Windows 10: Win 10 preview never worked for me... but......

Discus and support Win 10 preview never worked for me... but...... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried many times to get win 10 preview to work on my Samsung RV511 laptop which easily meets all the requirements.... it hangs immediately at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by base1268, Jun 9, 2015.

1. base1268 Win User

Win 10 preview never worked for me... but......

I tried many times to get win 10 preview to work on my Samsung RV511 laptop which easily meets all the requirements.... it hangs immediately at the logo screen when trying to install. Naturally, I could get it running in a VM but that doesn't allow the OS to use the real processing power of my laptop.

However.... I'm running Win 8.1 perfectly on this machine and so I received the 'Reserve your free upgrade' invite.

How do I discover absolutely 100% if in fact the official Win 10 will actually run on my laptop....? Logically one would imagine that if the preview (any build up to 10049 when I gave up trying) wouldn't install then the official won't install either....?.... but surely the invite software is designed to test a system is capable of running Win 10 before it issues the invite...?

I tried many times to get help from the official MS Win 10 people.... but not enough staff watching their forum to cope with 4 million potential issues and I could never get a definitive answer.

If anyone here can advise me please do

Nick

:)

base1268, Jun 9, 2015

2. Edge has never worked on Windows 10 for me

Has anyone have had a bad experience with Edge? In the end MS support told me to re-install Windows. How bad can it be?

HarryJCole, Jun 9, 2015
  3. Edge has never worked on Windows 10 for me

The only reason I'm bothering to try and fix Edge is that when I'm using a rival browser Windows keeps on telling me that Edge is more secure and more efficient so I thought I'd give it a go.

MartinCorney, Jun 9, 2015
  4. davehc Win User

You mean the logo screen, when you first boot into your DVD/USB?
    It takes a long time to rotate. On my slow Laptop, about ten minutes +/-.

davehc, Jun 9, 2015
  5. base1268 Win User
    Dave.... thanks for chiming in... but seriously don't even bother to try and solve why I can't install..... I can tell you that the spinning white dots NEVER appear.... and I left it once for 24 hours.... it simply hangs as soon as the Windows logo appears... and it doesn't matter if i use USB installer or DVD.... or even OTA update.... whenever it gets to the logo screen it simply stops dead.

So... back to my question.... can anyone tell me how I might be able to check if the official version will actually install and run on my awesome laptop which has more than enough spec to comply with Windows 10..............???

I ask the question because the MS software has browsed everyone's windows system and identified that I'm running 8.1 and as such I qualify for the Win 10 free upgrade......... but no point trying to install if it won't work on my laptop.

base1268, Jun 9, 2015
  6. Charlie Win User
    Charlie, Jun 9, 2015
  7. base1268 Win User
    @Charlie

Calling all Samsung owners - Windows 10 Forums

believe me Charlie........ I spent 6 weeks trying EVERYTHING to get TP installed on this machine which as I said runs 8.1 flawlessly and more than meets the requirements for Win 10.... turns out a few of us Samsung owners have an anomaly which no-one can resolve.

I even went out and bought a brand new Samsung 850 EVO SSD...... made no diff of course... but it proved there was nothing on my machine preventing Win 10 TP from installing..... and yes I have the very latest BIOS.

base1268, Jun 9, 2015
  8. base1268 Win User

here's the ultimate test.... return my laptop to it's brand new state (but with upgraded SSD instead of HDD) so it is now effectively just like I'd removed it from the box when new.... (and with latest BIOS installed)

Nothing plugged in to USB ports except the USB installer with Win 10 TP (downloaded from official link and MD5 checked).... battery removed and just running on AC power.

Stops dead at the Windows logo screen.... spinning white dots circle to indicate background install activity NEVER appear even leaving it for 24 hours.

change USB installer to my Win 8.1.... and it installs perfectly !!!! .............. There's a gremlin in this laptop....... *Eek

base1268, Jun 9, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    how did you get the Download to the USB ?

Copied ISO contents to a format Fat32 usb..

Kyhi, Jun 9, 2015
  10. base1268 Win User
    You can't create a MBR USB installer in FAT32....... Rufus won't allow it.... and the Microsoft Usb install creator won't create a FAT32 either.

Even if i try to download the Win 10 TP update and install that way.... it gets to a point where it needs to restart and as soon as the Windows logo appears it stops dead.......... gremlin !!!

base1268, Jun 9, 2015
  11. base1268 Win User
    Yep.... If I open Rufus and select FAT32 then select the ISO to create my installer it automatically reverts to NTFS... tells me FAT32 cannot be used with this type of ISO

base1268, Jun 9, 2015
  12. ramram55 Win User
    I know you spent many frustrating minutes with the install, let us forget a bit about clean install, get the usb drive with 10130 technical preview, then do an upgrade from win 8.1, get the ssd in your PC.
    1. Open the thumb drive, click startup.exc, go from there.

The reason why I advise you to do an update, just get the win 10 going. I know my Toshiba gave me a lot of headaches with clean install. Again my low end 2008 pc still manage to get it going, I am typing away with this so called 'outdated' pc, yet I am happy with it. Good luck.

ramram55, Jun 9, 2015
  13. Kyhi Win User

Insert your usb stick > right click the drive icon > format > Fat32

Double click the downloaded ISO file (to mount it as a drive in windows 8 / 8.1 )

Copy the contents of the mounted ISO drive to the USB Stick

Forget Rufus...

14. base1268 Win User
    Thanks.... I have previously double clicked and mounted the ISO... and then executed the setup file.... but I haven't tried copying the contents of mounted ISO to FAT 32 formatted USB.... nothing to loose so I'll give that a go.

base1268, Jun 9, 2015
  15. Charlie Win User
    Yes you are correct about MBR will not run FAT32. But have you tried GPT? Option 1 shows gpt scheme with a Fat32 format?

Win 10 preview never worked for me... but...... [​IMG]

Charlie, Jun 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 10 preview never worked for me... but...... - Similar Threads - preview never worked

2. do i half to reinstall win 10 because the command tech told me to do never worked.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    do i half to reinstall win 10 because the command tech told me to do never worked.: the reason i am being buggy is i half to run software from my school that requires the newest update [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-half-to-reinstall-win-10-because-the-command/a8f5a10b-03cc-4514-a41b-2073af829af8
  3. Windows spotlight never worked as it should for me.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows spotlight never worked as it should for me.: I have been using win10 since release. The windows spotlight feature was a nice touch. When it worked. In the beginning it was working fine, I had it show nice pics that I liked. It has been a couple of years that the thing defaulted to the mountain lake pic and refused to...
  4. Print Preview in Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Print Preview in Win 10: How do I reinstate Print Preview to my HP Printer in Win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-preview-in-win-10/b764e5e2-dd2b-429b-96eb-6b3720afadae
  5. Windows 10 Backup has never worked for me ....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup has never worked for me ....: … ever since I installed it. I set up everything very carefully and I click 'Backup now'. Todays result saved only half of 1 folder into 'File History' of 22 folders. The 'File History backup log contains 103 entries, all with a 'Level' of 'Warning' or 'Error'. I haven't a...
  6. Win 10 update is never ending

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win 10 update is never ending: I have a computer I believe has viruses on it. I decided to get them off today, but when I plugged it in, and turned it on, it started an update. And it was still going when I left for church 30 minutes later. My plan was to try to clean it but I will take the hdd out if...
  7. win 10 insider preview

win 10 insider preview: Windows Insider Preview 10.0.17713.1002 failed to install - error code 0x8042400d. Can somebody help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/win-10-insider-preview/7d3b2358-9496-4288-af8f-86b4853d0abe
  8. win 10 technical preview

win 10 technical preview: Hi all downloaded latest win 10 (10162) TP yesterday but can only install on any instance of windows im using that time of installation be it 7 or 8 ..... or on a Virtual Box, but not a drive of my choice ?, will this be the same for the final release of win 10 or will u be...
  9. Repair Windows Disc Never Worked For Me

in Windows 10 Support
    Repair Windows Disc Never Worked For Me: Don't know why "Repair Disk" has never worked for me. Since I first used it, at least about twenty or thirty times, but I keep trying whenever I need such on any PC am working on. It ALWAYS reports the PC cannot be repaired. I have both 32 and 64 bits PCs. It happen...
  10. win 10 preview

in Windows 10 Support
    win 10 preview: hi im interested in downloading & installing the new windows 10 tecnical preview but have a few questions. -can i dual boot it with my current os. -how stable is it? will i be able to install software & games? generally use it as a main os. -is there a time limit?...