Windows 10: Win 10 not opening to log in screen.

Discus and support Win 10 not opening to log in screen. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am hoping that someone can help with my problem as i am a complete computer numpty. I installed W10 five weeks ago and until now all has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Loggo, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Loggo Win User

Win 10 not opening to log in screen.

I am hoping that someone can help with my problem as i am a complete computer numpty.

I installed W10 five weeks ago and until now all has been well.

When I turn on my laptop the"normal" picture screen opening appears showing the correct date / time.
    Any action to open the log in screen or any key press results in the log on screen showing for about a half second followed by a blank screen with only the cursor arrow showing.
    About a minute later the picture reappears.

What the heck do I do next? ?

:)

Loggo, Sep 15, 2015

2. Unable to Log in & Activate Win 10. Log in not offered.

Hi George,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if you've upgraded to Windows 10 from a genuine qualifying version of Windows 7 SP1, then it should not ask for Product key and it gets activated automatically.

However, if still you encounter the problem, then I would suggest you to refer to the following link and check if that helps:

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

Let us know if you need further assistance and well be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Sep 15, 2015
  3. Unable to Log in & Activate Win 10. Log in not offered.

Running Win 7.1 Home Prem and unable to Log in to free Win 10. Laptop has "finger scan" which did not work during Upgrade to Win 10 and log-in by PW failed (bad key strokes or too little time to revert to PW entry) and log-in not offered again. Boot up
    stops before log-in offered. Agent gave me address to download ISO file for Win 10 conversion. Agent said new Product Key not necessary. Made ISO bootable USB. Proceeds to request for Product Key. I entered Win 7.1 key, but Free Win 10 looking for different
    Product Code.

Can't go forward & CANNOT GET BACK TO AGENT. Access to my Computer has been denied for 6 days at time of posting.

How do I get Product Key for FREE version OR how do I SAFELY GO BACK TO WIN 7.1 HOME PREM without damaging existing file & Program Structure.?????

GeorgePatton_797, Sep 15, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

You mean this yeah? (It's called a 'Lock Screen' by the way) *Smile
    Win 10 not opening to log in screen. [​IMG]

• What picture appears?
    • Are you saying you don't actually reach the 'log in' screen?
    • That you are unable to either log in or access Windows 10?

Edit: Welcome to the forum Loggo *Smile

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    You've just marked the thread as solved (while I was typing a response to your query).

Please could you share with us what happened please. What the exact problem was and how it was solved. Thanks

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  6. Loggo Win User
    Yes why me that is what I am saying.

I get the lock screen (thanks for that ) and any attempt to move forward to the log in screen gives me a glimpse of it for half a second and then the screen turns black with only the cursor to be seen.

Loggo, Sep 15, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    And is it now solved? (you've marked thread as solved)

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  8. Loggo Win User

Sorry the problem is not solved. I am writing this on my phone and the "reply" tab is next to the "mark resolved" tab. And I have fat fingers !

Loggo, Sep 15, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    So you have not been able to successfully log in and access Windows 10. Is that correct?

If so does the solution linked below help? Please advise
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...tml#post303811

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    Sounds like you allowed KB3081444 to be installed, which was a problematic update MS released a few weeks back. The repercussions are still occurring, as in your case. It had that exact same effect on me, I had to stick my Windows 10 disk in my drive, boot to that, and run System Restore. You will not be able to get in until that's been removed.

Hopefully you will have a restore point to before that was installed. After you restore, if you can restore, you will have to hide that update. A Fixit was released recently that allows bad updates to be hidden, I'll find the link and edit this.

OK download WUshowhide.diagcab from here, save it to your desktop. Hide KB3081444 before it downloads again.

XweAponX, Sep 15, 2015
  11. Loggo Win User
    Thanks Xwe. Trouble is I can't download anything as I cannot open the laptop.
    BTW I did get a response using the windows key/P/down arrow. But it was not much use.

Loggo, Sep 15, 2015
  12. WhyMe Win User
    If kb3081444 is the culprit then you should be able to uninstall the dirty rascal from within Safe Mode. You can access Safe Mode from a Windows 10 installation or recovery disk by going into the Advanced Startup Options. If you have not created a disk then you may be able to get there by repeatedly causing Windows to continually fail at boot (turning off the power button during boot for example). You may have to make if fail to boot a few times before Windows tries to access repair options

How to Roll Back or Uninstall a Problematic Windows Update/

Assuming kb3081444 is the fly in the proverbial ointment, you can then use MS Show & Hide Utility upon successful Win10 boot, to prevent the bad boy from re-installing itself. (Show & Hide was linked to earlier by XweAponX)

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
  13. Loggo Win User

Finaly got in. Immediately began an auto update so I let that run and all seems to be ok.
    Very many thanks to all who offered help. I was completely stuck without your input.

Loggo, Sep 15, 2015
  14. Loggo Win User
    Thanks again. I got in by turning off and on a few times making sure I turned back on before fully open. After a few times I left it to open fully and it went straight into auto update.
    I am wondering if the problem was caused by turning off during a previous update ?

Loggo, Sep 15, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    To help others, could you state what you did to solve the issue.

And please mark the thread as solved too so that others can find the solution easily. Thanks

Well done for persevering! *Smile

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 10 not opening to log in screen. - Similar Threads - opening log screen

2. Win 10 logging password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Win 10 logging password: Hi there, I got an issue and need to resolve as soon as possible. I used my personal Microsoft account on my company laptop, but I forgot to unlink my personal account when I resigned from my previous company, also I used my company phone number for 2 factors authenticator....
  3. Win 10 logging password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 logging password: Hi there, I got an issue and need to resolve as soon as possible. I used my personal Microsoft account on my company laptop, but I forgot to unlink my personal account when I resigned from my previous company, also I used my company phone number for 2 factors authenticator....
  4. Win 10 logging password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Picture on Opening, Lock? Screen, Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Picture on Opening, Lock? Screen, Win 10: When Windows boots up, a picture of an old car shows up, It is one in my picture folder, I don't want ANY picture there, how do I delete it and stop any other one from showing up. Thank You...
  6. NO DISPLAY OF SIGN-IN OPTIONS ON WIN 10 LOG-ON SCREEN

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    NO DISPLAY OF SIGN-IN OPTIONS ON WIN 10 LOG-ON SCREEN: recently, my windows no longer display the sign-in option so I can select which method to log on with. just the usual enter password. so I'm unable to use my hello PIN or picture etc to log on. hoe do I fix that?...
  7. Cant log in blurry screen win 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cant log in blurry screen win 10: It seems as though Hewlett Packard computers are affected by this new windows 10 update, i am experiencing most of what other are writing on the forum about the blurry screen and login issues. My Hewlett Packard is an "all in one" about 5 years old. Its seems like we will all...
  8. Can't log into win 10, screen frozen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't log into win 10, screen frozen: After 1803 update computer worked fine for maybe a day. Now I can't log on, screen is frozen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cant-log-into-win-10-screen-frozen/645f930e-4a2d-4f1d-bb41-e5be25769f77
  9. Can't log in win 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't log in win 10: I installed windows 10 on a dell inspiron 1318 from a created disk. Installation seemed to go ok. When I boot it up it comes up ok with a log in screen. Says to log in with MS acct. Win 10 wont accept it even though the same log gets me into my account, email, win 8.1, but...
  10. win 10 wont boot to log on screen

in Windows 10 Support
    win 10 wont boot to log on screen: So far I have enjoyed my new win 10. This morning the boot stops on the intro screen. this is where you touch any key & it goes on to the log on. No key works. I tried another keyboard & that didn't work. Con comeone help me please? 11259