Windows 10: Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ?

Discus and support Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; - Unattended Sleep Timeout key (introduced with Vista). Since the default timeout is 120 seconds, I changed that to prevent the PC from returning to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Voyager 1, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Voyager 1 Win User

Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ?

- Unattended Sleep Timeout key (introduced with Vista). Since the default timeout is 120 seconds, I changed that to prevent the PC from returning to Standby when it's running unattended overnight AV & MBAM scans.

Is this option still available in Win 10? With Win 7 > Control Panel > Power Options > Change when the computer sleeps > change advanced power settings, here's a screencap that illustrates my question:

Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ? [​IMG]

The corresponding Registry Key is here in Win 7. Path is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0\DefaultPowerSchemeValues

Power Options:

Registry Key Power Plan
    381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e Balanced
    8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c High performance
    a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a Power saver

Does Win 10 have the default 120-second timeout value present and can it be modified as with Win 7?

:)

Voyager 1, Jun 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 sleeping when set not to

I finally found a solution that worked for me. It required changing a value in the registry so that I could see the "System unattended sleep timeout" option but as soon as I did enable it by changing the registry value, the option was visible in the power
    options and the default of 2 minutes (which explained the 2 minute sleep). I changed it to 1440 minutes and my problem hasn't returned (I made the change over a month ago).

Here are the links that gave me the solution:

Power Options - Add "System unattended sleep timeout" - Windows 7 Help Forums

Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

I was nervous about running the registry script so I manually changed it and didn't have any problems. Now I know the script would have been fine.

The question to Microsoft is why this hidden option is controlling behavior and only started for me after upgrading from Win 8 to Win 10?

Here is the DWORD Value that I had to change to make the option visible in the power options. (It is the same registry key mentioned in the sevenforum thread)

KimDewerff, Jun 7, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Goes to Sleep Too Early

Yeah. The link gives the solution for the problem on my PC. This is an irritating design flaw. Windows 10 obviously uses this option, but hide it from users. And, this option has higher priority than user-defined sleep timeout. I've tested the following
    two cases:

1) When unattended sleep timeout < user-defined sleep timeout, unattended sleep timeout will kick in first. So if unattended sleep timeout is 2 min, user-defined sleep timeout is 30 min, the PC will go to sleep in 2 min.

2) When unattended sleep timeout > user-defined sleep timeout, you expect the user-defined sleep timeout will take effect, right? Wrong. The unattended sleep timeout is still the one to decide the actual sleep timeout. I don't understand why the design is
    like this. Sleep timeout is sleep timeout, just make it simple!

ShushanWen, Jun 7, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Voyager,

I just checked the registry in Windows 10, and the System unattended sleep timeout option is still there. It will need to be enabled like in Windows 7 first. The tutorial below can do this for you. *Smile

Power Options - Add - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Jun 7, 2015
  5. Voyager 1 Win User
    Shawn

That's the same Win 7 Tutorial I used a while back to add that into the Power Options dialog. Worked great.

Are the Standby modes the same in Win 10 as Win 7)?

S1 thru S4 ?

- ("Scoop" at the Win 7 Forum)

Voyager 1, Jun 7, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ? - Similar Threads - Unattended Sleep Timeout

2. want to update Win vista to win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    want to update Win vista to win 10?: Windows Vista wont let me update to Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-update-win-vista-to-win-10/3f67f9a2-26c8-434f-86aa-174e5beab79e
  3. Vista, Win 7 then Win 10 reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vista, Win 7 then Win 10 reset: After updating Vista to Win 7 & Win 10, what would happen if I reset computer.I would like to reinstall Win 10.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vista-win-7-then-win-10-reset/81eae0e2-b860-408f-81c9-59db287950b1
  4. Vista, Win 7 then Win 10 reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vista, Win 7 then Win 10 reset: After updating Vista to Win 7 & Win 10, what would happen if I reset computer.I would like to reinstall Win 10.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vista-win-7-then-win-10-reset/81eae0e2-b860-408f-81c9-59db287950b1
  5. win 7 & vista to 10 upgrades??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 7 & vista to 10 upgrades??: Hi all, hope your having a great day.. I have a few desktop's I would like to upgrade, I have 3 that have windows 7 that I installed not long ago.. and I have a desktop that has the factory key to vista,but the HHD is formatted, it has the factory product key on the case, the...
  6. Making Win 10 easy for Win XP/Vista/7 users...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Making Win 10 easy for Win XP/Vista/7 users...: Hi Guys, I was on XP for many, many years. Only switched over to Win 8.1 last April. I couldn't get used to the Windows 8.1 'Metro' UI on my desktop PC, so I installed Classic Shell. What a difference! Looked and worked pretty much as my old XP system did. Same deal...
  7. WIN 10 REGISTRY Compared to Win 7/8

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    WIN 10 REGISTRY Compared to Win 7/8: Hi, I have lots of Registry tweaks ( reg files ) from the win7/8 forums collected over the years. When I set up win 8, I noticed many of the win 7 reg settings were similar and worked in win 8, but a few did not, mainly to do with ui iirc. Now I want to use the...
  8. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917
  9. windows 10 win 7 and vista

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 win 7 and vista: I have windows vista and 7 on dual boot, same drive . I ask the board if it is possible to install win 10 on an other partion and keep all 3 on the same drive. If it's possible how I will go about. thank you for any support 78920
  10. Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10: How to: Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 How to Change System Unattended Sleep Timeout in Windows 10 The System unattended sleep timeout power setting is the idle timeout before the system returns to a low power sleep state after waking unattended....