Windows 10: Win 10 stuck on build 10240

Discus and support Win 10 stuck on build 10240 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I fear my PC has become a security risk because it is unable to update. It repeatedly tries to update but at about 35% into the installation it stops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Arismac, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Arismac Win User

Win 10 stuck on build 10240

I fear my PC has become a security risk because it is unable to update. It repeatedly tries to update but at about 35% into the installation it stops and reverts to the previous version. I am not a "tech wiz" and have no idea how to overcome this problem. I can not even install Kindle now as my machine is a security risk. Help, please ...

:)

Arismac, Sep 25, 2017
  2. NeoQ Win User

Whats the difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro?

Clean install a previous build of Win 10 Insider Preview (like Build 10130) and then upgrade it with the official Win 10 TH1 Build 10240. You will have a fully activated Win 10 Pro.

3. Update to most recent build not working

I’m “flummoxed”.

Two PCs running 64 bit Windows 10 Home. One PC is an Asus ROG laptop with Win 10 build 10240 on first drive and build 10547 on second drive. Also a Dell Inspiron desktop with Win 10 10565 on first drive and build 10240 on second drive.

As of this writing build 10565 is the most recent Microsoft build. In theory all four drives on the two PCs should upgrade to build 10565 , however nothing I do to update Win 10 to the most recent build works. How do I upgrade the three drive with
    older builds (i.e. 10240 and 10547) to the most recent build (i.e. 10565).

veryoldjerry, Sep 25, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Have you tried creating a ISO on a DVD to do the clean install?

bro67, Sep 25, 2017
  5. Arismac Win User
    Yes, I have but am not sure I did it correctly. I think perhaps I should have changed the boot order but am not sure how to go about. I get very nervous outside the GUI

Arismac, Sep 25, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, suggest you work through this... then post back. Do some basic checks, then try upgrading manually without applying updates during that.

I also strongly recommend you follow our so often stated recommendations to use disk imaging routinely. Before attempting this major operation, secure your current state by creating a disk image of your windows partitions. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free), option Windows Backup. You will need large enough external storage for your backup image sets. (E.g. 2x the used space you are imaging).

Worst case- the upgrade fails and you and up with an unbootable PC. With your disk image(s) you should always be able to recover relatively painlessly.

Best to eliminate elementary issues - please try some basic checks before looking at the logs (below).

1. Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

2. If ok:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. Separate downloading the iso and the update and installation process.
    Download it manually:
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

When you have that you can use it repeatedly, and you also have a useful bootable tool for certain repairs if you create a DVD or bootable USB drive.

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

4. Before you try upgrading again - which is a risk - please create a disk image of what you have now. (We strongly urge people to routinely use disk imaging- so many advantages, including potentially reducing the need to clean install). E.g. Macrium reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for image sets.

If things go wrong, you can get back to where you were fairly readily.
    (Disk imaging helps even if your disk fails or your PC is unbootable e.g. and also creates a full backup)

5. When upgrading:
    - disable your AV, disconnect any unnecessary peripherals; also see 'Here's How' in the tutorial below.

What went wrong? See:
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

- & see the yellow Tips section

Then see this where many error numbers and messages are listed:
    How to Troubleshoot Common Setup and Stop Errors During Windows - Microsoft Community

Please also post a screenshot of your partitions: Minitool Partition Wizard is good for this - please make sure all text in columns is fully displayed.

Make sure you have about 24-28Gb free space on your Windows partition (Windows.old will be created).

Best to have 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk which should avoid any Windows partitions being created on a different disk (if any).

dalchina, Sep 25, 2017
  7. Arismac Win User
    Thank so very much. I will work through your detailed post and do my best to follow your instructions. I will report back soon.

Arismac, Sep 25, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

bro67, Sep 26, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    The creating of the boot DVD is actually really easy. Download Microsoft's program at Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) That link in the tutorial has been messed up for a long time.

bro67, Sep 26, 2017
  10. Arismac Win User
    Ok will do. My sincere thanks. I had a problem with installing Macrium free version so I am downloading a paid version. I will report back after I have an image on an external USB backup drive.

Arismac, Sep 26, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    - not sure that will help with installation problems- sounds more as though it's related to your current Windows installation difficulties. However that does mean you have access to their forum.
    Remember to create its bootable disk.

But yes, create an image first (option Windows Backup so it selects all relevant partitions for you, and you have a full backup too.

Note: there's no guarantee upgrading this time will succeed as there can be different reasons as to why an upgrade fails, but let's start with the basics.

dalchina, Sep 26, 2017
  12. Arismac Win User
    Here is rthe Hard Drive Sentinal image that you asked for. I presume trhis is OK and I will move on.

Win 10 stuck on build 10240 [​IMG]

Arismac, Sep 26, 2017
  13. Arismac Win User

The next step did not go to plan. This what I got when I tried to run Check Disk on the C:/ drive.

Win 10 stuck on build 10240 [​IMG]

Arismac, Sep 26, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    That should be an admin (elevated) command prompt...

dalchina, Sep 26, 2017
  15. Arismac Win User
    Thank you. How do I get that prompt, please?

Arismac, Sep 26, 2017
Thema:

1. Win 10 stuck on build 10240 - Similar Threads - stuck build 10240

2. Build 10240

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 10240: So basically im still on the build 10240 and tried updating my computer, i got the error code 0x80240fff and tried updating it with the update assistant that i could download, but that didnt work and was told to restart my pc and try again did that and it still didnt work.....
  3. Completely STUCK on Windows 10 - 10240

Completely STUCK on Windows 10 - 10240: Hi everybody, Well, I've tried every solution I could find - no result. Update manager, Media stuff, October update... Even to manually find some package I've somehow missed, no luck. Everything works, system reports that I'm up to date, but I can't install some programs,...
  4. win 10 build 10240

win 10 build 10240: O/S will not update NVIDIA display 23.21.13.8813, then claims featured update win 10 1803... even rebooted system. Thks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-build-10240/e698df56-9314-4ffa-aade-0063a8b4b44d
  5. Windows 10 stuck on Build 10240 - Version 1.0 (2015 update)

Windows 10 stuck on Build 10240 - Version 1.0 (2015 update): Hey guys as you can read I have encountered a problem in which I can not update my Windows 10 PC. Before last year (2016) I stopped using my windows 10 PC and used my windows 8 pc. This year I switched back thinking Windows 10 would be less flimsy, but I was obviously wrong....
  6. win 10 pro build 10240 - update says up to date!!!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 10 pro build 10240 - update says up to date!!!: Lenovo b590 i3 4gb ram 500gb hdd + AVG free: Windows 10 pro build 10240, upgrade from win 7.1 pro. No windows updates received since upgrading, however the update setting says upto date, last update Dec 2016 - been unable to get past this bottleneck - tried stopping...
  7. Can't install Windows 10 Anniversary update, stuck on build 10240

Can't install Windows 10 Anniversary update, stuck on build 10240: Hi, I have a Packard Bell OneTwo S3221. It came factory installed with W7. I upgraded to W10 last year after difficulty - upgrading to W10 via Windows update would not work, kept installing to a certain percentage then would reboot to a blank screen and freeze...
  8. win 10 pro build 10240 hasn't received the November update build 1511

win 10 pro build 10240 hasn't received the November update build 1511: My win 10 pro build 10240 hasn't received the November update build 1511 while my other win 10 home versions have. I know I'm not the only one having this problem but here's my two cents. On my xw4600, I upgraded from win 8.1 pro to win 10 pro as soon as 10 was available some...
  9. Stuck in 10240

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in 10240: Hi I'm new here and to win 10 so hoping to learn a lot from this group! My one installation seems to be stuck in build 10240. I am not part of insider preview. The build I have was upgraded from win8.1 (upgrade install) and dates back to July/August. Although I am set...
  10. Problems with Build 10240

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Build 10240: So far, I have no sound and Cortana is not working when I speak to her. Any solutions and fixed? 8367

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is my windows 10 usb key installing 10240

2. windows 2010 build 10240 no windows updates

3. windows 10 update stuck on build 10240