each and every time I change *anything* on the desktop (e.g. move an existing icon or add another one) but apparently also sometimes "out-of-the-blue". *Mad
    Then my carefully arranged desktop gets "re-arranged", i.e. all icons are moved to some - apparently random - position on the screen. Meanwhile I have installed a utility to correct that (Iconoid) which allows me to save a layout and re-apply it, but I have to trigger that utility again and again during the course of a day to correct the garbled layout again. After half a day or a day that "phenomenon" is gone and the desktop gets well-behaved again.

Why is that so? What could cause Windows 10 Pro to decide that it needs to rearrange all icons? Why are there days where it does that all the time and others, where this doesn't happen at all?

BTW: I have disabled the "Autoarrange" and "Align to grid" settings in the desktop's View-menu. It *me* who wants to have authorative control of where desktop icons get placed!

:)

2. desktop icon arrangement

Hello,

Kindly further elaborate your concern, to assist you better.

In the meantime, you may follow the step below to see if this would address your concern:

• Right-click on your desktop > Click View.

Note: If you want to manually arrange your desktop icons uncheck Auto arrange icons
    then drag your icons depending on where you want to place them on your desktop. If you want your icons to be aligned to the grid, check
    Align icons to grid.

Let us know what happens after.

Regile Reb, Jul 2, 2018
  3. Jane Lla Win User
    Desktop Icons Keep Getting Re-arranged

Hello Yumpin,

After reading through the thread, please be advised that the Align icons to grid feature, your desktop icons will automatically be snapped into place as designated by an invisible grid on your screen. The grid keeps the icons aligned with each other to prevent
    them from overlapping.

Now, since this is an arranged grid, it will move the icons you've setup depending on if the Auto arrange icons feature is enabled.

Have you followed the suggested steps in the thread you've attached above?

If you're still getting the same issue, please post back with the complete detail of the troubleshooting you've completed so we could further advise.

Regards.

Jane Lla, Jul 2, 2018
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Desktop Icons Keep Getting Re-arranged

Hi,

This might be caused by changes made on your device after the update. If icons are getting re-arranged every time you boot, then try the steps below:

• Right-click on any blank space on your desktop.
    • Hover over View.
    • Select the icon size. Set it to Small first, refresh desktop then set it to
      Medium.
    • Check Align icons to grid.

Win 10 keeps re-arranging my desktop? 72d8bf6b-42f7-4a65-961f-96470c2e10e3?upload=true.png

Once done, refresh desktop and see if the icons will get re-arranged.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Anne Ros, Jul 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 keeps re-arranging my desktop? - Similar Threads - keeps arranging desktop

2. New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons: Everytime I save a new file to the desktop, the icon for the file places itself in the top left spot and re-arranges the existing order. -I have unchecked the "Auto arrange icons" options. -The "Allow themes to change dektop icons" boc is also unchecked. -All the Display...
  3. New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New saved files to desktop re-arranges the icons: Everytime I save a new file to the desktop, the icon for the file places itself in the top left spot and re-arranges the existing order. -I have unchecked the "Auto arrange icons" options. -The "Allow themes to change dektop icons" boc is also unchecked. -All the Display...
  4. Why do my open browser windows keep re-arranging?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why do my open browser windows keep re-arranging?: Okay, so, I'm opening a window, and it says "not responding", right? But then the taskbar momentarily disappears, and then when it comes back, it has no app icons pinned to it for a few seconds. Then, when they reappear and show the open windows, I hover the arrow on the...
  5. Why do my open browser windows keep re-arranging?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my open browser windows keep re-arranging?: Okay, so, I'm opening a window, and it says "not responding", right? But then the taskbar momentarily disappears, and then when it comes back, it has no app icons pinned to it for a few seconds. Then, when they reappear and show the open windows, I hover the arrow on the...
  6. Why do my open browser windows keep re-arranging?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Desktop icons keep re-arranging

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons keep re-arranging: Why do my desktop icons get rearranged each time a start up or even when I click on one of the icons and then come back to the desktop? This is very annoying. [Original Title: Desktop icons]...
  8. Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement: Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process...
  9. Desktop Arrangement

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Arrangement: Hello everybody! Today I encountered a problem: Windows 10 automatically arranges my desktop after using full screen apps. A dont know what is happening and what to do. Please help. 54279
  10. Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves: I'm resurrecting this because I've finally been able to narrow down what's happening when desktop icons re-arrange themselves even though auto-arrange icons is turned off. I've been paying more attention to what has been done when this occurs and I can now cause this issue to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my windows keeps multidesctop