Windows 10: Win 10 recovery USB drive. Question re personal info

Discus and support Win 10 recovery USB drive. Question re personal info in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So if someone has lost their BCD and cant get into their machine at all and no repair is working and they didn't create a recovery usb nor have any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thedoc46, Feb 20, 2018.

1. thedoc46 Win User

Win 10 recovery USB drive. Question re personal info

So if someone has lost their BCD and cant get into their machine at all and no repair is working and they didn't create a recovery usb nor have any install media. Is it ok to create from a different PC and send it to them? I'm in the process of creating one for someone and it prompted me to use a sizeable usb drive to create it and its taking quite a long time.. I'm wondering if this USB recovery drive is specific for that user PC and that user pc only. Most importantly does it contain personal files ? hidden away in an iso / cab format to recover personal files. Anyway all i want is the tools to try bootrec repairs to try and get them back up and running. but obviously don't want to go sending personal files.

:)

thedoc46, Feb 20, 2018

2. Windows 10 recovery partition

I recently bought a Toshiba computer which came with windows 8.1. The hard drive contained a win. 8.1 recovery partition, and I also created a usb recovery drive.

Then I did the upgrade to win.10 and once installed I created a usb recovery drive. At the very end of this procedure I got the message: "completed. Everything on the recovery partition on your hard drive has been copied to the usb drive."

What I need to know is what partition is it referring to? If a recovery partition was created during the upgrade to Win.10 then I can assume that the Win. 10 recovery partition was copied to the usb recovery drive, but if not, then all I did was create another
    Win. 8.1 usb recovery drive. If this is the case then I have two usb Win. 8.1 recovery drives, both of which are worthless for diagnosing, repairing or reinstalling Win.10. So, in effect, I have no way to fix my Win.10 if it goes down.

This is a sad situation, and it makes me wonder why I upgraded in the first place.

So, what to do? Keep Win.10 with no recovery partitions or usb recovery drives to protect me, or go back to Win. 8.1 where I am protected with the recovery partition and USB recovery drive?

Is there anyone else out there who is dealing with this situation, and if so what are you doing about it?

Let me know.

Tiffany

TiffanyLathrop, Feb 20, 2018
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Recovery Drive

Is the usb thumb drive big enough--8gb or larger--and empty of files? Make sure NOT to use an ext hard drive for the Recovery Drive because the drive will be wiped clean. A recovery drive is for making a bootable thumb drive for accessing recovery options
    such as a system image on an ext hard drive or other recovery options when booting fails.

Edit-- I found more info that might help. Seems that win 8 rules do not all apply to win 10.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options#reset

mlg63, Feb 20, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Feb 20, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    No, it shouldn't contain personal info, but it is specific to the PC that created it (in one way, at least). If you left the 'include system files' box ticked (it's ticked by default) then it includes all the source files to reinstall Windows. This will include any OEM custom apps and drivers if you make it from an OEM-installed Windows 10 (effectively it is a 'factory reset' drive). It is also specific to the 'bits' of the system, x86 or x64.

If you just want the tools, then untick the 'include system files' box. You'll then not need a 'sizeable USB'.

As Brink says, an install USB would be useful. It includes all the repair tools in addition to being able to reinstall Windows. A minimum of an 8GB USB is required.

6. thedoc46 Win User
    thanks, i'm sending both... a bootable copy of the windows 10 v1703 x64 iso and also win 10 recovery drive made off my win10 laptop.

thedoc46, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 recovery USB drive. Question re personal info - Similar Threads - recovery USB drive

2. A question about a recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A question about a recovery usb drive: Hi, so I am posting this because my computer isn't too new but it is still running 10 smoothly. But since it isnt too new now, it may stop responding, lag, not boot properly, give errors, etc . There are some trojans that overwrite your MBR like it happened in 2016. I may...
  3. Recovery Drive question

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive question: Hi guys, I have installation media created on a USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool. My PC is an OEM-Dell but I did away with all the Dell bloatware ages ago. I clean installed using the Media Creation Tool media. In Windows there has always been the option to create...
  4. BOOTABLE USB RECOVERY DRIVE questions.

in Windows 10 Support
    BOOTABLE USB RECOVERY DRIVE questions.: I have a couple of questions concerning USB Recovery Drives such as can be created by AOEMI and MACRUM Backup programs. They have got my PCs going many times over the years. First ,does the Flash Drive have to be empty?I think I recall having to format the drive before use,...
  5. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 and keep programs and personal info

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 and keep programs and personal info: If I purchase Win 10 Pro, can I install it over Win 7 Pro Without losing the programs and personal info in the computer now? I have tried using the free Win 10 download from Microsoft but get an error message "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during...
  6. Recovery Drive Question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive Question: A couple of questions: 1) I have (3) machines with Windows 10 on them. Will a single recovery drive be usable on all three...if I ever needed it...or do I have to make (3) individual recovery drives? One machine is Windows 10 Home and the others are Pro...if that makes a...
  7. Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question on WIN 10 Recovery Drive vs Macrium Recovery/boot/image: Tried creating a Windows 10 Recovery USB but two attempts failed for some unknown reason - both popped up a window stating that Recovery Drive was not Created (although it contained numerous files). I used the common method to create the Recovery using a 16 GB USB which was...
  8. Win 10 recovery from USB recovery drive failed at 75%

Win 10 recovery from USB recovery drive failed at 75%: I tried recovering to a new HD in my HP 8001 tower. It had been intermittently failing to boot Win 10 x64. The "recover from device" failed at 75% from the USB drive I had created with this PC. I tried a recovery USB made from a Win 10 x64 notebook with the same result. I...
  9. Win 10 "Recovery Drive" General Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 "Recovery Drive" General Questions: "A*recovery drive*can help you troubleshoot and fix problems with your PC, even if it won’t start. A recovery drive is a USB version of a*system repair disc*with an option to include the system files to be able to also reset Windows 10 from the recovery drive." Two...
  10. Recovery Drive Question

Recovery Drive Question: Is the recovery drive made with my desktop running W10 Pro 64 bit going to work if ever needed for my laptop running W10 Home 64 bit or will I need to create a seperate recovery drive for the laptop as well? If I do need a separate recovery drive for the laptop, can someone...