Windows 10: Win 10 Network sharing failure

Discus and support Win 10 Network sharing failure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi For some reason this has stopped working as expected (I think) after creator's update on PC had to be applied manually as automated update kept... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kevvyb, Feb 10, 2018.

1. kevvyb Win User

Win 10 Network sharing failure

Hi

For some reason this has stopped working as expected (I think) after creator's update on PC had to be applied manually as automated update kept failing.

I am trying to share specific folders between laptop and pc which was working fine before and I was able to see both machines from either machine under Network. I was using a syncing program, Beyond Compare. Both machines are running Windows 10. And I could sync from either machine to the other.

Having looked at this to try to resolve it I am not now sure that I am confusing Homegroup and Network Sharing as at one point I appeared to have icons for both (?) showing under Network. There were certainly duplicated icons in any case, some being the win 10 library icon and the others the standard windows folder with green bar, but for same folders. I was also in position of being unable to leave homegroup and unable to create another.

Steps so far and current situation:
    • C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\RoamingDeleted folder PeerNetworking and all contents
    • Restarted both machines
    • Made sure that following were running and set to automatic:Homegroup ListenerHomegroup ProviderPeer Networking GroupingUPnP Device Host
    • Restarted machines again
    • This enabled me to remove a homegroup that was not previously removing
    • Once both machines showing no homegroup and I was able to create one...Then created new Homegroup on Laptop, Joined it on PC. Still unable to see laptop under Networks.
    • Removed Homegroup altogether
    • Shared out required folders on both PC Laptop and PC by right clicking on each and sharing to my username which is same on both PC and laptop.

Now have PC's folders showing as available under network on laptop and able to use syncing program from laptop to PC. BUT unable to see laptop's shared folders on laptop and use syncing program from PC.

I am sure is should not be this hard! Can anyone shed any light? Thanks in advance.

:)

kevvyb, Feb 10, 2018
  2. SigmaW Win User

Windows 10 cannot see the server

Fine then let me rephrase the question.

On my HOME network, I have a couple of Win 10 machines and a couple of Win 7 machines.

The Win 7 machines can see all the computers on the network.

The Win 10 machines can only see the Win 10 machines on the network.

The failure to see other machines occurred when the Win 10 machines were updated to 1511.

What up with THAT?

SigmaW, Feb 10, 2018
  3. Win 10 Network file sharing

I have 3 pcs on a network. One desktop running Win 10 and another desktop running Vista. They are connected to the network via Ethernet. The other pc is a laptop running Win 10 and connected via WiFi.
    The Win 10 laptop can see and share files from the Vista desktop. The Vista desktop can see and share files from the Win 10 laptop. They both can neither see or share files from the Win 10 desktop. They both know it is there because they show it as a media
    device only.
    The Win 10 desktop can see and share files from both the Win 10 laptop and the Vista desktop.
    I have shared the files on the win 10 desktop and tried to set all the sharing options I could locate. I have compared the settings of the 2 Win 10 pcs and I think the match as far as I can tell.
    Any ideas on what the problem might be with the network?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Network & internet

charlesgarvin, Feb 10, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Have you tried using the laptop's IP address on the PC instead? Thus instead of \\machine-name\share-name you'd use \\192.168.0.17\share-name (where you substitute the PC's IP address for the random private IP I plugged in here; you can get the PC's IP address by running ipconfig at the command line on that machine, or through any number of other tools and utilities). This often works when NetBIOS naming or SMB issues get in the way, of which I suspect one, the other, or both may be involved here.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 10, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Is NetBIOS running on both PCs?

Samuria, Feb 10, 2018
  6. kevvyb Win User
    Thanks Ed, will give that one a go and post back.

kevvyb, Feb 10, 2018
  7. kevvyb Win User
    Thanks for reply. I tried checking that before posting but he new Windows interface makes it harder to find. I used to know where to look. Now I always spend more time looking for it. Can you tell me where I look please?

kevvyb, Feb 10, 2018
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Hey kevvyb,
    You can see if NetBIOS is running ...

Open a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all

Win 10 Network sharing failure [​IMG]

Eagle51, Feb 10, 2018
  9. cereberus Win User
    It is worth noting MS have said next version will no longer have Homegroups.

I recommend using conventional network sharing now, and make sure the network profiles are set to private (slightly confusing as public means "for use in public areas" and sharing is more restricted, and private means reverse "for use in private areas and sharing is more open).

cereberus, Feb 10, 2018
  10. kevvyb Win User
    Here's a funny thing. Disabled on BOTH machines! At least, on default setting.

kevvyb, Feb 11, 2018
  11. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Feb 11, 2018
  12. kevvyb Win User
    Run on PC finds one other, the laptop which shows as master browser (what does this mean please?)
    PC itself not detected.

Running tool on laptop finds one computer, the PC which is not master browser.

NetBios remains disabled on both machines (do I need to restart?)

kevvyb, Feb 11, 2018
  13. Samuria Win User

If netbios isnt running you cant connect see other pcs by name you can only connect via ip. when you look for a pc windows asks the master browser for a list it doesnt look for pc just asks MB netbios is like DNS for local network

Samuria, Feb 11, 2018
  14. kevvyb Win User
    Well something is quite clearly not behaving as expected. NetBios reports as disabled on both machines but from the laptop I am able to access the shared files on the PC! And I was able to do this before trying to enable NetBios via command line.

But still unable to access shared files on the laptop from the PC.

kevvyb, Feb 11, 2018
  15. Samuria Win User
    Have you added NetBIOS in network card properties you should have a list file print sharing and others

Samuria, Feb 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Network sharing failure - Similar Threads - Network sharing failure

2. Win 11 sharing on ethernet network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 sharing on ethernet network: How do I get my win 11 pc to see my win 10 pc on ethernet LAN. I can use the printer and access the files on the win 11 pc. The advanced sharing settings are the same. The only security is microsoft's, My sign in is the same on both machinesModerator's Note: This should be in...
  3. Win 11 sharing on ethernet network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 sharing on ethernet network: How do I get my win 11 pc to see my win 10 pc on ethernet LAN. I can use the printer and access the files on the win 11 pc. The advanced sharing settings are the same. The only security is microsoft's, My sign in is the same on both machinesModerator's Note: This should be in...
  4. Win 10 Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings: 8.8.2021Hello,SInce hte last two updates I am having problems connect PC1 with PC2 dispite the Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Centre\Advanced sharing settings are correct and the individuals disk have schareable directories. Sometime it funktion then...
  5. Win 10 20H2: Network Shares kills File Explorer

Win 10 20H2: Network Shares kills File Explorer: Hello, after the upgrade to Windows 10 20H2 we have the problem that the File Explorer does not react anymore if the noteobook is not connected to the business network and file shares are mapped. If the user is connected via VPN it works without problems. This problem makes...
  6. Win 10 may upgrade 2004 brake network shares

Win 10 may upgrade 2004 brake network shares: Hello Everyone! I have a D-Link 320L NAS. After I upgraded win 10 with the may upgrade the network shares doesn't accessible anymore. Is there any idea what happened? The NAS has a fix IP address, and it is in the same Workgroup than my computer. SMB1 is enabled, because...
  7. Manual Setup in Network and Sharing Center, Not appearing. Win 10

Manual Setup in Network and Sharing Center, Not appearing. Win 10: Hello! I recently came into contact with a pre-owned PC The issue I'm having is that I can not connect to a wireless network using my device. I've tried checking to see if its an outdated adapter, of which windows says is fine for my device. I came across a guide using...
  8. Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access

Sharing - Win 7 Share - Win 10 access: Just added a new Win 10 Pro desktop to the network. It needs to access a Win 7 desktop shared folder. I get the error message Windows cannot access \\NAComp1-PC Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a network problem. 0x80070035 The network path...
  9. Win 10 not accessing shares on the network

Win 10 not accessing shares on the network: I have a problem that Win 10 Is not accessing any share on the network. Shared folders, File server drives are also not accessible. just error 0x80070035. I have tried almost every thing on the internet but unable to solve the problem.....please any suggestions are highly...
  10. Sharing 2 Win 10 computers on a home network

Sharing 2 Win 10 computers on a home network: I have tried to do this but get asked for name and password, I've tried using both on both machines but always says wrong. Every time I search it points to turning password off in Network and Sharing Centre but this is not an option on either machine. Any ideas please?...