Windows 10: Win 10 Update Messed Up My Settings; Tried To Customize, Now - BSOD

Discus and support Win 10 Update Messed Up My Settings; Tried To Customize, Now - BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I have to post this thread from my Win 7 machine because my regular Win 10 machine has the Black Screen Of Death, or at the very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by win10user1023, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Win 10 Update Messed Up My Settings; Tried To Customize, Now - BSOD

Hello Everyone,

I have to post this thread from my Win 7 machine because my regular Win 10 machine has the Black Screen Of Death, or at the very least it's unresponsive and I don't know how to proceed.

I allowed Microsoft to perform the latest Win 10 Update, which seems to have taken a long time. When the Update finished, I noticed that many of my settings had been changed -- mostly font issues. I have had this problem before and it drives me crazy because it's a real pain to get the original font settings restored.

I tried making some font changes thru Control Panel but didn't get a satisfactory fix, so I noticed a 'Customize' choice for the font (I think I chose 125%). When I proceeded I got a response which said I have to sign out first, so I continued -- that was my mistake! I ended up with a screen that had some kind of shoreline image looking out from a sea cave and asking me for what I think was a Password. I could not remember what my password (if any) was. After a few tries I got frustrated and did a Hard Shutdown. I tried powering up but now although the machine seems to be running I only get a black screen. I tried powering up many times using various Function keys (hoping to boot up into Safe Mode) but with no response.

This is very annoying and I do not have any other ideas. I need this Win 10 machine because I have a lot of stuff to do on it. Can someone please offer some thoughts?

Many Thanks.

Josef

:)

win10user1023, Dec 2, 2017
  2. Martyke Win User

It is asking for product key for windows 10 after performing Clean install?

We are having a similar problem. Win 7 upgrade through windows update messed machine up into a boot loop. Trying a custom install of win 10 now but do not have win 10 product key. Also no original copy of win 7 to revert back to. We do of course have that
    product key. Help!!!

Martyke, Dec 2, 2017
  3. how do I get to Safe Mode in Win 10?

Unfortunately, as soon as I get to sign in, my machine reboots. There is no way to get to SafeBoot. So I gave up and reinstalled Win 7, from which I have now upgraded to Win 10 - with the auto install. (The custom install returned me to BSOD, and more reboots.)

But I appreciate your follow up.

Glen A Goodale

Glen Goodale, Dec 2, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Win 10 Update Messed Up My Settings; Tried To Customize, Now - BSOD

What is the model of the pc?

axe0, Dec 3, 2017
  5. Hello axe0,

Thank you for your response. I have an Asus 64-bit machine.

win10user1023, Dec 3, 2017
  6. axe0 New Member
    Alright, but what's the model? What pc model did you purchase?

axe0, Dec 3, 2017
  7. As bad luck would have it, I can not find the receipt for the original purchase. I am sure I have it somewhere, but I can't find it. Looking at the tower, it indicates ASUS M52BC. Somehow I seem to recall that the precise model may be 'ASUS M52BC-US005S', but I am not totally sure.

I hope that this information can be useful to you in some way.

Thank you again for your continuing communication with me

8. axe0 New Member

Can you boot into the BIOS without issues?
    Do you have recovery media?

axe0, Dec 3, 2017
  9. No, I cannot boot into BIOS., and no I do not have recovery media. One of the first things I thought about trying was to try to boot into Safe Mode, but I can't get that far because every function key I try has no response. What happens is that the machine boots up into a black screen and goes no further. I know the machine is running because the power button is lit. The monitor seems to be 'On' and working. I almost wonder if the the machine might be in some sort of 'Sleep' state

10. axe0 New Member
    Sounds like the system can't get into the POST.
    Try the following
    • Remove all but 1 memory stick,
    • Remove all peripheral,
    • Remove all but 1 drive,
    • Remove the GPU
    See if you can boot.

11. Hello axe0,

What you suggested gave me an idea. Your list of things mentioned 'peripherals', which of course refers to external attachments. At one time I had 2 PCs connected to 1 monitor by an A-B switch. I had this Win 10 machine and an older Vista machine, both connected to 1 monitor. Around 1 year ago I was having problems with the the Vista machine so I disconnected it from the A-B switch. The Win 10 machine remained connected to the A-B switch. Your mention of 'peripherals' rang a bell so I decided to just connect everything directly to the Win 10 machine and try booting up. It worked!

Since the Vista machine is not being used I will just leave this setup as it is.

By the way, this whole problem started because I was trying to restore the font size of my email program (Thunderbird). I like my email program very much and the Win 10 update shrunk the font down. It seems to be ok now, however the program icons in the task bar seem just a little large. Do you know of a quick way I can bring down the size of these icons a little, without impacting my email program?

I want to thank you very much for moving me in the right direction and get my PC up and running.

Josef

win10user1023, Dec 4, 2017
  12. axe0 New Member
    Right click on the taskbar and choose Taskbar Settings, then check Use small taskbar button

13. Win 10 Update Messed Up My Settings; Tried To Customize, Now - BSOD

Thank you very much. Your help moved me in the right direction.

win10user1023, Dec 4, 2017
  14. axe0 New Member
    Good to hear your problem is solved *Smile

Thema:

1. Win 10 Update Messed Up My Settings; Tried To Customize, Now - BSOD - Similar Threads - Update Messed Settings

2. custom scaling messed up my display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    custom scaling messed up my display: I have some eyesight problems, and therefore I changed the custom scaling in win11 although not recommended and now my icons are very far apart and very small. How do I reset this?I tried to get back to original custom scaling and text size but it just gets worse !...
  3. custom scaling messed up my display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    custom scaling messed up my display: I have some eyesight problems, and therefore I changed the custom scaling in win11 although not recommended and now my icons are very far apart and very small. How do I reset this?I tried to get back to original custom scaling and text size but it just gets worse !...
  4. Tried to ash windows 10 to a usb stick and messed up my settings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried to ash windows 10 to a usb stick and messed up my settings.: A few weeks ago I tried flashing windows 10 to a usb stick so I could put it on a surface rt. The surface is too old to that, I know. In doing so I somehow messed up my driver settings (I think). I also can't restore from a previous version of Windows 10 so I have to update...
  5. Windows 10 update messed up my settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update messed up my settings: Today I was forced to update windows and the update ruined my settings. This is unacceptable. Please help me restore my computer to a useable state and not the mess of a state your update left it in. You should be ashamed....
  6. Windows 10 2004 update messed up with my settings.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 2004 update messed up with my settings.: After update, Windows 10 messed up with my settings. I reported it with Hub, but this is serious problem, that affects my usage. First it reseted some of my software/driver settings: nVidia driver settings Creative ZX sound card settings Kaspersky AV settings. Second,...
  7. Settings messed up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings messed up: My system settings reset for some reason and can’t restore them. This has caused me to not be able to connect to any WiFi, etc. I need help ASAP since i cant use my computer properly...
  8. Update Messed Up Settings & Software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Messed Up Settings & Software: My computer updated to build 17763 this morning. Upon restart, numerous settings were changed and all software now acts as if it has just been installed, resetting all settings in apps and even losing data! I am extremely miffed! Allowing a stable build update should NOT...
  9. My Monitor Settings Are Messed Up.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Monitor Settings Are Messed Up.: Split from this thread. My factory colors have changed and U can not see anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/my-monitor-settings-are-messed-up/8173aca1-3ee5-4ed2-b1f9-f5efc6b6a8be
  10. Upgraded to Windows 10, and now my desktop is now messed up.

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgraded to Windows 10, and now my desktop is now messed up.: I upgraded to windows 10, and after doing so, my desktop would flash and I wouldn't be able to open programs. I could open task manager and open programs through "run". I opened msconfig and disabled the services "Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support" and...