Windows 10: Win 10 Pro keeps de-activating on Surface Pro 3

Discus and support Win 10 Pro keeps de-activating on Surface Pro 3 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My SP3 was originally on Win 8.1. I used Microsoft's media creation tool to create a USB installer for Win 10, then upgraded to Win 10 from usb. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rasp, Aug 26, 2015.

1. rasp Win User

Win 10 Pro keeps de-activating on Surface Pro 3

My SP3 was originally on Win 8.1.
    I used Microsoft's media creation tool to create a USB installer for Win 10, then upgraded to Win 10 from usb. After upgrading, I verified that Win 10 was activated. I then booted from the USB installer and did a clean install.

The strange thing is, every few days, "Activate Windows" would appear on the bottom right of my screen. When I try to activate windows, I get this:

Win 10 Pro keeps de-activating on Surface Pro 3 [​IMG]

However, sometimes upon restarting the SP3 it would be activated again. I'm confused as to why it keeps getting deactivated!

:)

2. why cant i actvate windows 10 pro

I am having the same problem with the upgrade this is a Surface pro 3 . I got it in January 2015 New . it will not activate win 10 ,. Win 10 has a problem. I ran a key scan program it not the same as the one in win 8.1 pro that came with it ////??????

AlanHorvath, Aug 26, 2015
  3. I need to make a hard factory reset on a surface pro 3 running windows 10. I cannot log in as any user not even the system admin

I need to make a hard factory reset on a surface pro 3 running windows 10. I cannot log in as any user not even the system admin.

I deleted the one user account on the surface because of some things that were not running correctly now the surface boots up but has Administrator as the user login and says that it is not activated (I know why because I de activated the admin from the
    netplwiz advanced settings)

Isn't there a button configuration or something I can hit on the surface pro 3 to just reset it?

BOBSQUESTION, Aug 26, 2015
  4. Win 10 Pro keeps de-activating on Surface Pro 3

I have the exact same problem as you.

I however upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 by using the Windows Update / Store.
    Windows 10 successfully installed and activated.

Last weekend i made a backup of the recovery partition on a USB drive, then downloaded Windows 10 Pro 64bit by using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, and created a bootable USB stick.

Then i booted into Windows 10 setup, deleted all partitions and performed a clean Windows 10 install.
    The clean install completed successfully.. Win10 installed all drivers and activated like it should, but now i have the same problem as rasp. Every few days Windows suddenly says it isn't activated, i get the same error code as rasp.

The strange thing is, if click on the button 'Go to Store', it says in the Windows app store that there is a (unspecified) problem, then i click to verify my Windows install and it reloads or whatever and i get a message saying i have a legitimate Windows version.

NickyNails, Aug 26, 2015
  5. rasp Win User
    Wow, NickyNails, I never expected to find someone with the same problem!

It's ironic.. I did Win 10 installs on a handful of other laptops in my office, even on my 9 year old laptop and they didn't get this problem. But Microsoft's own Surface Pro 3 is the one to act up. So unexpected.

6. Last night i chatted with a Microsoft Support agent and he recommended to restore the Windows 8.1 recovery image and from there perform the Windows 10 upgrade.He told me that the issue we have could be caused by a Windows update corrupting some system software.

It's not the solution i was hoping for, i was hoping that Microsoft on their end could validate my license and save me the trouble of recovering back to Win8.1 installing all updates and then upgrade to Windows 10 all over again *Huh

edit: you can download the recovery image here

NickyNails, Aug 27, 2015
  7. reski Win User
    Hey guys,

I am a international user so please ignore my poor English if there is any.

I just encountered the exactly problem on my Surface Pro 3 as well, so I did a Disk Cleanup (including system files clean up) and restart my sp3. It then shows my Windows 10 is activated again.

I don't if it's because of what I did, but just give it a try, maybe it does work for you. Ultimately I hope Microsoft could fix this bug ASAP cuz it's quite annoying when you're at work.

Let me know if it works *Wink

reski, Sep 1, 2015
  8. rasp Win User

I've just upgraded my Mum's SP3 via windows update, then after confirming that it was activated, did a clean install.
    The same problem appears! Sometimes Windows would not be activated. This is so annoying.. I did the Windows 10 upgrade on more laptops recently and non of them had this problem.

rasp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Pro keeps de-activating on Surface Pro 3 - Similar Threads - Pro keeps activating

2. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  3. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  4. Windows de-activates on Surface Pro X

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows de-activates on Surface Pro X: I have a Surface Pro X that was fine for about a month, then all of a sudden Windows 10 is no longer activated. In Activation settings it says it can't activate Windows with error code 0xC004F012, and then using the original product key from the system board, when trying to...
  5. Surface pro 3 OS win 10 not going to Sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface pro 3 OS win 10 not going to Sleep.: We are using surface pro 3 with windows 10 OS. surface device not going to sleep when i apply sleep command from Start ->Power -> Sleep. after apply sleep command only PC get locked but not going to sleep. as we checked if we restart OS and then try to sleep without user...
  6. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 3: Hi The Surface Pro tablets are brilliant and I have most probably been responsible to recommending many of them to friends following buy a Surface Pro 3 when they were released. Since a firmware update in recent times I have no issues and since then my keyboard if left...
  7. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Pro 3: Is there a app to turn my Surface Pro into a phone? Moved from: Surface / Surface Pro 3 / Install, update, and repair https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/surface-pro-3/3595d5eb-eefd-4427-81a5-68fc539fdff9
  8. surface pro 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    surface pro 3: lost admin rights on pc and surface pro3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/surface-pro-3/1fa4e483-afcb-4eec-9f85-15b3b50f064f
  9. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify: So basically after a certain amount of time, when I reboot my Surface Pro 3 or sometimes even leave it running for that long, I wind up getting hit by an error that says that I need to verify my identity. I then have to go over to the Accounts option in Settings and then...
  10. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3: Just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. Now I have no network connections. The wireless drivers and the docking station drivers are all there. I have tried uninstall and reinstall the drivers for both Marvell and Surface ethernet adapter and still nothing....