Windows 10: win 10 updates keep failing

Discus and support win 10 updates keep failing in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I just checked my update history (win 10 1703 64 bit) and I noticed that all update attempts during several months have failed. When I start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by esebm, Oct 22, 2017.

1. esebm Win User

win 10 updates keep failing

Hi,
    I just checked my update history (win 10 1703 64 bit) and I noticed that all update attempts during several months have failed.
    When I start updates manually the download always stops at 2%. I ran the troubleshooter, which detected a problem and fixed it and automatically started the download again in the background. Gets stuck again at 2%.
    What the heck is going on here?
    Thanks,
    Ed

:)

esebm, Oct 22, 2017

2. free upgrade

why does win 10 upgrade keep failing updates are set to install yet it still fails

stevemcinerney, Oct 22, 2017
  3. dgriff88 Win User
    windows 10 version 1703 problems

is there a problem with the win 10 ver 1703 download,mine keeps failing in the auto update

dgriff88, Oct 22, 2017
  4. win 10 updates keep failing

Hi esebm.

You may wish to Reset Windows Updates

Reset Windows Update in Windows 10

This will erase your existing history in the View installed updates history. Not that your system will down load successful updates, just the history log is reset.

Then try your updates again. Be patient, with the Fall Creators Update out there the servers are likely pretty busy.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 22, 2017
  5. esebm Win User
    Ken,
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I downloaded and ran the reset file, but, alas, it did not help.
    The KB890830 cumulative update still freezes at 2% and the update history was not erased.
    Ed

esebm, Oct 23, 2017
  6. Did you run as administrator? (Not you as an administrator, right click and run as administrator.)

Caledon Ken, Oct 23, 2017
  7. Sorry, and it challenged you with UAC and then you restarted computer. So you did this and your history is still present.

Would you mind doing this one more time?

Ken

8. esebm Win User

Well, I did it.
    This time around the update download was sitting at 0% for a good half hour before I cut it for the day.
    The update history was still there, going back to August, 99% were 'failed to install' messages.

esebm, Oct 23, 2017
  9. Have you run sfc /scannow ?

If that runs clean how do you feel about the Fall Creators Update.

This procedure is an in place repair / upgrade, hence the move to V1709. I always recommend backing up data?

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Ken

10. Bree New Member
    Just a thought, do you have metered connections turned on?

If I turn it on and check for updates it normally tries to start the download and sticks at around 2%. What it should do is then ask you if you want to download over a metered connection. It does so for Defender updates, but for some reason never does for cumulative updates. Turning off the metered connection let's it continue and complete the download and install. I had this behaviour in 1703.

11. esebm Win User
    Well yes, the metered connection was on. I've turned it off and it finally updated.
    But then, the pesky background traffic started again, basically freezing my office network completely. That was the main reason that I turned the metered network feature on in the first place.
    After the update I turned it on again, so next time I want to update I just temporarily turn it off.
    Thanks y'all for the help.
    Ed

esebm, Oct 23, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Windows Update is supposed to (and at one time did) stop and ask you to choose to let the update it had found download over a metered connection (whatever it was, defender definitions or cumulative updates). That got (really badly) broken in 1607 and has never worked quite right since.

Incidentally, that post was the one and only answer to this problem I could find anywhere on the web, and led to me to register on Hotel California TenForums just to say thanks - I've never been able to leave *Smile

Since then and on into 1703 Defender updates and some others started to trigger the 'Download' button appearing, but never (ever) for any Cumulative Update.

Now it's too early to tell for sure - but I could have sworn I saw a 'Download' button appear for a 1709 cumulative update. Difficult thing to test really, but it may just have been fixed - I look forward to testing this theory next 'Patch Tuesday'....

13. win 10 updates keep failing

Go into the Updates and security, then Advance Options, lower right hand side, then Delivery Optimization. You will see settings within and even another Advance Options. You can control bandwidth and data amount. (Might need to be on V1709)

You would have to go around to each and adjust.

That pesky background activity are updates being delivered to other devices. Sounds like a number of your devices within office are behind in updates.

14. biker66 Win User
    i notice that windows update appeared to stop downloading a couple of times. the solution seemed to be to close the windows update screen then go back into Settings > Update and it starts downloading again from where it left off. helps if you show the Wi-Fi status with amount of data being downloaded..

biker66, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. win 10 updates keep failing - Similar Threads - updates keep failing

2. upgrade win 7pro to win 10 keeps failing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade win 7pro to win 10 keeps failing.: I am attempting to upgrade a Toshiba C650 model PSC09C-15s01Q fro win7 pro to window 10. It goes through the whole download and install including applying updates. But it keeps failing and undoing all the changes it made.Error it is reporting is 0x8007001F 0x20006 The...
  3. upgrade win 7pro to win 10 keeps failing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade win 7pro to win 10 keeps failing.: I am attempting to upgrade a Toshiba C650 model PSC09C-15s01Q fro win7 pro to window 10. It goes through the whole download and install including applying updates. But it keeps failing and undoing all the changes it made.Error it is reporting is 0x8007001F 0x20006 The...
  4. upgrade win 7pro to win 10 keeps failing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Failed Win 10 update

Failed Win 10 update: I have latest Win 10 version21H2, 64 bit, but get 0x800700d error when try Win 10 updateKB 5016616. DISM.exe and Win 10 download install failed. Further help appreciated. Many thanks. Bob...
  6. Update 1909 for Win 10 keeps failing

Update 1909 for Win 10 keeps failing: Hi, Update 1909 for Win 10 keeps failing and says I need to "manually delete _PO_Vmware Workstation Pro No-Op" but I or "search" cannot find it. Please help! Thanks, Tony...
  7. WIN 10 Updates fail

WIN 10 Updates fail: I have two WIN 10 Updates that continually fail regardless if WIN Updater tries or when I download them from the catalogue and try to manually install. I keep getting error messages for two updates: 2020-10 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10...
  8. Win update keeps failing.

Win update keeps failing.: I have Winver 1803 I try update for months already every once in a while, when windows ask me to do it. At the first few times I didn't pay much of a attention, than lately I realized its always stops at 60% Since I realized the 60%, I always look. It's always on 60% The...
  9. win 10 keep trying to update and fails

win 10 keep trying to update and fails: I did the free update from win 7 to win 10. Everything works fine except about every 2 or 3 months win says I am m out of time and must update. I select now and it reboots a couple times and then stop at 100%. I have to reboot three times and it recycles back the 'old'...
  10. Win 10 updates keep failing KB3163207 and KB3152599

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 updates keep failing KB3163207 and KB3152599: Hello and thank you for your service. My system is Win 10 64-bit. During the update, I got the following errors: • Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3163207) - Error 0x8024001e • Update for Windows 10 Version...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2018-12 security update for adobe flash player for windows 10 version 1803 for x64-based systems (kb4471331) - error 0x80070015

2. win 10 flash player security update keeps failing

3. win 10 updates failing