Windows 10: Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop

Discus and support Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi My network is really simple. A win10 laptop and a win10 desktop. The desktop has a couple of hard drives and the laptop needs to see one of them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sarahk, Oct 5, 2015.

1. sarahk Win User

Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop

Hi

My network is really simple. A win10 laptop and a win10 desktop. The desktop has a couple of hard drives and the laptop needs to see one of them.

At various times it's all been good but then something mysterious happens and we're back to square one.

So
    • I've set up a homegroup and both computers belong to it
    • I've set up sharing so that the homegroup can read/write
    • I've added my husbands email address as a user on the desktop and accepted the invitation so that it doesn't show as pending

Yet, when I go to the laptop
    • I can see the homegroup and the two computers that are in it
    • I can see the network and the same two computers
    • If I click on the drives I get a no-permission error

I've obviously missed a step somewhere and I've gone over tutorials and guides but can't work out what it is. Any ideas?

:)

sarahk, Oct 5, 2015

2. Win 10 update causing network issues

I am running Win 10 on my desktop and Win 7 on my laptop with a home network connecting them. Three or four weeks ago a Win 10 update of some kind wrecked the network. My laptop can see the desktop just fine, but the Win 10 desktop can't find the path
    to the laptop. The Win 10 network diagnostics can't identify the problem. Help!

Florida Clay, Oct 5, 2015
  3. philipW99 Win User
    Unable to see shares on a Win7.1 desktop

Although I'm able to see my desktop computer in the network folder of my laptop I can't open it to see any of the shares!

My desktop is a Win 7.1 Ultimate system fully up to date. My laptop was a Win 8.1 system and had no problems networking with the desktop. I've now upgraded the laptop to Win 10 Pro, and subsequently done a clean install as well. BIOS and drivers are all
    up to date. I can no longer see the shares on the desktop.

Networking, on both machines, are set so that network discovery is on, file and printer sharing are on, public folder sharing is on, 128-bit encryption is on, password protected sharing is on and use user accounts and passwords is on. User name and password
    is the same on both machines. I've also put an entry in credentials manager on the laptop for access to the desktop. AND still I can't see the shares on the desktop.

So I switched on Homegroup and went through the various settings with no improvement.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can get access to my desktop from my laptop?

philipW99, Oct 5, 2015
  4. sarahk Win User

FWIW I've just changed a setting to use user accounts and passwords to connect

Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop [​IMG]

So when the laptop connects it gets asked for a password - I enter in the Windows password used when logging in etc and it's rejected.

Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop [​IMG]

sarahk, Oct 5, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Turn off Password protected sharing??? That's what I do, but only on the internal LAN side, not the external/public side.

Right click on Network and select Properties.
    Click on Change advanced sharing settings at left.
    Click the down arrow next to All Networks at the bottom.
    Select Turn off password protected sharing.
    Click the Save changes button.

Ztruker, Oct 5, 2015
  6. sarahk Win User
    Thanks Ztruker
    Making that change got rid of the password request but access is still denied

sarahk, Oct 5, 2015
  7. sarahk Win User
    Yay, fixed by doing the homegroup version of a reboot - I got the laptop to leave the homegroup and rejoin and somehow whatever was wrong got reset. #sofrustratedrightnow

thanks Ztruker for pitching in to help *Smile

sarahk, Oct 5, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

You're welcome, glad you got it fixed.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 laptop can't see a folder on desktop - Similar Threads - laptop can't folder

2. win 10 can't see win 10 computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win 10 can't see win 10 computers: I have 2 desktop computers running windows 10 home v. 22h2 and one running windows 11 home. the windows 10 computers can see the windows 11 computer but the win 11 can't see the win 10 computers. all networks are set to private and set to share without password protection....
  3. win 10 can't see win 10 computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win 10 can't see win 10 computers: I have 2 desktop computers running windows 10 home v. 22h2 and one running windows 11 home. the windows 10 computers can see the windows 11 computer but the win 11 can't see the win 10 computers. all networks are set to private and set to share without password protection....
  4. win 10 can't see win 10 computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. win 10 can't see win 10 computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Sharing Problem: Desktop sees Laptop, but Laptop does not see Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing Problem: Desktop sees Laptop, but Laptop does not see Desktop: I have desktop and laptop on same workgroup and same router. Desktop is ethernet cable attached, laptop via wifi. Both systems are at the same level of Windows 10 Pro X64 - 20H2 19042 Shares were created via "Give Access" in file explorer. The desktop sees the laptop and its...
  7. Win 10 PC can't see itself under Network Folder

Win 10 PC can't see itself under Network Folder: I remote support family computers. There are two computers PC-1 and PC-2 on a home LAN. Both PCs list PC-2 under their Network Folder but neither list PC-1. However, a UNC path works as PC-2 can access \\PC-1\c$. I'm trying to get PC-1 to list itself under Network. PC Specs...
  8. Win 10 PC can't see itself under Network Folder

Win 10 PC can't see itself under Network Folder: I remote support family computers using TeamViewer. This problem has two computers PC-1 and PC-2 on a home LAN. Neither PC-1 or PC-2 see PC-1 under Network Folder. Both PCs see PC-2 under Network. I'm trying to get PC-1 to see itself under Network. Although neither computer...
  9. Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop

Laptop sees desktop, but desktop doesn't see laptop: I'm configuring a new Win10 laptop. Initially, the laptop and my desktop (also Win10) could see each other under the Computer section under Network in File Explorer. This is over a hardwired Ethernet connection via a switch. I started copying a bunch of files from the desktop...
  10. Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive

Folders shared but desktop no longer seeing laptop's drive: I have three computers, main desktop, backup old desktop, and laptop. I had a guy come and set up sharing so they'd see each other. However, the main desktop has stopped seeing the laptop. When I turn on the laptop and it connects to the network, it can see the other two...