Windows 10: Win 10 Privacy Issues

Discus and support Win 10 Privacy Issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently received an email stating that Win 10 Privacy Statement essentially gives permission to MS to log any/all information obtained from a user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davew, Aug 20, 2015.

1. davew Win User

Win 10 Privacy Issues

I recently received an email stating that Win 10 Privacy Statement essentially gives permission to MS to log any/all information obtained from a user and do anything with it including selling the info. This apparently includes email, browser views etc.

I did not believe it until I checked, it is true. Is anyone else concerned?

:)

davew, Aug 20, 2015

2. WIN 10 GLITCH

WIN 10 ISSUE WITH NO BUTTONS WORKING FOR MIN/MAX, CLOSE. ANYONE IN COMMUNITY WITH INFO ON THIS ISSUE WOULD BE APPRECIATED ALSO, WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON MENU BAR, CLICK MINIMIZE, IT GOES TO DESKTOP (WIN 10). I VERY RECENTLY SWITCHED TO MOZILLA (VER 40.O.2).
    THE WIN 10 UPGRADE WAS DONE THE DAY BEFORE FIREFOX SWITCH, MY DEFAULT BROWSER IS FIREFOX,WITH YAHOO AS MY SEARCH ENGINE. THANK YOU. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, OR *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

FRANKTOUSLEY, Aug 20, 2015
  3. After upgrading to Windows 10 I am able to access both my apps and desktop screen/start button where I had netflix, gmail, ebay and facebook installed and used on a regular basis.

I did a clean boot and an sfc scan it took forever to work out msconfig as I could barely do anything on the desktop. And it took forever to load up task manager I had do a ctrl alt del for me to bring it up.

My sfc scan showed this:
    Win 10 Privacy Issues [​IMG]

So I restarted and I am still stuck with an unworkable windows 10 and continue to have an unworkable start menu, nothing on that grey start menu works:

Win 10 Privacy Issues [​IMG]

Help! Can I mention that this is a 4 month old laptop and win 8.1 was working fine until i did the free win 10 upgrade and now its unworkable.

Also why did u change my issue title because the title does not accurately describe the problem that I am having

Elizah Win 10 issues, Aug 20, 2015
  4. Williams Win User

Win 10 Privacy Issues

Who is the sender of the email?

Williams, Aug 20, 2015
  5. davew Win User
    The sender of the email is a Private Banking Newsletter that I have subscribed to for several years. I did not believe it but I did check, not everything but enough to be concerned. I also have Linux but I use QuickBooks and that will not run on Linux. This has caused me to question whether Win 10 is worth it.
    ]Who is the sender of the email?[/QUOTE]

davew, Aug 20, 2015
  6. Sounds like a phishing scare email to me.

GamerwGlasses, Aug 20, 2015
  7. gator2013 Win User
    I think everyone should be concerned, to a point, concerned NOT paranoid ( not implying you are). Privacy concerns with W-10 are all over the news, just google "Windows 10 Privacy" read and learn as much as you can and then decide how much concern you should have.

Everyone is gathering your personal date, your bank, your credit cards, your electric company, the city/county you live in and all governments. Obviously MS has access to a lot more than most others. The problem is the thieves buy bits & pieces of this information legitimately or black-market and can over time assemble quite a profile on just about anyone and the longer you have been around the bigger that picture will be.

gator2013, Aug 20, 2015
  8. Williams Win User

Win 10 Privacy Issues

I worry about my privacy as I do for any other service/product/software. I am not paranoid. Just ignore the message you received and enjoy windows 10.

Williams, Aug 20, 2015
  9. Funny you should mention this..... an hour or so I posted something similar.

summary: After 10 wouldn't work on my laptop, I did a clean reinstall of 8.1, updates etc etc , cleaned out all superfluous files and then ensured that Synchronization in settings was switched off..

Today, I logged on using my Mobile Broadband and noticed that Windows Log Files (within 3 minutes) had accumulated 360 MB of data from my keystrokes and Websites visited.! Had this uploaded to Microsoft then all the remaining Data Allowance would have been used up and leaving me without the ability to use my laptop until I bought further Data allowances.

This never was a feature of Windows 8.1, but it seems as it is either a 'Glitch' left over from having installed 10, and then reverted back to 8.1...or Microsoft are now gathering information on 8.1 users as well as 10.

When I posted this observation earlier....my Windows log files increased by 0.6mb!

If Microsoft are now going to use Keyloggers on 10 and 8.1, it is going to make the cost of Mobile Internet too expensive to use, let alone concerns about privacy.

Try using CCleaner 5 minutes apart (analyze) and see how much data Microsoft is recording....it will shock you!

willington, Aug 20, 2015
  10. There are various tools, which help to easy Windows "customer experience features".
    Since you mention logging, you might want to to disable this one, which collects the most:

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener" /v "Start" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Check again, it tends to enable itself. You have to use other methods to disable sync.

TairikuOkami, Aug 21, 2015
  11. Harpert Win User
    Microsoft introduced Windows 10 for free with just one reason.
    They need to close the gap in data collection with Apple and Google
    They found the perfect way..... give the customer a free "upgrade" and make sure that the standard settings are that as much data as possible is forwarded to Microsoft.

If you monitor the settings carefully.... a lot of information is shared and forwarded to Microsoft.
    You can change nearly all of those settings and don't use things like One Drive or Auto Update.

Each time you visit a web page, with you IPhone, your Linux computer, your Android tablet, information is logged
    Cookies are placed on your system and read to provide you with "the best browsing experience" which means as much as: "you get advertisement that is directed at your age group and relates to searches you have done recently.

This is not avoidable
    We want everything for free.... Like a free "Upgrade" to Windows 10
    But anyone with half a brain knows that there is no FREE RIDE in life.
    Windows 10 for free, comes with a price that in my opinion is a lack of protection of us as individuals.
    But we all want the newest development and preferably not to pay directly for it.......
    So we all will pay in a less direct way.

Only when you change a LOT of settings in Windows 10.
    Your privacy will be compromised. The question might be..... Do I really care????

Harpert, Aug 21, 2015
  12. the easiest way to stop the uploading of your habits is to create a local account user and just use that... this way you wont be logged into Microsoft.. onedrive wont work and Cortana wont work and the store and other apps that require your Microsoft account wont work but at least your privacy wont be a concern then

icpwolverine, Aug 21, 2015
  13. Win 10 Privacy Issues

Just use a firewall and allow Windows processes to connect to Windows Update/Store servers only (IPs).

14. hawkman Win User
    Amending the firewall details won't make a blind bit of difference, the only way to >> Partially<<< stop the transfer of data is to go to the privacy settings you have on your MS login account, or use a local account which then reduce your MS privalidges its called catch 22, your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Roy

hawkman, Aug 21, 2015
  15. And how are data going to be magically transfered when IPs will be blocked, not using MS software?
    Even MS can not defy the basics of internet functions. Luckily for people, MS has separate servers for it..

Thema:

Win 10 Privacy Issues

1. Win 10 Privacy Issues - Similar Threads - Privacy Issues

2. Quick Assist security issue, MS Account Privacy history keeps open access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Assist security issue, MS Account Privacy history keeps open access: I had Microsoft Support use Quick Asist in Windows 11 to remotely connect to my computer about 2 months ago about a problem I reported. Then Microsoft Support remotely connected back to my system without my assistance to research the problem. After the problem got resolved,...
  3. Quick Assist security issue, MS Account Privacy history keeps open access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Assist security issue, MS Account Privacy history keeps open access: I had Microsoft Support use Quick Asist in Windows 11 to remotely connect to my computer about 2 months ago about a problem I reported. Then Microsoft Support remotely connected back to my system without my assistance to research the problem. After the problem got resolved,...
  4. New Media Player safety/privacy issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Media Player safety/privacy issues: The new Media Player has some really disturbing and annoying features that should not exist IMO. Who decided that it was a good idea to retain last played media and display the thumbnails proudly every time you open the app????I only discovered this after a friend sent me a...
  5. New Media Player safety/privacy issues

New Media Player safety/privacy issues: The new Media Player has some really disturbing and annoying features that should not exist IMO. Who decided that it was a good idea to retain last played media and display the thumbnails proudly every time you open the app????I only discovered this after a friend sent me a...
  6. Possible Security/Privacy Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible Security/Privacy Issue: I am new to Windows 11, I noticed that after my laptop is in SLEEP, when I wake it, it goes directly back to my open windows without prompting me for my security key before returning to my session. This security key prompt happens with Windows 10. Is this normal processing ?...
  7. Possible Security/Privacy Issue

Possible Security/Privacy Issue: I am new to Windows 11, I noticed that after my laptop is in SLEEP, when I wake it, it goes directly back to my open windows without prompting me for my security key before returning to my session. This security key prompt happens with Windows 10. Is this normal processing ?...
  8. VPNS, WFH and Privacy issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPNS, WFH and Privacy issues: Hello,So like many people, I work from home during the week. To acccess company data, I need to activate the VPN which routes all of my internet traffic on a work issued laptop through their servers as opposed to my ISP. On the same home network I have my own personal laptop...
  9. VPNS, WFH and Privacy issues

VPNS, WFH and Privacy issues: Hello,So like many people, I work from home during the week. To acccess company data, I need to activate the VPN which routes all of my internet traffic on a work issued laptop through their servers as opposed to my ISP. On the same home network I have my own personal laptop...
  10. VPNS, WFH and Privacy issues

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security