Windows 10: Win 10 Pro domain machines Start menu tiles vanish/inconstsnecies.

Discus and support Win 10 Pro domain machines Start menu tiles vanish/inconstsnecies. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been struggling with the windows 10 Start menu since starting to use windows 10 in a professional environment 18 months ago. I've gradually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AchtungNate, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Win 10 Pro domain machines Start menu tiles vanish/inconstsnecies.

I've been struggling with the windows 10 Start menu since starting to use windows 10 in a professional environment 18 months ago.

I've gradually wrestled it into *almost* doing my bidding, but never 100%.

My current issue is that machines on my domain all pick up different aspects of the LayoutModifcation.xml. Menus have spaces where there should be tiles, one machine will have one start menu and the next machine will have a different looking menu yet they pull from EXACTLY the same file.

Entries I put into the LayoutModification.xml match up with links and shortcuts in a network location available to all, these links and shortcuts show up in "All Apps".

I moved a machine to the root of the Directory so that minimal GPOs applied to it, and attempted to add tiles manually to the start menu using a Network Admin account. The tile appeared, for all of five seconds then vanished next time I opened the start menu. However when I click to try and add the same link only the option to "Unpin from start" is available, then I notice an invisible group on the start menu with nothing in it.

Out of 160 boxes no two machines maintain the same content on their start menus.

Can anybody shed any light on this, I've been coming back to this over and over and getting absolutely nowhere for over a year...

Thanks.

:)

AchtungNate, Jul 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 Critical Error

Problems with Win 10 on a domain, from time to time newly imaged machines (Lenovo 470s and Yoga 260) will become unresponsive, clicking live tiles and Cortana Search box, do nothing then a message with appear Windows Encountered a Critical Error and needs
    to shut down, I have nailed this down to a profile issues on the laptops (admin) account and run a PowerShell script to resolve, however, I have noticed that all of the live tiles now vanish once the fix has been deployed.

I would like to inquire if there is a fix to restore the live tiles on these users machines? so the machine can be restored to 100%

Many Thanks for you assistance

Mark

GHOST_IT-LTD, Jul 17, 2017
  3. Custom Start Menu

Hi,

We have windows 10 pro and we have a custom start menu we upgraded from 1703 deployed by group policy. The custom start menu will display when windows starts when connected to our domain but when off domain the custom start menu will disappear and random
    tiles will be shown instead of the start menu

anyone seen this ?

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart Dyer AU, Jul 17, 2017
Thema:

Win 10 Pro domain machines Start menu tiles vanish/inconstsnecies.

1. Win 10 Pro domain machines Start menu tiles vanish/inconstsnecies. - Similar Threads - Pro domain machines

2. Win 10: where are pinned tiles in start menu located?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10: where are pinned tiles in start menu located?: With Win10 pro 21H2 I found that a pinned tile in start menu is broken no icon, though it works as a link. It is the Edge tile to be precise, and the broken icon occurred after a restore system. The rest is ok. Work done:The same broken icon of Edge was also in the taskbar....
  3. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  4. Start Menu Tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Tiles: Hi, I really like the original factory start menu view with all of the tiles. I did someting and now when I click start menu I only get cortona to come up. Is there a fix for this? I know it is likely something easy.... Help!...
  5. START MENUE TILES

START MENUE TILES: USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT WHY THE START TILES ARE NOT THE SAME ON EACH COMPUTER USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menue-tiles/22d9f2c5-64c5-4b9a-9549-f88a285c37f7
  6. Icon/tile size on start menu in Win 10

Icon/tile size on start menu in Win 10: Win 10 gives two 'Resize' options for icons/tiles on the start menu when you add something via 'Pin to Start'. These sizes are 'Small' and 'Medium'. Does anyone know if there is a very small option at all? 62749
  7. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  8. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  9. Randomly Windows 10 start menu tiles vanish and you cant right click?

in Windows 10 Support
    Randomly Windows 10 start menu tiles vanish and you cant right click?: Every since i ran the creators update on my windows 10 image.. there is a random issue where the tiles in the start menu are blank.. and any attempts to right click fail as well.. seems if you restart.. it clears it (or possibly restart the explorer.exe).. Also found...
  10. Start Menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu tiles: I have mistakenly dragged my mail tile/ icon from the Start Menu in W.10 to the desktop. How can I return it to the start menu ? ( drag and drop does not work ) 69326