Windows 10: Win 10 update keeps creating new user file folders

Discus and support Win 10 update keeps creating new user file folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every few WIN10 updates or so I end up with my all my settings changed as if it was a brand-new install. no programs, nothing. When I look at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reevejj, Oct 13, 2017.

1. reevejj Win User

Win 10 update keeps creating new user file folders

Every few WIN10 updates or so I end up with my all my settings changed as if it was a brand-new install. no programs, nothing. When I look at the C:/Users directory I get this:

C;/Users/Jason (original)
    C:/Users/Jason.JASONWIN10 (update 2 months ago)
    C:/Users/Jason.JASONWIN10.000 (update today)

Each time it adds a new user directory but doesn't copy any of my files or settings. There are still there in the previous folder, but I have to manually move everything. Also, desktop programs disappear (but still on C:/drive. Please help!

:)

reevejj, Oct 13, 2017

2. Undo restore win7 on win10

I recently used the win7 restore option on win 10 to restore backed up files on my old win7 computer.

I chose the restore to a new file option. Win 10 created the new file using a odd directory structure: A truncated user name followed by several directories then finally the new file name with the backed up files

I have located the new file now. After copying and pasting to my desired folders can I just safely delete the truncated user name and directory structure. Win 10 also created a the new directory name on my desktop. Can I safely delete that too

arthurjutan, Oct 13, 2017
  3. last 2 updates created new default user and folders and changed all of my preferences, setup, etc.

The last 2 times Windows 10 updated (including 3/25/2018 Win version 1709.

A new user was created called Kevin Brocksieck and created a users/Kevin.Kevin folder, and when started looked like it was the first time it had ever been started.
    All Icons moved or removed, diff wallpaper, etc). Many settings were removed (such as the default web browser)

The folder structure under users/kevin.kevin was correct but all folders were empty.

My original users/Kevin folders are all in place and all files are still there.

I went into my son’s user account and deleted the kevin brocksieck user account.
    But Upon startup all my settings are still wrong, and the default User folder is Kevin.kevin.

Please let me know how to fix this and why it keeps happening.

Thank you.

KevinBrocksieck, Oct 13, 2017
  4. Win 10 update keeps creating new user file folders

Hi reevejj. Welcome to the TenForums @reevejj

What version and build of Windows 10 are you on?

Windows Key + R, type winver, enter

Are you running any special software for privacy, or tweaking or registry cleaners, crash guards etc?

For completeness have you scanned system with an alternate AV, something like Malwarebytes?

I know you mentioned Window Updates but is there any chance your machine is suffering from either Disk issues or BSOD's?

I would shut off automatic restarts after crash. Windows Key + R, sysdm.cpl, click on Advance tab, at bottom "Start Up and Recovery", click on Settings, remove the check mark for Automatic restart and the one for Overwrite existing dump file.

You could also look at the date of your existing dump file in your Windows directory just to see if it has a very recent date. It appears one of the folders in your post was created today.

When is the last time you check your disk for errors. (Chkdsk)

Before trying diagnostic procedures I always recommend that you create a backup of your data off machine, create an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect and have bootable media that matches your current Windows environment.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 13, 2017
  5. reevejj Win User
    Thank Ken - running V 1709 Build 17017.1000.

For registry cleaning etc, I run Advanced SystemCare 10.

I have scanned my system with Malwarebytes. No issues.

No disk issues (I run chkdsk and sfc /scannow regularly) and no BSODs! The system has not crashed in a long time.

Scanned and can find no dump files.

This only happens after some Windows updates, not all...

reevejj, Oct 13, 2017
  6. Okay, you appear to be on the Insider program unless you forced the Fall Creators Update. That said this doesn't sound like a new issue.

You are going to find numerous members that are not fans of IObit anything. I don't have personal experience, I don't run any of this stuff.

Do you know when IObit runs? Can you match this to the time on the folder?

Unless another member has a fix I would recommend uninstalling this product. (just from what I've seen reading posts) your experience could be totally different.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 update keeps creating new user file folders

1. Win 10 update keeps creating new user file folders - Similar Threads - update keeps creating

2. A OneDrive folder keeps being created in my user file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A OneDrive folder keeps being created in my user file: A few months ago I was working for a company I'll call Company X. As a part of my work I saved documents to Company's X's OneDrive folder which I was connected to by having my email through Company X synced with my laptop. I no longer work for this company, have disconnected...
  3. Windows 10 update created a new user

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update created a new user: A few weeks ago the Windows 10 Automatic update created a new user profile on my PC. I was previously, "Paul" and the new profile is called "Paul.000". Almost every file has been moved to the new profile. I have had quite a few problems associated with this. Is Windows going...
  4. cannot create a new folder in Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot create a new folder in Win 10: I have not been able to create a folder in windows 10 for sometime now. need advice https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-create-a-new-folder-in-win-10/dcd0b5ba-62b3-40fc-8d87-7c77faac1f68
  5. Creating new files and folders

Creating new files and folders: Every time I try to make a new folder or save a new file windows will not allow me. When i try yo make a new folder the following appears. [ATTACH] When scanning a document I get this [ATTACH] and when i try to save a word document I get this [ATTACH] Other apps give...
  6. win 10 libraries denying creating a new folder

win 10 libraries denying creating a new folder: I created a new library called jobs. I want to be able to create new folders in the library, for my each of my various jobs. Every time I try to create a new folder it makes it as a subfolder in an existing folder. I used the manage library to relocate folders that were...
  7. Windows 10 update created a new user.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update created a new user.: I cant remember which specific windows update it was, but it created a identical user. The password is different to my main account, and windows always wants to load into that account instead of mine, saying that the username or password is incorrect. This is getting...
  8. Creating a New File Folder in Windows 10

Creating a New File Folder in Windows 10: After the recent update, I can't seem to create a new file folder. Normally I just right click on the display and new folder options appear with other options, but now it's missing? How do I get it done now?...…….....
  9. Error in Win 10 cannot create new folders

Error in Win 10 cannot create new folders: I use Windows 10 on my personal pc. A few months ago there was a sudden and unexplained change: I can no longer create new folders "Ctrl+Shift+N" does not work nor does right click on the mouse. Please explain why and how to I correct this fault Paul C...
  10. Wndows Keeps Creating User Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Wndows Keeps Creating User Folder: When I first did a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop, I moved my user 'Documents' folder to 'C:\DataFiles.' I have since created another partition and moved the 'Documents' folder to 'd:\DataFiles.' now even thpugh I delete 'c:\DataFiles' Windows contitues to re-create...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 is creating new user folders instead of using exisiting folders