Windows 10: Win 10 Pro disable the Windows Update service no longer viable??

Discus and support Win 10 Pro disable the Windows Update service no longer viable?? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Came across this today. https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/03/al...ao01qx9%2e26c7 "Microsoft removed updating controls when it released the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by phaedruspress, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Win 10 Pro disable the Windows Update service no longer viable??

Came across this today.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/03/al...ao01qx9%2e26c7

"Microsoft removed updating controls when it released the Windows 10 operating systems so that it has become less trivial to set the updating process to manual or disable updates altogether. This is true especially when it comes to Windows 10 Home.One of the better solutions to regain controls over updates was to disable the Windows Update service, and enable it only when you wanted the system to find and install updates."
    Microsoft changed that workaround in the Fall Creators Update version of Windows 10 however closing that loophole effectively.

My new computer with win 10 (Pro) (first time with win 10) arrives this week. Article suggests that with the Fall update you can no longer go into services and disable win update and even if you could win 10 can turn it back on. Can anyone shed any light on this. I would like to turn on win update only when I want to preferably after updates have been released for a while and there are no apparent problems. Work arounds and 12/2017 links or articles appreciated.

:)

phaedruspress, Dec 4, 2017

2. Turn off auto-updates in Windows 10

I dont know about Win 10 Pro but in my Win 10 Home I stopped and disable "Windows Update" service in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Administrative Tools > Service

Andry Saher, Dec 4, 2017
  3. Adi4685 Win User
    Turn off auto-updates in Windows 10

I dont know about Win 10 Pro but in my Win 10 Home I stopped and disable "Windows Update" service in Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Administrative Tools > Service

This was very help ful but just remember to select the "Take no action " under the Recovery Tab in Properties.

Adi4685, Dec 4, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Win 10 Pro disable the Windows Update service no longer viable??

You can defer updates easy enough.

If you go to settings > "Updates and Security" then scroll down and click on Advanced you have several options.

Win 10 Pro disable the Windows Update service no longer viable?? [​IMG]

sml156, Dec 5, 2017
  5. psychotcb Win User
    Anyone have thoughts as to why the entire "Choose when updates are installed" section would be missing after a fresh install of Win 10 Pro - currently on Build 16299.192?

Was thinking about trying to change the settings in GPEdit to see if it brings it back.

psychotcb, Jan 24, 2018
  6. >Anyone have thoughts as to why the entire "Choose when updates are installed" section would be missing after a fresh install of Win 10 Pro - currently on Build 16299.192?

No idea but that's disconcerting. I followed the advice from above and have delayed the Fall Creator's update for a year or until I am ready to install it and was able to delay the Dec. roll up until about a week ago but then it did it anyway though presumably a month later the kinks were worked out but January 3, 2018—KB4056892 may have partially affected Windows 10 Version 1709 while I am still on 1703. We'll see what happens when and if the Jan rollup gets auto installed but I certainly hope the "Choose when updates are installed" section does not change for me as it has unfortunately for me.

phaedruspress, Jan 24, 2018
  7. Callender Win User
    Can't really comment on newer builds. I'm just using Windows 10 Home where "apparently" it's not possible to manually download updates.

However here are a few screenshots from my machine.

It's possible that disabling "Refresh Settings" task prevents the settings being auto changed but that is just a guess.

Callender, Jan 27, 2018
  8. pyramid10 Win User

My PC is on Home x64 1709 xxx.125. Windows Update service is disabled. This service has always been disabled-able on this machine from the very beginning, despite the contrarian information disseminated.

pyramid10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro disable the Windows Update service no longer viable?? - Similar Threads - Pro disable Update

2. Disable Windows Update Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows Update Service: Hi,We have Microsoft Team Room TAP and having Windows 11 22H2.I wanted to disable Windows Update as it creates problem sometimes windows stuck on completing windows update process therefore i wanted to permantely disable Windows Update service. To do this Disabled Windows...
  3. Disable Windows Update Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows Update Service: Hi,We have Microsoft Team Room TAP and having Windows 11 22H2.I wanted to disable Windows Update as it creates problem sometimes windows stuck on completing windows update process therefore i wanted to permantely disable Windows Update service. To do this Disabled Windows...
  4. Disabling Windows Update Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling Windows Update Service: Long story short: Windows 11 downloaded itself on my computer. For 2 months I was able to keep pausing it as I do not want to install Windows 11 yet. Last time I went to pause it you need to check for updates first before you can pause again, it started the process of...
  5. Windows Update services is disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update services is disabled: In windows update tab it is "One of the update services is not running properly, but you can try to run a troubleshooter to fix the problem. Go to Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then select Windows Update."...
  6. Is the Black Viper’s Windows 10 Service Configurations still viable?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is the Black Viper’s Windows 10 Service Configurations still viable?: I know it hasn’t been updates since 2018, but is most of the information still relevant? I found a script that runs it automatically (link), but I don’t want to do it if it’s incompatible with the current Windows update submitted by /u/BitofaCrit [link] [comments]...
  7. Need to Disable Win 10 Pro From Forcefully Updating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Need to Disable Win 10 Pro From Forcefully Updating: So I have been using an earlier build of windows 10 Pro for a while now without incident for my laptop up until just recently when my system crashed with a blue screen error about Host configure Error or something that basically disabled my ability to load up my desktop to...
  8. Need to Disable Win 10 Pro From Forcefully Updating

in Windows 10 Support
    Need to Disable Win 10 Pro From Forcefully Updating: So I have been using an earlier build of windows 10 Pro for a while now without incident for my laptop up until just recently when my system crashed with a blue screen error about Host configure Error or something that basically disabled my ability to load up my desktop to...
  9. Disable Windows 10 Pro Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disable Windows 10 Pro Updates: I'm running into an issue where the latest update of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit is causing an issue with my MS Word 2016 Clipboard. MS Windows team refuses to address the issue even after significant amounts of time spent trying to explain it to them. I keep getting transferred...
  10. Can we disable Win Auto Update on win 10 Pro ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can we disable Win Auto Update on win 10 Pro ?: As the title said, can we disable win auto update on win 10 pro ? i read somewhere on internet the difference between pro and enterprise is 10 pro can not disable auto update, only can defer it for 8 months (?) 90461