Windows 10: Win 10 system try not showing all apps until Explorer.exe is restarted

Discus and support Win 10 system try not showing all apps until Explorer.exe is restarted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10 home Version 1703 OS Build 15063.540 All available updates applied. Here's the deal. I have been seeing this issue for some time now and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JustRay, Sep 5, 2017.

1. JustRay Win User

Win 10 system try not showing all apps until Explorer.exe is restarted

Win 10 home
    Version 1703 OS Build 15063.540
    All available updates applied.

Here's the deal.
    I have been seeing this issue for some time now and this is the first time I am serious about trying to do something about it.

I have a number of application that SHOULD appear in the system try (AKA Notification area.).
    I can "see" them via the Task Manager.
    And if I attempt to run them they actually work.

But they don't all show up in the system try until I bring up the Task Manager, end explorer.exe and restart explorer.exe.
    Then, they all appear.

This issue only seems to happen if I restart my pc.
    Once the pc is running, the icons never disappear.

Settings \ Personalization \ Taskbar \ Select which icons appear on the Taskbar.
    The applications that don't seem to appear are all listed, and the are all turned "On".
    I also tried turning on the "Always show all icons in the notification area", but that didn't change anything.

I run malware bytes, defender and a number of other tools so I am reasonably sure my pc is free from virus and malware.

I have also, uninstalled some of the apps in question and reinstalled them without relieving the issue.
    So, I'm also pretty sure the issue is NOT with the apps themselves.

I'm very confused and wonder if I might ask for some ideas as to what I might do in order to NOT have to restart Explorer.exe whenever I restart my pc.

Ray in Wisconsin

:)

JustRay, Sep 5, 2017

2. Icons for running apps, not appearing in the system tray (notification area) unless explorer.exe is restarted

Win 10 home

Version 1703 OS Build 15063.540

All available updates applied.

Here's the deal.

I have been seeing this issue for some time now (couple of months) and this is the first time I am serious about trying to do something about it.

I have a number of applications that SHOULD appear in the system try (AKA Notification area.).

I can "see" them via the Task Manager.

And if I attempt to run them they actually work.

But they don't all show up in the system try until I bring up the Task Manager, end explorer.exe and restart explorer.exe.

Then, they all appear.

This issue only seems to happen if I restart my pc.

Once the pc is running, the icons never disappear.

Settings \ Personalization \ Taskbar \ Select which icons appear on the Taskbar.

The applications that don't seem to appear are all listed, and the are all turned "On".

I also tried turning on the "Always show all icons in the notification area", but that didn't change anything.

I run malware bytes, defender and a number of other tools so I am reasonably sure my pc is free from virus and malware.

I have also, uninstalled some of the apps in question and reinstalled them without relieving the issue.

So, I'm also pretty sure the issue is NOT with the apps themselves.

I'm very confused and wonder if I might ask for some ideas as to what I might do in order to NOT have to restart Explorer.exe whenever I restart my pc.

Ray in Wisconsin

JustRayInWisconsin, Sep 5, 2017
  3. BlackScreen appearing when rebooted after installation of windows update 1511 build 10586.494

If you can see Task Manager you can go into Details and confirm that explorer.exe is not running; then that would explain all your other symptoms. You could try restarting explorer.exe using TM's File, New... command.

Typically the reason that explorer.exe would not be working is that it would have crashed, probably as a resulting of another incompatible system product's interference. You could try booting in safe mode to see if explorer.exe would still crash then.
    That would be a first step in a clean-boot diagnosis.

i tried rebooting through safe mode(through msconfig), explorer.exe doesnt start in there too..

i dont know which product is incompatible with the system though...

RiteshChoudhury, Sep 5, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are having issues that continue to get worse, your best way to solve is a clean install of Windows 10. As you continue to make changes to various areas, you are just making the problems develop more problems.

bro67, Sep 5, 2017
  5. Winuser Win User
    Winuser, Sep 5, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Hi there, Ray from WI. *Smile

After searching the Net, I find this is not a prevalent problem for 10. I found this method in various places, but the Registry entries aren't quite the same. I dual boot and am going to experiment with this in my other OS later just for grins if you care to wait.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-vista-o

You may want to try these:

Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Have you any Restore points to go back to by any chance?

Create System Restore Point in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

System Restore Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

I see Winuser just posted a good suggestion as well.

Tony K, Sep 5, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, do you notice any difference
    a. in Safe Mode
    b. if you create another user for test purposes

i.e. is this related to some 3rd party program?

If you see them same in both (a) and (b) as now, then suggest an in-place upgrade repair install as mentioned above which keeps all programs and data and most settings.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 system try not showing all apps until Explorer.exe is restarted - Similar Threads - system try showing

2. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: Anyone find a solution for this issue? Previous thread now locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-drives-not-showing-in-explorer-until/dcb20da0-a0b5-4ba9-a535-6af713e2041a?auth=1...
  3. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: Anyone find a solution for this issue? Previous thread now locked:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mapped-drives-not-showing-in-explorer-until/dcb20da0-a0b5-4ba9-a535-6af713e2041a?auth=1...
  4. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. The unnamed exe. app when restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The unnamed exe. app when restarting: when i restart, theres a warning "this app is not letting you restart" and theres an app unnamed " "is that a threat? topic is random becuse idk what is it...
  6. Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted

Mapped Drives not showing untill Explorer is restarted: I have a few machines in our network that can not view our mapped drives until their explorer.exe are restarted. They are receiving mapped drives via a GPO through update. I have tried setting my registry entry to...
  7. Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?

Mapped drives not showing in explorer until explorer restarted?: When I map drives through the UI on explorer I can't see them until explorer.exe is killed and restarted or a reboot I tried setting the registry entry Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLinkedConnections to a DWORD...
  8. Mapped drives don't show in Explorer until Explorer restarted

Mapped drives don't show in Explorer until Explorer restarted: Hi there, I've been experiencing a strange issue lately for multiple users. First, our drives are mapped via GPO. All drives map settings in the policy are consistent for all drives. A mapped network drive is not visible at all in Explorer. Other drives are visible...
  9. not all Win. 10 apps are showing up in the Windows store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    not all Win. 10 apps are showing up in the Windows store: hey there: I faced an issue where going to the Microsoft store, I found that not all Windows 10 apps are showing up. I tried many steps, including resetting the store, but no help. I figured out a way to fix the issue. Reset the apps. Then, after going back to the store, I...
  10. Taskbar is not working until a restart of windows explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar is not working until a restart of windows explorer: Hi Whenever I restart my computer (mostly after a windows update), the taskbar does not work (clicks on the icons/clock/notifications do nothing) and if I click on the start button, I get a popup saying there was a problem and I should sign out and sign back in to solve...
Tags: