Windows 10: Win 10 Pro 64-bit Free Upgrade License Key

Discus and support Win 10 Pro 64-bit Free Upgrade License Key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm going through the free upgrade process. I've downloaded Win 10 and burned the iso to a DVD. Is it possible to obtain a Win 10 license key after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tjg79, Oct 25, 2015.

1. tjg79 Win User

Win 10 Pro 64-bit Free Upgrade License Key

I'm going through the free upgrade process. I've downloaded Win 10 and burned the iso to a DVD.

Is it possible to obtain a Win 10 license key after activation for subsequent clean installs of Win 10 as if wasn't an upgrade?

Is there a way to just covert your Win 7 license key to a Win 10 license key so that it's not an upgrade license key?

In general, I prefer clean installs and avoid repair installs, upgrade installs, etc...

Regards

:)

tjg79, Oct 25, 2015
  2. KhanQR Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade keys

I have a laptop which came with Win 7 Pro 32 bit OEM installed.

I have since replaced the hard disk with an SSD and installed my own Retail Win 7 Pro 64 bit with a license I purchased. I have upgraded my Win 7 Pro Retail 64 bit to Win 10 Pro 64 bit. Since the Win 7 license was retail I should be allowed to transfer
    that Windows 10 Pro installation to another computer if I so choose. I have used a keyfinder script to determine the Key of the Win 10 64 Pro bit Retail installation, is this the key I will need to use if I wish to transfer this license to another PC? If not
    how do I do this?

Further I put back my original hard disk which had Win 7 Pro 32 bit OEM installed and upgraded to Win 10 Pro 32 bit. As the original license was OEM I realize this license is tied to the machine. However when using the keyfinder script I get the SAME key
    that I got from my Win 10 64 bit Pro installation.

Another question I have is since the Win 7 Pro that shipped with my laptop was 32 bit, I upgraded to 32 bit Win 10 Pro, is it possible to then do a clean reinstall to put Win 10 Pro 64 bit on it? I ask since Win 7 OEM keys are tied to the version 32 or 64
    bit only, unlike retail.

So my concern is the following, If I choose to install Win 10 Pro on another machine, will it not invalidate the activation of my Win 10 Pro 32 bit that is installed on my original hard disk for my laptop?

As I have 2 copies of Windows 7, (1 OEM, 1 Retail), it seems to me that I should have 2 different Windows 10 keys. In the devices section of my Microsoft account webpage 1 device is listed, I would have thought it would list my device twice given that I
    have upgraded 2 copies of Windows on it from different hard drives.

Thanks

KhanQR, Oct 25, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Windows 8pro to 10 upgrade problem

You cannot clean install without first doing the upgrade while an activated windows 8.1
    64 bits is running. That qualifies you for the free upgrade. Be sure to check for activation before starting the upgrade. You cannot upgrade win 8.1 or 10 versions 32 bits to 64. You will have buy the license key for windows 10 pro 64 bits
    unless you do a clean install of the full version of windows 8.1 pro 64 bits, activate it and then upgrade to 10 from within windows 8.1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

mlg63, Oct 25, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Do an upgrade install of W10 first, access the internet, windows will be activated and the machine will be added to Microsoft's database.
    That is you upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate or W8.x Pro to Win 10 Pro.
    After that you can do as many clean installs as you like, no key needed and W10 will activate as before.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 25, 2015
  5. tjg79 Win User
    What if you change out some hardware such as the motherboard or cpu? I would think you would need a software key for an efficient subsequent clean install.

I have two OEM Win 7 Pro 64-bit distribution DVDs with keys. I'd like to convert one to a Win 10 Pro 64-bit key for hassle free clean installs if and when hardware changes.

tjg79, Oct 25, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    Hello! You don't need to upgrade first. There is a method to get your computer qualified for the free upgrade by running a utility contained in Windows 10 installer, as described in this post. It generates a file GenuineTicket.xml which you can save in a USB flash drive. Then you just format your PC and clean-install Windows 10. When asked for a key, click Skip and select Home or Pro (depending on the previous Windows version). You can download the ISO from here. The only requirement is to install the proper version, Windows 10 Home or Pro, depending on your current Windows version, or it won't activate. After having successfully installed Windows 10 in your machine, copy the file to the appropriate folder (see the post above) and restart your computer to activate.

If you change some hardware components, boot your computer to see if Windows load and you can see the desktop. If they do, install drivers for the new hardware. Windows may have been inactivated, click on Settings -> Update and Security -> Activation and activate them again. In case that you changed too many components and Windows won't activate automatically, you can activate them by phone. If you get a BSOD and cannot load Windows, you may have to backup your data and clean-install them again. Then try to activate, if not do it by phone (see on screen instructions). No key needed for installing Windows 10, click skip when asked for it.

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  7. tjg79 Win User
    Thanks for the reply spapakons.

I've found a few utilities that display product keys. Do you know if that you install the Win 10 as you've indicated and use a license key utility on the Win 10 install, will it display a Win 10 license key that can be used for subsequent clean installs without copying the upgrade file to the appropriate folder?

Regards

tjg79, Oct 25, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

One utility to see the Windows key (and any other key of your installed applications) is Aida64. Go to Operating System section for Windows, go to Software section for other keys. I don't remember if the unregistered version hides part of the key, otherwise you must register the program. This tool can also identify hardware before you install any drivers, so it is useful for finding which drivers to download. It can also monitor your temperatures and fan speeds among other things.

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  9. You can't convert keys.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 25, 2015
  10. JohnC Win User
    The windows 10 keys are generic keys unless you buy a Box from a store. All upgrades generate the same key. See the sticky thread on this in the general discussion forum it will explain it all.

JohnC, Oct 25, 2015
  11. spapakons Win User
    Didn't know that detail... Besides, as we already said, you don't need a key, just click Skip during Setup.

spapakons, Oct 25, 2015
  12. Joergi Win User
    For the exchange of some hardware components:

Windows will still activate after you exchanged components. But there is one important exception: If you currently have an OEM licence, which you are upgrading to Windows 10, and if you then exchange the motherboard, Windows 10 will no longer activate. OEM licences are bound to the motherboard. Retail licences however can be used on another PC, and also on the original one after the motherboard has been changed.

That being said, there have been reports of people, who changed the motherboard in order to repair a PC, then phoned Microsoft, explained the situation and Microsoft then did activate their OEM licence on that system. Anyway, if Microsoft does that, it is purely good will on their site - they don't have to and if you're unlucky maybe they don't do that for you.

Joergi, Oct 25, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

I'll save you the trouble of running Showkey Plus from this forum and tell you what your product key is:
    Windows 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Everybody gets the same product key (depending on version) from an upgrade. If you switch motherboards, you will have two options:

1. Reinstall Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and upgrade again to Windows 10

or

2. Call Microsoft and beg them to activate your Windows 10 for you.

NavyLCDR, Oct 25, 2015
  14. tjg79 Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

Can the Win 10 OS detect a motherboard change if you swap out the same model motherboard? Does the Win 10 OS identify the motherboard serial number? I've got a few spare same model motherboards, and I wondering if I'll have an issue if I swap one out or upgrade the cpu.

Regards

tjg79, Oct 25, 2015
  15. The difference is a repair install versus an upgrade install of an OEM mobo. A repair install is done under the warranty conditions of the manufacturer (manufacturer's recommended replacement part). An upgrade install is usually done with a retail motherboard.

Cbarnhorst, Oct 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro 64-bit Free Upgrade License Key - Similar Threads - Pro bit Free

2. Win 10 pro. I wish to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 pro. I wish to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit: My HP Elitebook 8440p. I wish to upgrade from 32 bit win 10 pro to the 64 bit version to utilise extra memory just fitted.This OS was originally upgraded via Win 8.1.Hardware is suitable and I am signed on as Admin. I have downloaded the media creation tool from Microsoft Win...
  3. upgrade from Windows 7 pro 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from Windows 7 pro 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit: Need to upgrade my laptop windows from Windows 7 pro 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-windows-7-pro-64-bit-to-windows-10-64/1d42cd03-b607-4de5-9651-516a3cb14b18
  4. Upgrading win 10 Home 64 bits to Win 10 64 bits Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading win 10 Home 64 bits to Win 10 64 bits Pro: I have a laptop with win10 Home 64 bits installed on it. I need t upgrade it to Win 10 Pro 64 bits. I have a digital Licence on my PC Pro 64 bits. I have already tried to upgrade my laptop with clean install but Microsoft does not give me any choice except buying the...
  5. Upgrade from Win 10 32 bit to 64 bit?

Upgrade from Win 10 32 bit to 64 bit?: Had to use Win 10 32 bit for a couple of apps that did not "like" 64 bit environment. Have found replacement software, so would like to go to 64 bit. How do I do it?...
  6. Upgrade from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro 64/bit?

Upgrade from Win 10 home to Win 10 Pro 64/bit?: Fully Licensed & Activated Member here... 1) Laptop: Win 10 Home 64/bit want to Upgrade to Win 10 Pro 64/bit. Is there a free upgrade for students or key holders of Win7Pro or Win10 Home to Win10 Pro? 2) Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64/bit & Win 10 Pro 64/bit. Retaining Win 7...
  7. Win 10 Pro 64-bit

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit: Since, in my 2 laborious (!) years of experience with Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) on the nicely-'appointed' desktop I built, it does not work as advertised, can I return it to MS and replace it Windows 7 Pro (64-bit which does work as advertised)? I thought I was being smart to...
  8. UAC Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    UAC Win 10 Pro 64 bit.: Hi all, Good to be here. Somehow I have managed to mess up my only UAC (the hidden one in Command Prompt. It does show up on the login page but Account name is "NewUsername", Username is "Brian-HP/NewUsername" and it asks for a password. Which I cant find or remember as it...
  9. Upgrade 8.1 to 10 Pro 64-bit

Upgrade 8.1 to 10 Pro 64-bit: I have a new Dell laptop. It now shows the OS is 8.1 but last week it showed 8.1 Pro 64-bit and even displayed the Build number (I swear). In my attempt to upgrade to 10 Pro perhaps it reverted to 8.1 I have to assume the Home edition although I don't know how that could have...
  10. hope to upgrade to Win 10 Home 64 bit

hope to upgrade to Win 10 Home 64 bit: Here is my situation, hopefully someone can advise: I upgraded Win 7 32 bit to Win 10 Home 32 bit with no problems, been running it for a while. Now I want to do a clean install. However, my hardware supports 64 bit, so I hope to upgrade to Win 10 Home 64 bit, and from...