Windows 10: Win 10 Pro - Cannot Update current version 14393

Discus and support Win 10 Pro - Cannot Update current version 14393 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have literally spent months at this and as a last resort am looking for some assistance to upgrade my 64-bit Win 10 system stuck at version 14393. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stevedude, Jul 14, 2017.

1. stevedude Win User

Win 10 Pro - Cannot Update current version 14393

I have literally spent months at this and as a last resort am looking for some assistance to upgrade my 64-bit Win 10 system stuck at version 14393. My update message is to update to Ver 1607 (KB4033637)

Computer/Software Specs:
    • AMD Phenom II - 6 Processors
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 1 TB HD at 47% utilization
    • Dual boot - Win 10 + Manjaro Linux
    • NVidia GTS 450 Graphics
    • Roccat Keyboard w/ Logitech Mouse
    • Windows Firewall
    • BitDefender A/V

Originally I updated my Windows 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro via upgrade. Never had update issues until the last few months. No hardware changes have taken place at all. After updating I always receive the "Couldn't complete the updates" after the status reaches 100% completion. I've read so many threads my head is going to explode.

This is what I can remember about what I've done so far as instructed in several threads here and elsewhere, (some things I probably forgot) - Not in Chronological order:

• Retried several times to Update/Install the updates
    • Disabled Bitdefender A/V and re-ran updates
    • One thread mentioned problems with NVidia Graphics drivers. Mine is up to date, however, I disabled them to run the updates.
    • Ran WU Troubleshooter
    • Ran DISM Tool
    • Tried Windows Creator Update link button via Microsoft's site. PC was found compatible, update was D/L'd, received 0x800703ed error.
    • Researched 0x800703ed error which pointed to incompatible 3rd party driver. Installed ALL and I mean all, drivers on my system. Even D/L'd 4 different driver update programs to be sure.
    • 4 Drivers needed to be updated according to the driver update programs: PCI Controller, Realtek Sound, Logitech Mouse, and NVdia controller - All were updated to latest versions.
    • Did netstop for BITS, WUAUSERV, APPIDSVC, CRYPTSVC.
    • Re-registered BITS files, and WindowsUpdates files
    • Reset Winsock
    • Ran WUAUCLT.exe as Admin
    • Used Microsoft's "Fix It" utility
    • Tried Microsoft's Virtual Agent
    • Deleted C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download files and retried updates
    • Deleted qmgr*.dat files
    • Renamed the Software Distribution folders
    • Dowloaded the KB4033637 and tried to install manually (for 64-bit)
    • Downloaded another KB mentioned in a thread KB4025339 to install manually (for 64-bit)
    • Internet search for KB4025339 shows many ppl experiencing inability to upgrade

I am at wits end, I really don't want to reset or format/reinstall Win 10 just to get this working - Can anyone help?

Thank you

:)

stevedude, Jul 14, 2017

2. win 10 pro update 14393 fails to load past 99%

win 10 pro update 14393 fails to load past 99% tried to load twice gets to 99% and sticks cannot get last 1%

RaymondJohnston, Jul 14, 2017
  3. Win 10: cannot update from build 10586 to latest version 14393?

Win 10: cannot update from build 10586 public release to latest version 14393? Any ideas? Thanks!

Dr. JuliusTwigg, Jul 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    What is your current build number?
    Windows key + R, winver

Please
    1. post a screenshot of your partitions. Preferably use e.g. Minitool Partition Wizard as this shows more detail.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon
    2. Please download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) to check your disk and post a screenshot of its GUI
    3. From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    4. Inspect your Windows update log
    Read Windows Update Logs in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials
    and report any useful info.

KB4033637 doesn't seem familiar...? I have KB4025339 installed.

- we don't recommend the use of these.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    - Scroll down to 'Tip' and the info and links on possible reasons for failure.

Note: Yours is the Anniversary build, like mine (see my specs).
    It is possible you will be offered the Creator's build soon.
    To prepare, if you don't already use disk imaging routinely, as we strongly and repeatedly advise, please do so now before it's too late.
    E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for image sets.

Have you tried manually updating (downloading the update), rather than using Windows update?

dalchina, Jul 14, 2017
  5. stevedude Win User
    Enclosed are the results that were requested:

Partitions - Don't like "minitool" because it lists my Linux partition as NTFS, so I am also including a screenshot of the Disk Partitions from within Linux.

Win 10 Pro - Cannot Update current version 14393 [​IMG]

Sentinel Screenshot:

CheckDisk results are enclosed as a text file "EventLog" and the Sentinel program report is also included as "Disk Report": Sentinel GUI shows bad sectors, but I didn't see that on the chkdsk report.

I have stated my current Win 10 version and I can confirm the system wants to upgrade KB4033637, which I have tried to install manually along with some other KB files previously stated. For clarity, I am including screenshots of my System Info and Upgrade info:

I appreciate your time investment to assist me - What next?

stevedude, Jul 16, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, based on that, you need to replace your disk.

Hard disk sentinel looks at your whole disk, whilst chkdsk only checks the integrity of your used area on the partition on which you run it. These are quite different checks. The problem is the number of failing sectors. Manufacturers make disks with spare sectors to allow for manufacturing defects and failure in service. Not how errors have been made in swapping used sectors. That implies data corruption- which could be anywhere.

You're welcome to do a surface check, or use another prog to view SMART params.

Hope you've been using disk imaging routinely as we very strongly and repeatedly advocate (e.g. Macrium reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for image sets. If so, your transition to a new disk will be relatively easy and quick.

Note: had you been using Macrium, it's possible it might have picked up disk problems in the action of creating images. Running a program such as HD Sentinel periodically or in the background can help you avert disaster.

It looks like your PC uses legacy boot rather than UEFI. (MBR +NTFS rather than GPT for example)

(I like Minitool - for Windows- as it is very clear on what's what- here's my UEFI GPT configuration:

It looks like your PC hasn't updated for a while (953).

dalchina, Jul 16, 2017
  7. stevedude Win User
    I appreciate your assistance.

What I ended up doing was Reset my PC using the "Remove Everything" option. Screenshot enclosed, I assume I am at the latest version.

What really bugs me though is why could I reset my PC and get an updated version of Windows 10 bad sectors and all, and yet, I could not upgrade? That does not make sense to me! It's not like my HD didn't have extra space on it.

It's going to take me weeks to install/restore my programs and files, but I did it this way so I could have a system that upgrades properly. I did have Macrium Reflect that I will now reinstall and I also use another free program Aomei Backupper along with my Windows 10 file backup. In the meantime, I'll look at replacing my HD.

Thanks again.

stevedude, Jul 16, 2017
  8. cbwilsha Win User

Steve, you are not quite there yet. You need to run Windows Update which will bring your winver to 15063.483.

C.B.

cbwilsha, Jul 16, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    There are numerous reasons why upgrades can fail: from your AV to connected peripherals to 3rd party programs, partition issues and much more.

How can you find out? Here's a bit more (now just for interest).

When upgrading:
    - disable your AV, disconnect any unnecessary peripherals; also see 'Here's How' in the tutorial below.

What went wrong? See:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

- & see the yellow Tips section

Then see
    How to Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows - Microsoft Community

If you decide to carry on with your dodgy disk, it is quite likely that at some point when bad sectors impinge on used areas, and an attempt to create a disk image will fail (probably with a CRC error), so you'll be wise to upgrade. Maybe consider getting a SSD (e.g. 13s to login screen and much faster imaging esp. over USB3).

And of course you may get other erratic performance.

- you can use a disk image together with a Laplink program to automatically 'reinstall' or transfer programs to a new OS build or a new PC.

That's how I've moved from one PC or one build to another 3 or 4 times now. This much reduces the time. It might take an hour or two for the process - in my case for hundreds of programs with perhaps >96% success. Settings can also be transferred.

dalchina, Jul 16, 2017
  10. stevedude Win User
    Updated to the latest version....and with no issues ;-)

stevedude, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro - Cannot Update current version 14393 - Similar Threads - Pro Cannot Update

2. Win 11 Pro for Workstations Current Version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 Pro for Workstations Current Version: Hello,My version of Win 11 Pro for Workstations is version 21H2 build 22000.1761. I'm just wondering if there is a 22H2 version of Windows 11 Pro for Workstations as my laptop has Win 11 Pro v22H2 installed on it.TIA.Eric...
  3. Win 11 Pro for Workstations Current Version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 Pro for Workstations Current Version: Hello,My version of Win 11 Pro for Workstations is version 21H2 build 22000.1761. I'm just wondering if there is a 22H2 version of Windows 11 Pro for Workstations as my laptop has Win 11 Pro v22H2 installed on it.TIA.Eric...
  4. Windows 10 Pro - current version download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro - current version download: I have a Dell XPS 2 in 1 laptop that is 16 months old. The camera stopped working and after 4 ½ hours on the phone to Dell, the solution was a Windows 10 download and re - install. I had previously bought Windows 10 Pro on a USB, with a product key, just after I bought the...
  5. Windows 10 Pro - current version download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro - current version download: I have a Dell XPS 2 in 1 laptop that is 16 months old. The camera stopped working and after 4 ½ hours on the phone to Dell, the solution was a Windows 10 download and re - install. I had previously bought Windows 10 Pro on a USB, with a product key, just after I bought the...
  6. Win 10 Pro update version 1909

Win 10 Pro update version 1909: Win 10 update version 1909 fails to install error code 0x80240034. Trouble shooter recommends command prompt sequence which doesn't run command not valid. All advice appreciated!...
  7. can't update past version 14393

can't update past version 14393: I'm stuck in the famous 14393 loop for updating win 10, and cannot find a way to get out of it. it is further saying it cannot update system reserve partition. Everything MS has printed on the subject does not seem to work. The loop originates with windows 10 update...
  8. Win 10 version 1511 cannot update

Win 10 version 1511 cannot update: I am using a Thinkpad X200s with below specs as my standby working PC, which I have only used occasionally. the automatic upgrading issue has bothered me for quite a long period. Every time the process pop out but never succeeded: either it hang at the pre-boot black screen...
  9. Stuck on build 14393: cannot update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Stuck on build 14393: cannot update: I am on build 14393 and I am trying to update to 14905 or 14915, but when computer restarts after trying to update I get a message that windows is rolling back to previous version (my version 14393), without making the update. I tried through windows update, i tried also...
  10. Version of Win 10 pro

Version of Win 10 pro: I installed windows 10 pro from a 8.1 upgrade using the media download. Not thru update. I never registered to update My question is, because I sometimes still get message from MS that my update is coming soon. Do I have a recent version of Win 10 or am I on some kind of pre...