Windows 10: Win 10 Not using all RAM

Discus and support Win 10 Not using all RAM in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I just bought a new memory stick, and my pc is showing it has 8gb but only using 3.5 gb, which is the same as it was before. i cant see anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ravenfaust, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Win 10 Not using all RAM

Hello, I just bought a new memory stick, and my pc is showing it has 8gb but only using 3.5 gb, which is the same as it was before. i cant see anything in my bios to change this, i have tried checking the maxmem in msconfig, that is off. I did a mem test which showed everything was fine.. Im running windows 10 preview build(Latest preview)

Win 10 Not using all RAM [​IMG]

Win 10 Not using all RAM [​IMG]

is there a way to force windows to use all ram?
    For some reason the bios on this computer is really basic, it only allows you to change the boot order and such, there is nothing in there about memory etc.

HP 110-014 Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)

Model #: H5P35AA

Thanks !

:)

ravenfaust, Apr 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 RAM limit?

Upgrading to Win 10 from Win 7 Home Premium (Uses maximum of 16GB Ram), will I now be able to use all of my 32Gb Ram?

Peter_Mitchell, Apr 25, 2016
  3. I own win 7 pro x64 and reserved my upgrade to win 10. Will this upgraded win 10 also be pro?

I have 32Gb of Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 DDR3 RAM. I am worried that if I upgrade to win 10 it would be the home edition with a limit of 16Gb RAM use. I reserved my copy of win 10 as I can still choose wether or not to install after download. but I would
    like to know if my upgraded win 10 would be the pro version like my win 7 is so I can use all my ram and install more in the future without hitting a max RAM ceiling.

Can a Microsoft rep please elaborate on this for me?

Lone Wolfe 1979, Apr 25, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

Win 10 Not using all RAM

Remove the stick and reinstall it.

Do you also see the Hardware reserved on the task manager says 4.4 GB Hardware Reserved? That means the memory is being used for another device "Graphics Card, etc"

Do you have the memory stick in the correct slot?, Also, when the 4GB stick was inserted, did it also read 3.6 GB?

If you have another PC, you may want to test the Stick in a different PC

lmaneke, Apr 25, 2016
  5. I switched slots and its still showing the same info. Yes when the stick was inserted it showed 3.6gb by itself, then i put the other stick in and its the same thing.. Any idea how to change this? Or should i just return the ram ?

ravenfaust, Apr 25, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Did you buy the correct memory for your HP ?? both memory sticks have to be the exact same. Here are your specs from HP's site for your computer.

•Single channel memory architecture
    •Two 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
    •Supports the following:
    •PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    •PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
    •Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
    •Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    NOTE: 32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory
    •Supports up to 32 GB on 64-bit systems (with 16 GB DIMMs)

OldMike65, Apr 25, 2016
  7. only difference is the brand, one is samsung one in Kingston

ravenfaust, Apr 25, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Win 10 Not using all RAM

You can also download Speccy Free version and have it check your memory specs.
    Speccy - Free Download

Good little program to check your spec's. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 25, 2016
  9. i checked the video card info and its showing i have 8gb for video card.. How can i switch that so the computer can use the ram not the gfx card?

ravenfaust, Apr 25, 2016
  10. Memory

8.0 GB DDR3

Speed: 1066 MHz
    Slots used: 2 of 2
    Form factor: DIMM
    Hardware reserved: 4.4 GB

Available 2.0 GB
    Cached 1.7 GB
    Committed 1.8/7.2 GB
    Paged pool 211 MB
    Non-paged pool 96.5 MB
    In use (Compressed) 1.5 GB (42.7 MB)

ravenfaust, Apr 25, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    They both have to be one or the other of these 2 types.
    •PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
    or
    •PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

If one is different they won't work.... Also.....they might have to be a Matched pair ....not sure in your case.

OldMike65, Apr 25, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Download that program Speccy it will give you more information....

OldMike65, Apr 25, 2016
  13. Win 10 Not using all RAM

RAM
    Memory slots
    Total memory slots 2
    Used memory slots 2
    Free memory slots 0
    Memory
    Type DDR3
    Size 8192 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency 532.1 MHz
    CAS# Latency (CL) 7 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 7 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 7 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 20 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 27 clocks
    Physical Memory
    Memory Usage 49 %
    Total Physical 3.57 GB
    Available Physical 1.82 GB
    Total Virtual 7.20 GB
    Available Virtual 5.18 GB
    SPD
    Number Of SPD Modules 2
    Slot #1
    Slot #2

Then:
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Manufacturer ATI
    Model AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    GPU Wrestler
    Device ID 1002-9809
    Subvendor HP (103C)
    Current Performance Level Level 0
    Voltage 0.875 V
    Die Size 59 mm²
    Transistors 59 M
    Release Date Jun 2012
    DirectX Support 11.0
    GPU Clock 528.0 MHz
    Temperature 123 °F
    Core Voltage 0.875 V
    Driver version 15.201.1151.0
    ROPs 4
    Shaders 80 unified
    Memory Type DDR3
    Memory 384 MB
    Bus Width System
    Pixel Fillrate 2.1 GPixels/s
    Texture Fillrate 4.2 GTexels/s
    Bandwidth 8.5 GB/s <--- WHY!!!??

ravenfaust, Apr 25, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    That's just the Bandwidth ...Speed ....not how much memory the GPU is using!!! Which in your case is very little by the spec's I looked up.

I've asked you twice to run Speccy but I don't see that you have.....don't know where your getting these spec's.... but your memory spec's are not showing the type of memory sticks you installed...

Computer memory and what is on your graphics card are completely different They don't share ....

OldMike65, Apr 25, 2016
  15. i pasted that from speccy

ravenfaust, Apr 25, 2016
Thema:

Win 10 Not using all RAM

1. Win 10 Not using all RAM - Similar Threads - using RAM

2. Windows 10 Not Using All RAM?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Not Using All RAM?: Hello, first of all, sorry for my english , not my first language.Second of all, i just upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32GB. The problem is, that windows sees 32gb but uses only 16GB. The rest is "reserved for hardware", which is wierd, because to my knowledge, this is for...
  3. Windows 10 Not Using All RAM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Not Using All RAM?: Hello, first of all, sorry for my english , not my first language.Second of all, i just upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32GB. The problem is, that windows sees 32gb but uses only 16GB. The rest is "reserved for hardware", which is wierd, because to my knowledge, this is for...
  4. Windows 10 Not Using All RAM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Quality Windows Audio Video Experience" using alot of RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Quality Windows Audio Video Experience" using alot of RAM: I just recently upgraded my computer with most of my part but no my problem is that "Quality Windows Audio Video Experience" is using up to 12000MB of my ram. When I start my pc its around maybe 1000-2000MB max but the more time that goes on it just ramping up until my...
  6. "Quality Windows Audio Video Experience" using alot of RAM

"Quality Windows Audio Video Experience" using alot of RAM: I just recently upgraded my computer with most of my part but no my problem is that "Quality Windows Audio Video Experience" is using up to 12000MB of my ram. When I start my pc its around maybe 1000-2000MB max but the more time that goes on it just ramping up until my...
  7. "Quality Windows Audio Video Experience" using alot of RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. my laptop task manager said i used 1 of 2 ram slot even though im using both slots 4gb x 2...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my laptop task manager said i used 1 of 2 ram slot even though im using both slots 4gb x 2...: so my task manager said 1 of 2 ram slots used, when i hover it saidslot 1: emptyslot 2: 4,0GB, 1600mhzbut it show 8gb of ram just finemy bro's laptop have both slot used and it said 2 of 4 slot usedis this the same case just my task manager only managed to detect 2 slot and...
  9. my laptop task manager said i used 1 of 2 ram slot even though im using both slots 4gb x 2...

my laptop task manager said i used 1 of 2 ram slot even though im using both slots 4gb x 2...: so my task manager said 1 of 2 ram slots used, when i hover it saidslot 1: emptyslot 2: 4,0GB, 1600mhzbut it show 8gb of ram just finemy bro's laptop have both slot used and it said 2 of 4 slot usedis this the same case just my task manager only managed to detect 2 slot and...
  10. my laptop task manager said i used 1 of 2 ram slot even though im using both slots 4gb x 2...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging