Windows 10: Win 10 Tablet Sees USB drives, but does NOT see any data!

Discus and support Win 10 Tablet Sees USB drives, but does NOT see any data! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm running 32-bit Windows 10 Pro on a Toshiba Encore 2, model WT10-A tablet. I can always boot it successfully from any UEFI USB flash drive (both 2.0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thenin, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Thenin Win User

Win 10 Tablet Sees USB drives, but does NOT see any data!

I'm running 32-bit Windows 10 Pro on a Toshiba Encore 2, model WT10-A tablet. I can always boot it successfully from any UEFI USB flash drive (both 2.0 & 3.0), but when I insert either type when running Windows -- although they show up in both the Device Manager and the Disk Manager -- they never show up in "This PC" and they never show any data!

For example, if I view the device in the Device Manager and select the "Volumes" tab then press "Populate" on any USB drive, it always looks like this:
    Win 10 Tablet Sees USB drives, but does NOT see any data! [​IMG]

What can I do?

Thanks!

:)

Thenin, Jul 29, 2017
  2. FredBK Win User

File Explorer does not discover networked drives in Build 14926

I have a USB drive attached to my router which normally shows under networking in File Explorer. This does not happen in this build. This problem exists on a PC and a laptop with this build installed.

I also have Win 10 Build 14939.187, the Anniversary Update, installed on a PC and a tablet. Both of these units show the drive in FE as expected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FredBK, Jul 29, 2017
  3. paul121 Win User
    I'm running Win.10 on an HP 67 SERIES. When I connect an android tablet via USB it does not find it.

Original Title - Tablet

I'm running Win.10 on an HP 67 SERIES.When I connect an android tablet via USB it does not find it.Any answers?

paul121, Jul 29, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Actually, a screenshot of Disk Manager would probably be more informative. I suspect it would show that the partition on the USB shown as Disk 2 does not have a drive letter assigned. Only drives with a drive letter are shown in 'This PC'.

If my suspicions are correct, right-click on the partition in Disk Manager and try assigning it a letter.

It may be that the USB was formatted on another system (Mac? Linux?) and is not a format that Windows recognises. If so it may not be possible to read the data anyway. Windows may even say 'you need to format' the drive - don't, or you'll loose any data it may hold.

If you successfully can see the drive after giving it a letter, then it looks like your Windows is set to not automatically mount and assign letter for new drives. From a Command prompt (Admin) type DISKPART. When you get the DISKPART> prompt, type the command: automount which will tell you if it's currently enabled or disabled. Type automount enable to turn it on.

5. Thenin Win User
    Thanks for your reply!

I had already known that assigning a drive letter was necessary, but of course that never worked. I apologize for failing to point that out in my OP.

Here's a capture showing the Disk Manager window and the error message I receive whenever I try to assign a letter:

Naturally I tried everything the error message suggested, but nothing ever works. Note that the upper portion of the Disk Manager display shows no indication that the USB flash drive is even present.

The drive was formatted and the data was stored on it from a Windows 7 Pro system. Also, the drive can be read and written on all of the other 5 Windows systems I own perfectly (I don't possess any Linux or Mac systems).

Thenin, Jul 29, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Sometimes the first time a USB is inserted it is misidentified and the wrong driver gets loaded, this incorrect driver will be used from then on whenever this USB is inserted. Do any other USBs work normally? If so, this may be your problem.

With a 'problem' USB inserted, open Device Manager. Find the USB under 'Disk drives', right-click on it and select 'Uninstall device'. Next choose 'Scan for hardware changes' from the Actions menu which will reinstall it. Does it work now?

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Tablet Sees USB drives, but does NOT see any data! - Similar Threads - Tablet Sees USB

2. Win 10 not seeing D drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 not seeing D drive: HelloWindows 10 on my Advent SE2102 desktop PC is not 'seeing' my D drive CD-DVD ROM in File Explorer which means I cannot use it. The drive itself works fine: it ejects the tray and accepts it back. Any advice appreciated. Thank you....
  3. Win 10 not seeing D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 not seeing D drive: HelloWindows 10 on my Advent SE2102 desktop PC is not 'seeing' my D drive CD-DVD ROM in File Explorer which means I cannot use it. The drive itself works fine: it ejects the tray and accepts it back. Any advice appreciated. Thank you....
  4. Win 10 not seeing D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my computer does not see my usb drive: my computer does not see my usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-see-my-usb-drive/d3a46900-232b-4091-8fdd-e7cd4e6ba80e
  6. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer does not see my usb drive: my computer does not see my usb device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-does-not-see-my-usb-drive/d3a46900-232b-4091-8fdd-e7cd4e6ba80e
  7. my computer does not see my usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Cant see usb drive

Cant see usb drive: I cannot access my external Seagate USB drive. I can see it in disc management but the change drive letter option is greyed out. I can access other USB drives that I plug into the same port and can access the seagate drive from other computers. I have tried updating the...
  9. Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 does not see USB flash drive, but Linux does: This PC is six years old and otherwise runs Windows 10 okay. But it has an annoying problem with USB flash drives. When I insert one, I see the blue (it's a SanDisk Extreme 3.0) light on it, but Windows never shows it in explorer. At first I thought it was the hardware, so I...
  10. Wins 10 does not see my dvd drive

Wins 10 does not see my dvd drive: Crossed over Fri. and all went well,BUT for one thing the system does not see the drive..if you click hidden folders on Manager it shows up with the following the drive is not connected to the computer ( 45)....which i get a laugh from.It is not connected..buuuut..it reads it...