Windows 10: Win 10 reset and clean install failure

Discus and support Win 10 reset and clean install failure in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Samsung All-in-One model dp500a2p After getting the 10 upgrade and letting it activate I decided to reset it to rid my PC of the various crap I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PNWDrew, Aug 12, 2015.

1. PNWDrew Win User

Win 10 reset and clean install failure

Samsung All-in-One model dp500a2p

After getting the 10 upgrade and letting it activate I decided to reset it to rid my PC of the various crap I had downloaded over the last 2 years. It had been running 10 for 2 days at that point with no issues.

That reset failed, ending in a blank screen. I had downloaded and burned the Win 10 installation media so I booted that and tried to rollback, which also failed with same result. I went through the various troubleshooting options included with no luck. Every option either told me it had failed and it eventually rebooted to the same blank screen.

So giving up on the previous install I tried to do a clean install using that same recovery media. It went through all the usual installation steps and restarted; back to the same blank screen. I repeated the process, thinking that perhaps I had failed to partition it right or something. I deleted all 4 existing partitions and let it recreate its partitions from a blank drive. Same result, it went through the install steps until restart and then nothing. Once it fails to restart into Windows there is no life. No cursor, no hard drive activity, nothing.

I've tried multiple times now with no luck. I've downloaded and burned the installation media three times and tried to install via USB also. I've never gotten past the restart step of installation. It restarts, shows the Samsung splash then goes dark with hard drive activity, after 20-30 seconds the HD stops and that's it; same result every time.

I've used the SystemRescue Linux application to format the drive from outside. I don't think the drive failed. I can get into command line from the recovery menu when using the Win 10 Installation disc so I think the PC is alive at some level still.

I've tried many ideas found on the web like disabling secure boot and/or UEFI in BIOS. I came across a post about the OS choosing the wrong display and had hope but nada. Once it restarts it goes to the blank screen and that's it.

In the many times I've booted into the installer I've seen a few things other than the usual installation menu, once when asked to repair it saw 2 copies of Win 10, another time it gave me the 0XC0000001 error.

That's it, I'm at a loss at this point.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for reading this rather long post.

Drew

:)

PNWDrew, Aug 12, 2015

2. Win 10 refresh and clean install failure

Hi Drew,

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

I am sorry to know that you are having many issues with Windows 10.

Is it a notebook or tablet? Try using hardware buttons to adjust display brightness up,

we have a report of at least one PC which had this issue (brightness at min, increasing brightness enabled us to continue setup).

• Open an Administrator CMD window. If you can’t find a way, use these steps:
      • Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.
      • Click File > Run New Task
      • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
      • Type CMD
    • Type the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow
    • If EITHER command does not show a good outcome, we need to stop and repair Windows. We have 3 options:
      • Go Back: If there are other significant issues, or if the customer is not sure of using Windows 10, Go Back. The plan from there will be to clean up the configuration to prepare for an upgrade.
      • Reset: If possible, remove Antivirus/Sec Software and perform a Reset (keeping data and settings). Customers will need to reinstall apps with this option.
      • In-Place Upgrade: If the customer is unwilling, we can try uninstalling the Antivirus/Sec Software and try an in-place upgrade. We should set expectation.
    • If the above commands both completed and show no remaining issues, run these commands:

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Check to be sure this command ran, showed a blue progress indicator and then returns to the prompt.
      • If you see a red error, then the command may have been typed or pasted incorrectly, or there may be an larger problem with Windows 10. Try again.
    • Check to see if the issue is resolved.
      • If not, restart the PC. In this case try as a new administrator user account.
      • If the new user also fails, go up to the steps for “3. If EITHER command does not show…” above. We need to repair Windows.

We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    Also, update or re-install display drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Do not try the following steps because it will disable Go Back feature on Windows 10:

• Refresh

• Reset

• Disk Cleanup (if it touched Windows.old or $windows.~bt)

• Manually deleting files within Windows.old or $windows.~bt

• Running on battery (must be plugged in)
    If external device was used during upgrade to store Go Back data – the customer must have it to perform a Go Back.

How to recover / restore your previous version of Windows using the Rollback feature:

How to recover / restore your previous version of Windows using the Rollback feature in the Anniversary Edition and the Spring / Fall Creators Update

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Win 10 refresh and clean install failure

Hi,

Hope this is the right forum, I'm calling this an installation problem as going back to 8.1 and recovery are no longer options.

Background:

A few days after upgrading my Samsung All-In-One Mod# DP500A2P to 10 I decided to refresh/reinstall to remove the settings I had messed with and random stuff I had installed since Win 8. I opted to use the options within WIn 10 to remove my files and reinstall
    a fresh version because it was easiest. After a bit it said it needed to reboot. It did so but never returned to any windows screens at all after the Samsung splash screen.

I used an installation disc created through the MS download tool to get to recovery and tried the return to previous version option, that said it could not do it but to try a reset; I did but same result. A blank screen. No cursor. No hard drive activity.
    I tried the reset 3x with same failure. After restart the HD runs for a bit then stops. No errors are displayed.

The Problem:

So I gave up and decided to just do a clean install, using same installation disc. It went through the installation steps as normal (preparing, installing features, installing updates, etc..) but again the blank screen after restart. Installer creates
    the 4 partitions and acts normally but something fails after the restart.

I downloaded the media creation tool again and burnt a 2nd disc in case the iso image was corrupted, but had same results. Also I tried to install off a USB instead.

I've tried startup repair, reset, etc.. every option in the recovery. I can get a command prompt and there are files on the hard disk. I can move through the file system by the usual commands. Notepad opens if I try to view a txt file.... in other words
    the OS is there and it is Win 10.0.10240 according to ver. I tried to start explorer.exe but no luck.

Help!

Drew

DelawareDrew, Aug 12, 2015
Thema:

Win 10 reset and clean install failure

1. Win 10 reset and clean install failure - Similar Threads - reset clean install

2. Win 10 Clean Install failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Clean Install failure: I have a Dell 5423 laptop core i7 with a 250GB M2 SSD and 500GB SSD. This laptop now my spare has been running Win 10 for many years with no problems. I recently tried to do a clean install of Win 10 and it now continually fails. It loads all of the files and then at the...
  3. CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10

CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN 10: Attn: Greg Carmack Greg: I am studying your tutorial on doing a CLEAN INSTALL to try to familiarize my self with the process. Your instructions are quite simple to understand but I am getting confused on the link to the article about File History. This is what I understand...
  4. Clean install win 10

Clean install win 10: Hey, I have a toshiba satellite computer. a week ago the computer got into the automatic repair loop. After trying some methods i understood that my only option is to clean install win 10 again. So, i used Rufus to make a bootable usb and when the installation got atarted i...
  5. Clean Install Failure

Clean Install Failure: One of my students has a laptop that won’t update from 1803. It keeps telling me it’s up to date, but I know better! ☹ He decided to just do a clean install, but . . . I’ve tried the UUPDump route, the Rufus route and a few other things, for a clean install, but so far,...
  6. clean install win 10

clean install win 10: cannot create a partition or find an existing one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-win-10/72c073f8-1a63-4866-b133-7559ced90d03
  7. Win 10 factory reset failure

Win 10 factory reset failure: recently did a factory reset on my Dell Inspiron 5567 laptop (Build Nov 2016, i7, 8Gb, AMD R7 m445 graphics) to try and repair some long standing bugs I had encountered during previous attempts at Win10 updates. Unfortunately after completing the reset, the laptop boots up,...
  8. Clean install of win 10 ?

Clean install of win 10 ?: Hi guys;i could never do a Clean a install of win10 preview on my PC's from a DVD ISO, i get stuck here, see pic; although i can upgrade from win 7 to win 10. the DVD ISO i made was from MS. Image codes: DSC02178 4374
  9. Install clean Win 10

Install clean Win 10: Hello I used the media creation tool which I had burned to dvd to install win 10 after uupgradingfrom 8.1. I paid strict attention to any place like adv or apply to delete the partitions but found none. I did tell it to bring "nothing" forward in the process. The pc works...
  10. Clean install Win 10

Clean install Win 10: Initial state of machine - Machine Lenovo AIO, win10 home 64bit UEFI Created DVD and USB via media creation tool 64bit win 10 home and booted into both media they load as far as getting all files then reboots. System created 4 partions Disc map on 2TB disc. Partion size...