Windows 10: Win 10 Pro 64bit constantly downloading something at 64Mbs

Discus and support Win 10 Pro 64bit constantly downloading something at 64Mbs in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Help!!!! Win 10 is constantly downloading "something" at 64Mbs and using up all my allotted bandwidth. This has been happening every day for hours at a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rzn6jw, May 18, 2017.

1. rzn6jw Win User

Win 10 Pro 64bit constantly downloading something at 64Mbs

Help!!!! Win 10 is constantly downloading "something" at 64Mbs and using up all my allotted bandwidth. This has been happening every day for hours at a time.

In Task Manager, it looks like 'svchost' is accepting the download but I don't know what application it's going to (see attached pic).

I thought it might be Windows Update but I can't look at the log. I've tried Powershell with the Get-WindowsUpdate.log cmdlet but that doesn't produce anything, except another PS prompt. I tried 'For more information on the Get-WindowsUpdate.log cmdlet, please go here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../mt238376.aspx' but I get 'We're sorry, the page you requested cannot be found'.

How can I determine what is accepting the download, and if it's Update, why would it be running every day for hours (200G yesterday alone). The culprit is:

5/19/2017 11:31:47 AM Open 10.0.0.6 23.194.29.188 a23-194-29-188.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com 62847 443 1580 svchost.exe svchost.exe

:)

rzn6jw, May 18, 2017
  2. RickAZYE Win User

How to get a copy of the correct edition of Windows 10

Original Title: win 10 pro 64bit

I did a free upgrade from win 7 pro 64bit to win 10 pro 64bit quite a while ago. I want to do a clean install so I am trying to download a copy of win 10 pro 64bit to a dvd using the media creation tool, but win 10 pro is not on the list, only win
    10, win 10 home, and win 10 N. It shows on my systems page that I am running win 10 pro 64bit. How can I get a copy of the correct edition?

RickAZYE, May 18, 2017
  3. Ivanr53 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro Photo App Errors

I successfully upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64bit but the Photo opens and then closes. Tried all known checks to resolve, no answers. The Store download renders error 0x803F7003 as well. Path tried but states it is for Win 8.1 only.

Ivanr53, May 18, 2017
  4. clam1952 Win User

Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and half the Planet use akamaitechnologies for downloading it's used as a content distributions system by major companies and websites to provide fast web response. It is quite normal to see a lot of traffic directed through Akamai, shouldn't be all the time though.
    If you use something like Current Ports from NirSoft - freeware utilities: password recovery, system utilities, desktop utilities it will tell you if an application is responsible, it's quite normal to see it when browsing the web.

clam1952, May 18, 2017
  5. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Clam1952 may have you on the right track but just make sure MS is not using you to distribute updates too:

Win 10 Pro 64bit constantly downloading something at 64Mbs [​IMG]

6. rzn6jw Win User
    Yeah, it's been going for about 5 hours now and I noticed the Windows Update log is updating, so that might be what's happening. However, I have no way of looking at the log to see what's happening. Is there any editor out there that I can use to look at the file?

rzn6jw, May 18, 2017
  7. rzn6jw Win User
    WOT, I've got that part of Update turned off like in the picture. Is there a way to turn off updates completely to see if the transmit stops?

rzn6jw, May 18, 2017
  8. Win 10 Pro 64bit constantly downloading something at 64Mbs

TairikuOkami, May 18, 2017
  9. rzn6jw Win User
    I tried CU but had a lot of issues with it, like missing text for everything including icons and items in folders, etc. Not quite ready to go CUs route again any time soon. AE was running quite smooth until recent updates, though, so I don't know if those updates were for getting Windows ready for CU or not but something's fishy now with the constant SVCHOST downloads.

rzn6jw, May 18, 2017
  10. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Maybe just disable Windows Update for a test? That would be my best guess. Maybe someone else has a better idea?:

11. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Do you happen to have a torrent client installed? If so, uninstall it and see if that gets rid of the activity.

12. rzn6jw Win User
    Thanks, WOT, I'll give it a try. Amazingly, the download has stopped for now, after 5 hours. Still, running that speed every day for a week or more, that's a heck of a lot of data for a Windows update (games average 50-60G, so it's a lot of games).

Still would like some kind of editor to look at the Update logs though.

rzn6jw, May 18, 2017
  13. clam1952 Win User

You open them in event Viewer - Right Click event Viewer, Saved Logs then browse to the etl file.

clam1952, May 18, 2017
  14. WOT
    WOT Win User
    You can also take a peek at the specific executable being used to access your disk (during the time it is happening) by going to:

task manager> performance tab> open resource monitor (bottom)> disk tab and look at "disk activity."

Sort the disk activity by highest read and write activity at the top of each column.

This should help you nail the culprit down a bit further.

Good luck,

15. rzn6jw Win User
    clam1952: Tried event viewer and only got a file full of:

Unknown( 55): GUID=d4f32785-ef13-3307-f994-d5b9a949eb98 (No Format Information found)

which makes no sense. It's like the transmit starts and fails continually. Something's not right here.

WOT, I'll check the disk activity the next time the transmit happens.

Thanks.

rzn6jw, May 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro 64bit constantly downloading something at 64Mbs - Similar Threads - Pro 64bit constantly

2. Upgrade from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Home: 1.I have Win 7 Pro 64bit installed on this computer. I have a genuine product code.2.I wish to upgrade to Win 10 , preferrably without having to reload programs, email provider or Firefox. Is this still a free service? How do I do this?3.I wish to connect the upgraded...
  3. Cannot upgrade from win 10 pro 32bit to 64bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot upgrade from win 10 pro 32bit to 64bit: Hello,I recently "upgraded" my PC from Core 2 duo E6300 to Dual core E6700. and also got new ram sticks total up to 8gb ddr2. I am running win 10pro 32bit currently but due to the limitation of the operating system only 3.2gb of RAM is usable and the processor is stuck at...
  4. Win 10 Pro 1909 64bit setup error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Pro 1909 64bit setup error: downloaded win 10 pro 1909, ran setup.exe, got error message autorun.dll could not be loaded or is corrupt setup cannot continue. error code [0x7E]. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your help in advance....
  5. How can I upgrade my Win 10 64bit home ed to Win 10 64bit pro?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I upgrade my Win 10 64bit home ed to Win 10 64bit pro?: I want to upgrade my Win 10 64bit home ed to Win 10 64bit pro, can it be done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-upgrade-my-win-10-64bit-home-ed-to-win/b70e49ce-e3da-4f0a-9725-9af0db3ac449"
  6. I am having trouble with Win 10, 64bit Pro.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am having trouble with Win 10, 64bit Pro.: I am having trouble with Win 10, 64bit Pro. It loads fine, but there is no video at the end of loading the opening screen, just black raster. I have reloaded the programs from DVD and USB media with the same result. However, when I start it in 'safe mode' all appears well,...
  7. DNS client constantly downloading something

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS client constantly downloading something: Hi, On my Windows 10, svchost.exe (NetworkService -p) is constantly downloading something at 1,7 Mbit/s since a few days, maybe weeks. I can't manage to get what is going on. Any idea ? Thanks...
  8. Geninstallere Win 10 Pro 64bit

Geninstallere Win 10 Pro 64bit: Jeg fik opdateret min win7pro og optog backop med acronic. Min computer blev muligvis infecteret med virus så jeg slettede alt og omformaterede alle 3 harddiske på computeren Indsatte min recovery disk men halvvejs igennem installeringen af backkopen stoppede den og sagde...
  9. Compatibility Of my hardware for Win 10 Pro 64bit upgrade

Compatibility Of my hardware for Win 10 Pro 64bit upgrade: Ok everyone I'm an 74yo bloke who is very cautious in what I do. I have been running Win 7 Pro 64 bit Sp1 since about Nov 2009. The time has come for me to venture into the world of Win 10m Pro 64bit but before I do I want it goes as hassle free as possible. Before I venture...
  10. How to turn on firewall Win 10 Pro 64bit

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to turn on firewall Win 10 Pro 64bit: Been using Bitdefender Firewall for years...but I need to disable Bitdefender and re-enable Windows firewall. Bitdefender FW disabled but can't get Windows FW to enable Can not find suggestion that works to turn Windows 10 Pro firewall back on ? Thanks...TiminAz 68143

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bandwidth svchost.exe (networkservice p)