Windows 10: win 10 refuses to share drive in workgroup

Discus and support win 10 refuses to share drive in workgroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Drive C: on a new win10 laptop is marked Shared for Everyone, read+write+control (because it will hold a webserver and database server that must be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pzbrawl, Nov 18, 2015.

1. pzbrawl Win User

win 10 refuses to share drive in workgroup

Drive C: on a new win10 laptop is marked Shared for Everyone, read+write+control (because it will hold a webserver and database server that must be manageable from other workstations in the workgroup).

Yet win10 refuses access to a map-network-drive request from File Explorer run as administrator on any win7 machine in the same workgroup.

What an I missing. How do I get past this stumbling block?

:)

pzbrawl, Nov 18, 2015
  2. Joe_Moore Win User

Windows 10 Cannot Reach Network Share

I have a situation where a Win 10 PRO PC cannot access file share on a Win 7 PC. Prior to upgrading to Win 10 PRO this PC was Win 8.1 and could access the share in question.

PC1: Win 7 Pro with shared drives A, C, not joined to a domain, homegroup OFF, WORKGROUP,

PC2 Win 7 Pro, joined to a work domain that is it not on, homegroup OFF,

PC3 Win 10 Pro, shared drive C, not joined to a domain, homegroup OFF, WORKGROUP. I did a clean upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - initially I could mount PC1 A as a drive, but now I get a disconnected error,

All PCs are connected by a simple Telco router. Please take careful note: PRO version of all OSs.

PC1 - can access the files on PC3

PC2 - can access the files on both PC1 and PC3

PC3 - cannot access the files on PC1 (P2 has no shared files/drives). I get the error - MS Windows Network: Logon failure: the use had not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.
    I'm using the exact same credentials that I use on PC2 to gain access. One of the recent updates to Win 10 has created a logon problem. Prior to late December 2015 I could get see A,C on PC2 but there were intermittent problems.
    Since the last week no access at all. MS has been pushing a lot of updates.

PC3 - If I go to This PC > Network I can still see the old mapped drive but everything is greyed out. It's like there is a cache or something that I can't get flushed.

Any ideas?

Joe_Moore, Nov 18, 2015
  3. PABresler Win User
    Unable to share files on Network

Win 10 is more difficult and problematic than previous versions. I have two newer machines now running it, but also have a couple of XP machines I need to share files with on my network.

The file sharing on the Win 10 machines is very unstable...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Both machines are in the same workgroup, I have set all the parameters on Advanced sharing to the recommended settings, the drives and folders on both
    machines are configured for sharing, and I still usually get "Windows cannot access..." when I try to check the C drive on the remote machine, or one of its folders. Sometimes the folders on the C drive will display, but I still get the message when I try
    to open them. Most frustrating...did not have as many problems with Win 7; XP was a cinch!

Peter

PABresler, Nov 18, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

I'm having the same problem. I had it working in the RTM 10240 Win 10 build but now that I've upgraded to the new 105856 build I can't get it to work correctly.\

My opinion they broke something trying to make the OS more secure.

Ztruker, Nov 18, 2015
  5. pzbrawl Win User
    Yikes. How do I revert to Windows 7?

pzbrawl, Nov 18, 2015
  6. pzbrawl Win User
Thema:

1. win 10 refuses to share drive in workgroup - Similar Threads - refuses share drive

2. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  3. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup: I setup a share on a Windows 10 pro computer so that others can map to it via \\hostname\share. The issue is that when I try mapping to it from another computer on the workgroup it prompts for creds. When I enter the creds of the local admin user and click save credentials is...
  6. Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup": Hello, have two machines, running Win 10 Home, both I think are called 32 bit. One machine I use for myself, writing, personally created music, financial etc, the other is used by us both for e-mails, and other information. I had a kind of partial sharing between machines...
  7. Network/Workgroup Sharing

Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  8. Shared folders using Workgroup Windows 10

Shared folders using Workgroup Windows 10: I want to be able to set specific permissions for individual user accounts on other computers for when I share files/folders. When I go to Advanced Sharing and click "Share this folder" and then proceed to go to set permissions, the only location I have available is my...
  9. Windows 10 can't find the Workgroup but says the drive is shared

Windows 10 can't find the Workgroup but says the drive is shared: This is a new question about my homenet: workgroup name HOMENET . Windows 10 said it could not find the path with the error code 0x80070035 a help page I looked at is here: Error code: 0x80070035. The network path was not found. [Solved] - Driver Easy gives some...
  10. Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares

Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares: I have a relatively simple network that consists of a couple Windows 10 PCs, Android devices and Raspberry Pis. For some reason I cannot access the shares provided by the PIs from anything but the android devices. It says they are in WORKGROUP (using Kodi) but they simply...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update stopping drive share via workgroup

2. unable to map drive to workgroup win 7 from win 10 domain