Windows 10: win 10 preview

Discus and support win 10 preview in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi im interested in downloading & installing the new windows 10 tecnical preview but have a few questions. -can i dual boot it with my current os.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jamos316, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jamos316 Win User

win 10 preview

hi

im interested in downloading & installing the new windows 10 tecnical preview but have a few questions.
    -can i dual boot it with my current os.
    -how stable is it? will i be able to install software & games? generally use it as a main os.
    -is there a time limit?
    -will microsoft continually supply us with updates or will i have to reinstall a new os every time they bring out a new update.

thanks in advanced
    james

:)

jamos316, Oct 8, 2014

2. Windows 10 Family Safety Requires Children To Have A Microsoft Account?

We just upgraded our son's Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. While trying to setup Family Safety, it apparently requires the child to have a Microsoft account.

On Win 7, both the administrator and child accounts were local. Am I missing something or is Microsoft requiring a 5 year old to have an email account (which is unacceptable). We would like ALL accounts to be local and for Family Safety to register with
    the Microsoft account (as it did in Win 7).

The instructions say:

• If they don't have an email address, click The person I want to invite doesn’t have an email address.

• After they've accepted the email invitation, have them sign in to Windows 10 using the same email address you sent the invitation to.
    But how can they accept the invitation if they don't have an email address?

Any advice is appreciated.

----- Update ----

After waiting 2 hours to chat with Microsoft technical support, they confirmed that they REQUIRE child accounts to have an email address.

MS Tech Support: "I checked however on Windows 10, it will be a requirement, it could be for enhanced security feature"

Absolutely ridiculous they expect a child to have an email address and it's required to protect them.

Hope this helps someone and we are downgrading.

Win Preview, Oct 8, 2014
  3. Windows 10 Family Safety Requires Children To Have A Microsoft Account?

We couldn't agree with you more Dutchboi and unfortunately this wasn't an oversight on Microsoft's part, it was deliberate.

After doing a little more research, I found the following on the FTC's website regarding the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, 15 U.S.C. 6501–6505 (COPPA):

"Rule Summary:

COPPA imposes certain requirements on operators of websites or online services directed to children under 13 years of age, and on operators of other websites or online services that have actual knowledge that they are collecting personal information online
    from a child under 13 years of age."

Source

Also, Microsoft does not disclose upfront that they charge $.50 per child for the following reason:

"Microsoft and Family Safety comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) regarding online account creation for children under the age of 13. To verify that an adult is giving a child permission to create a new Microsoft account,
    COPPA requires that a small amount be charged to the adult's credit card. We charge 50 cents for this verification. These charges aren't refundable."

Source

Win Preview, Oct 8, 2014
  4. win 10 preview

ThrashZone, Oct 8, 2014
  5. jamos316 Win User
    is there a time limit and is it stable enough to install software and games

jamos316, Oct 8, 2014
  6. I'm not much of a gamer but I'm sure you shouldn't have any issues ?
    It seems pretty stable to me it is a preview so testing would be your view of performance plus anyone else that does the same during the preview Leave feedback using the feedback app *Wink
    Plus post here to inform others *Smile

Time limit well there's always that chance we're not insiders at Microsoft but no short term or anything but that's has been discovered yet but it is free *Smile
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Oct 8, 2014
  7. jamos316 Win User
    can you help me with this. what do i type in the box? Im looking to give windows 10 a partition size of 200gb
    win 10 preview [​IMG]

jamos316, Oct 8, 2014
  8. win 10 preview

ThrashZone, Oct 8, 2014
  9. jamos316 Win User
    jamos316, Oct 8, 2014
  10. Well you only have 86560 avalible so No I wouldn't enter that nuber you posted *Sad

ThrashZone, Oct 8, 2014
  11. jamos316 Win User
    ok, so if i leave it with 86560MB entered in the box and press SHRINK I will get a blank partition that is around 87GB in size

jamos316, Oct 8, 2014
  12. I believe the closer number would be 85 rounded up,

But keep in mind your Shrinking I suppose your win-7 patition so do not use the maximum it shows,
    I post half of the Avalible space if you want to do some cleaning we can use Disk cleanup and cleanup system files and see what it cleans up ?
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    After opening disk cleanup use the Clean up system files option,
    There you'll also see Out dated windows updates that can be removed,
    More options will remove all but the most recent restore points as well if your machine is working well,

Then your going to need to defragment your hard drive,
    Disk Defragmenter - Open and Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

Then post what the difference is,
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Oct 8, 2014
  13. win 10 preview

ThrashZone, Oct 8, 2014
  14. jamos316 Win User
    i have mounted the iso file to my usb flash drive using rufus, everything completed. i went to bios to instruct the laptop to look at the usb. it showed an error saying something like nothing can be found, insert media and press any key.
    i then mounted the iso file with the windows 7 to usb dvd program and same thing happens.

what am i doing wrong?

jamos316, Oct 8, 2014
  15. Petey7 Win User
    As ThrashZone stated, it would help if we could see exactly what your Disk Management screen showed. Does your computer report having a lot more free space than the 85GB it says you can shrink the partition by? If so, you may need to take some steps to be able to use the total available space. In my case, it said I had 400GB free, but could only shrink the partition by ~100GB. It had to do with the location of the pagefile and system restore files on the hard drive. To fix it, I temporarily disabled both, then shrunk the volume by 350GB, then re-enabled both.

Petey7, Oct 8, 2014
Thema:

win 10 preview

1. win 10 preview - Similar Threads - preview

2. Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon: I recently noticed that, when using Windows' File Explorer, the preview thumbnails for PDF's and word documents on my computer have changed. In the bottom right corner of the preview thumbnail there is a new icon. There is either a black box or a minesweeper icon, depending...
  3. Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon: I recently noticed that, when using Windows' File Explorer, the preview thumbnails for PDF's and word documents on my computer have changed. In the bottom right corner of the preview thumbnail there is a new icon. There is either a black box or a minesweeper icon, depending...
  4. Bizarre Thumbnail Preview Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer will NOT preview PDF files all other files ARE previewed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer will NOT preview PDF files all other files ARE previewed...: i have had this SAME problem happen with my NEW laptop - BUT have managed to SOLVE the problem. sorry i am UNABLE to add this SOLUTION to my previous post on thisI have Windows 11 Home and ABODE ACROBAT'The problem: Windows 11 Explorer WILL preview all other file types EXCEPT...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer will NOT preview PDF files all other files ARE previewed...

Windows 10 File Explorer will NOT preview PDF files all other files ARE previewed...: i have had this SAME problem happen with my NEW laptop - BUT have managed to SOLVE the problem. sorry i am UNABLE to add this SOLUTION to my previous post on thisI have Windows 11 Home and ABODE ACROBAT'The problem: Windows 11 Explorer WILL preview all other file types EXCEPT...
  7. Web Search Preview is not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web Search Preview is not working.: Recently I have been facing an issue where I cannot see the preview of any web search. Whenever I wish to do a quick search, I am unable to do it. This has been happening since the recent update. I have already tried the troubleshoot method but it says that no problems were...
  8. Web Search Preview is not working.

Web Search Preview is not working.: Recently I have been facing an issue where I cannot see the preview of any web search. Whenever I wish to do a quick search, I am unable to do it. This has been happening since the recent update. I have already tried the troubleshoot method but it says that no problems were...
  9. Can't disable Windows 11 Taskbar Peek / Thumbnail Preview. Changing Perfomence...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't disable Windows 11 Taskbar Peek / Thumbnail Preview. Changing Perfomence...: I cannot disable the Taskbar thumbnail previews in Windows 11. It's unclear whether this feature is a thumbnail preview or "peek" as provided for in the many, many, setting windows and it's help pages direct me to, none of which work. I am aware that the Group Policy Editor...
  10. Can't disable Windows 11 Taskbar Peek / Thumbnail Preview. Changing Perfomence...

Can't disable Windows 11 Taskbar Peek / Thumbnail Preview. Changing Perfomence...: I cannot disable the Taskbar thumbnail previews in Windows 11. It's unclear whether this feature is a thumbnail preview or "peek" as provided for in the many, many, setting windows and it's help pages direct me to, none of which work. I am aware that the Group Policy Editor...