Windows 10: Win 10 Mail, does any of it work properly?

Discus and support Win 10 Mail, does any of it work properly? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am a hold off and planned to keep Windows 7 to EOL in 2020. I recently did a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade for a friend and was so delighted with it that I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Ohmster, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Ohmster Win User

Win 10 Mail, does any of it work properly?

I am a hold off and planned to keep Windows 7 to EOL in 2020. I recently did a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade for a friend and was so delighted with it that I now updated my own system to Windows 10. Very smooth install, update a few drivers and some programs, but working very well. Except for Mail.

What kind of joke is this Windows 7 Mail? It has to be the prettiest mail client I ever used, and the most inept and useless one at that. I install my AT&T email accounts and they configure nicely, but some never sync. I send myself some test mails, they never arrive but do arrive on my Android phone. There is no contact list, but typing a few bits into the To: line offers contact suggestions. This AT&T account I use most for friends and when I get, say, 2 emails and read them, they are gone! I must have hundreds or thousands of old emails, yet NONE show on Win10 email. Nothing to see. I used my Live 2012 server settings for win10 mail, did not work, says outdated settings. One hour later, "Not synced yet". Blue dots moving, no significant data downloading. No way to use with One Drive so I imagine sending 6 full size high res images will be a thing of the past. The gmail account synced well, I have mail going back to 2011 in that folder. My GoDaddy domain name email is working and showing past mail.

I will send a test mail from AT&T account to yahoo account to see if I can even send mail. Syncing, up to date, message present. Yahoo inbox somewhat full but I never used it until this year for things like web stuff that is not personal. I have 3 AT&T accounts. One is the Master account, never used for email. One for web/junk mail, and one for personal email. Personal one never syncs, it does send mail, but is otherwise useless with a totally empty inbox. Yahoo has email going back as far as 2011 in the inbox. I removed the obstinate AT&T account, reinstalled it, and same thing. Finally "up to date" with a "We didn't find anything here" message and not one single previous email in my box at all.

I get nagscreens several times a day that I do not have a default email client or the one I have cannot handle the requested protocol, use Outlook instead. Live 2012 is default and Outlook is even worse to setup than Win10 mail is. What kind of sick joke is this?

Is there anyway in hell to make Windows 10 email, get it to work as it should, and actually believe what it is telling me? Or have your guys switched over to "something good"? I am trying to continue to use Win10 webmail but if this situation does not improve, this new email has to GO!

What are you guys using for email on Windows 10? Is anyone happy with Win10 mail at all and what does it do for you? Can someone give me a workng AT&T email setup for win10 mail? I think if I had that, might have the patience to wait for bigger and better things like large file support backed by an MS drive and of course a bloody contact book of all things! Help me with this please!

:)

Ohmster, Aug 4, 2016
  2. r1666b Win User

Win 10 mail app not compatible with work. Using a windows 10 key on windows 8.1?

Hi

i just purchased a surface pro 4 with windows 10. The work email is not compatible with windows 10 mail app but it does work on the win 8.1 mail app.

Can i install the win 8.1 mail app on win 10? or alternatively can i downgrade to windows 8.1 using my win 10 licence?

many thanks

r1666b, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Win 10 Mail Folders

Hi Ziggy_S

Thanks for your reply - but it does only seem to work in Win 8.1. Other forums are stating positively that it is not possible from within the Win 10 Mail app. They are also saying that Win 10 is not likely to be sorted in the near future - Oh dear!

I would however still like to know if I can retain Windows Live Mail in my Win 7 PC if I upgrade to 10 as there is so much work in starting again even if Win 10 Mail app does eventually get sorted.

Best regard - John

JohnClemens79, Aug 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Thunderbird. I went independent of MS after they swapped from Outlook Express to Win Mail then took that away (some of that is STILL there in Win 10!). MS wanted to play 'now you see it, now you don't' with email clients, and I just didn't want to play any more.

Too tiresome working out how to move their randomly distributed email client data around.

dalchina, Aug 4, 2016
  5. Ohmster Win User
    Thanks for the tip. I don't know anything about Thunderbird but for a tiny bit of it in Linux. I ruled out Windows 10 Mail as inherently broken. It is probably the "prettiest" email client out there but it does not work, at all! And I really want to use it. But since it is so badly broken, I need something else. Still using Live Mail 2012 and that is not bad. I will agree that Outlook Express was the absolute best html email program ever written. It was the scumbags abusing the html pane by filling it with harmful script that pulled that plug forever. I used to send email with streaming music and my own video, playing right in the page of an OE email. Never again it seems.

Anyone else have any luck at all with Windows 10 Mail or is this really just alpha software that somehow got released with Windows?

Ohmster, Aug 5, 2016
  6. gpstoloff Win User
    The W10 Mail app is designed to be a front-end to various Web-based e-mail systems (Outlook.com, Yahoo, Gmail, etc.), with only the ability to display what's on the Web system. It's a minor upgrade to the original W8 Mail "Metro" app, which was designed as a touch-based interface that could also be used with a keyboard. There's no off-line storage, which makes it a poor replacement for WLM2012, in my book.

Unfortunately, MS is in the process of eliminating Outlook.com's usage of the DeltaSync (aka AirSync) interface protocol, which eliminates future use of WLM2012. They propose 2 options:
    • Getting a subscription to the Outlook application within Office, or
    • Retrieving messages only with an IMAP connection
    The first option is a significant annual cost, but the second eliminates the Calendar and Contacts synchronization.

As a result, I've moved to emClient, a paid application that provides all the functionality of WLM, including Mail, Calendar, & Contacts -- plus a flexible off-line folder system.

gpstoloff, Aug 7, 2016
  7. Ohmster Win User
    Oh thank you very much, I had no idea of how it works. Currently I am still using Live Mail 2012 that I had before the Windows 20 update. I keep getting on screen notifications that there is no configured mail client that can handle the current protocol, please configure Outlook to be your email client and I do not like Outlook.

MS Calendar and Contacts I could care less about. I have an Android Moto X Pure and use Google Calendar which syncs with my phone, along with Gmail which also syncs and provides all of my contacts. So Google does my calendar, calendar events, sync with phone, and notification of events. Google Calendar rocks because when I get a phone notification, if I put the address into the event, I tap for maps and navigation, takes me right to the appointment. I use a PC every day so it is very easy to make calendar events right on the PC. MS has nothing that comes even close. But I do love Live Mail 2012 because it does all of my email accounts, pop and imap, and I can download my Google contacts as a csv file, import to Live Mail, and I have my contacts that way. Not very good method because Google and MS do not sync in any way. Live Mail 2012 is 4 years old and Microsoft will not update it, has not done so in 4 years, will not support it, and will find some way to phase it out fairly soon, no doubt.

What you said about Windows 10 Mail being such crap makes sense. It is so barren of functionality that I assumed it to be alpha software. The fact that you must tie it to a suitable back end would give it functionality, although I am not good at picking or setting up back ends for an email client. The entire thing is such a freaking hassle, why must it be this way? On Android I have NO such issues. Only with Microsoft and how very badly they want a piece of that monthly billing pie. It disgusts me. If Google or Blue Mail would release a Windows client, I would be on it like white on rice. I have about 5 or 6 email accounts and would love to have them all in one place. Yahoo, Gmail, 3 AT&T accounts, 2 GoDaddy private domain mail accounts and one forwards to my AT&T friend account.

I am quite experienced with this stuff, love to root my own phones, and have been doing computers for decades, including Linux but no Macs. Dude, or anyone else, you seem to have a good grip on what is going on with Windows 10 and email, just give me a simple solution or client to use and I will be so grateful. And how to stop those blasted "Enable Outlook as your email client because you do not have a default or the one you do have is not good enough" messages. I am just so tired of all this I cannot think anymore. Suggestions, anyone. Please! *Huh

I do not believe the way of the future is Microsoft, other than operating systems. Google has done such a good job on sewing up the Android connects and syncs to the PC that Microsoft does not stand a chance and they will *never* cooperate, we all have seen what Microsoft does to it's competitors that "stand in their way", although Google is way too mighty for Microsoft to simply come in and crush the life out of them.

Remember Netscape or was that before your time? MS did not care about the Internet so a good browser with media was needed. Netscape filled the bill for free, became the best browser you could have, went IPO, then Microsoft "woke up". They used their leverage to give away a fairly decent browser by putting it into Windows free. They got sued for it and then stated that Internet Explorer (Which was no way on par with Netscape and catching up quickly) could NOT be removed from Windows as it was an integral part of the OS. Remove Explorer and destroy the OS. The EU courts did not buy it, and make them make it possible to uninstall Internet Explorer from Windows. MS won out overall, even the sanctions was simply "the cost of doing business" and Netscape went bankrupt.

So, stick with Live Mail 2012 which will die sometime soon, or, go with what? I want to stick with Google to handle all of my mail, contacts, and calendar because the sync to phone is fantastic, I never lose anything, everything is backed up and restored by Google, not to mention the Google Device Manager. How many times have I used it to find my misplaced and one time lost cellphone? NOTE: NEVER lock your phone with the Google Device Manager as there is no way to unlock it again if you find the phone or in my case, the phone got ran over in traffic. I found it by dev mgr before the thing got run over and I took out the SD Card which had a complete backup of the phone on it, including root. After restoring my backup to a replacement Moto X Phone, I found it Locked by Google with no way of unlocking it. The ONLY way I could get my phone back after 2 hours of constantly refined Google searches was to boot to recovery (TWRP), and use the file manager in the boot loader to delete or rename all of the files in /data/system/ that end in the word "key". THAT took the lock off and I could only do it because I have a phone with an unlocked bootloader and TWRP installed.

To hell with option 1. Option 2 sounds nice but not all of my email accounts have IMAP access. Only Gmail for now so far. Somebody please, throw me a line, I have been sitting at the Internet Help Desk since the days of USENET and long enough to get arthritis doing it and helping others. Thank you, thank you all! *Huh

Here is that annoying message that never goes away and keeps coming back.

Win 10 Mail, does any of it work properly? [​IMG]

This looks pretty good. Anyone have experience with it? Good or not? Multiple mail accounts with insert pictures, rich text, etc?
    Mailbird

I am trying Mailbird right now and this is pretty darned good. BUT, I downloaded for free and get the Pro mode for a short time, then back to "lite". I want all 9 of my email accounts and although I do not mind paying a reasonably small fee for a decent program you have to pay for this one. $6 a year for Pro or $33.50 for Pro Lifetime. Hmmm, so far, I like it. Just like Blue Mail for Android and so far there is nothing better than Bluemail. This is pretty much the same thing but you have to pay. Might be worth it though, sure looks nice. Can we send pictures? Time to find out. Yeah it does pictures. This is not perfect in every sense at first glance, but I can certainly live with this if it stays this way. 6 bucks for a year of pro or 20 bucks for lifetime pro. If it runs out real quick, I might go for the one year shot but if nothing better comes out, Mailbird it is! ...so far. *Rolleyes

Yeah, Mailbird will work just fine. It is almost exactly like Bluemail for Android, almost. I like Live Mail 2012 a little better but we all know those days are numbered. I not only took the free version with Pro trial activated, they are having a one day sale today ½ price for Pro at $6/Year or $22 for life with 30 day money back guarantee. I popped for it because this will do what I need. Not only does it have a calendar, but it has the real Google calendar I use every day that syncs to my phones and connects with tons of apps if you want. It did setup properly ALL of my mail accounts properly, actually, I did not have to do anything, just import them all from Live Mail. This is nice. So far, so good.

Man there are so many useful well known apps that install or link to this mail app it is incredible. Mailbird has a good thing going here. I sure hope they do not wreck it. I would like to see more options on the formatting toolbar for new messages but what they offer is adequate.

EDIT:
    I sort of got off topic here, the OP is:

And apparently, it is junk. I got some good answers here, I thought that the new mail program was Alpha software and was informed that it is really a front end for some other client like Outlook. I never liked Outlook for email, it is too much of a "business app" and Live Mail was more of a friendly, html rich email program. It looks like there is no magic I can perform on Windows 10 Mail, it does not work and since it is free, I doubt that MS will ever do anything to improve it. Thunderbird was a suggested replacement, I have used it in Linux, but it is not exactly the kind of email program I like, i.e.: something rich in html to make nice emails for friends and family. I am using Mailbird not, they seem to be taking advantage of the glut of suitable email programs for Windows 10 by charging money for the app. It is not as html rich as I would like and it does have some issues like unexpected closing of the program or crashing at times. Especially when inserting pictures. Sad, I hope they fix this. But for now, this will suit my needs. Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it.

Ohmster, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Mail, does any of it work properly? - Similar Threads - Mail does properly

2. The mail application is not working properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The mail application is not working properly: When I go to Outlook in Windows Mail app it doesn't load the emails first, but I can't go to others either, after clicking shutdown it doesn't work, and even when I go to Outlook and then back to my main gmail, Still not working properly! that could be happening?...
  3. The mail application is not working properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The mail application is not working properly: When I go to Outlook in Windows Mail app it doesn't load the emails first, but I can't go to others either, after clicking shutdown it doesn't work, and even when I go to Outlook and then back to my main gmail, Still not working properly! that could be happening?...
  4. Mail app not working properly.

Mail app not working properly.: After 3 or 4 years of working perfectly fine, my Mail app on Windows 10 has suddenly stopped working properly a few days ago. Initially it wouldn't stay open and would shut down soon after I opened it. Now it will open and will download my e-mails and I can see the list of...
  5. Windows Mail is not working properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Mail is not working properly: Windows 10 application Mail is not working correctly. As of a couple weeks ago, I opened windows mail and receive notifications that I have new mail, but when I click on an email message, nothing is displayed. Or I get one message to display and when I click on another...
  6. mail app does not print properly.

mail app does not print properly.: I try to print a mail, using the mail app. Mostly it was not possible to print the whole mail and then it does even not appear in the print list of the printer. In some cases it was possible to print 1 or 2 pages of that mail. Whet I print that mail to the PDF-printer, I...
  7. Mail app not working properly on Windows 10

Mail app not working properly on Windows 10: I had to Reset my Win 10 (because of problems). I was using "em Client" working before, but I downloaded it again but would not work. So, I then setup "Windows Mail", with my email address, etc.. and made it my default APP, and Windows said "you are all set". But, "Mail"...
  8. Mail App in windows 10 does not work properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mail App in windows 10 does not work properly: When I add a gmail account in my windows mail app, the account added but nothing happened. No inbox or sent mail are shown. Even I can not send any mail. When I start to sync it shows error code: 0*80072746. I tried many times to solve this. But I failed, Please help me to...
  9. Mail app not working properly

Mail app not working properly: Mail app was working fine and then came creators and since then it has been doing downhill. First, I stopped getting notifications. Then, the Mail app stopped checking for mail. I have to manually sync it for mail to come. I've tried uninstalls/reinstalls, resets,...
  10. New Core Temp does not work properly in Win 10 Pro

New Core Temp does not work properly in Win 10 Pro: Hi folks! I just can't get the new Core Temp version 1.0 RC7 to work properly with my Win 10 Pro RTM installation. I am using it with Desktop Gadgets All CPU Meter. I can get it to do everything but load itself at Windows 10 startup. The option to select it in the Options...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. yahoo login error code 80072746 windows 10