Windows 10: Win 10 Upgrade from 7 Fails and Rolls back- Failed in FIRST_BOOT etc

Discus and support Win 10 Upgrade from 7 Fails and Rolls back- Failed in FIRST_BOOT etc in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I have tried (7) times to upgrade to Windows 10, including having Microsoft assist me remotely for (4) of them. All Win 7 updates are in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pwscott, Sep 3, 2015.

1. pwscott Win User

Win 10 Upgrade from 7 Fails and Rolls back- Failed in FIRST_BOOT etc

So I have tried (7) times to upgrade to Windows 10, including having Microsoft assist me remotely for (4) of them.
    All Win 7 updates are in place...I've removed Norton Security...

The Win 10 upgrade makes it all the way to the big circle on monitor counting from 0% to 50% or so, then it fails and fully rolls itself back every time to Win 7 with this same exact error:

Error: 0x80070004-0x3000D
    "Install failed in FIRST_BOOT phase with error during MIGRATE_DATA"

After a bunch of MSCONFIG turning stuff off, the last Microsoft tech came back and said he thinks I should install totally clean and give up all my software and reinstall. Easy for him to say, all the Adobe Creative Suite and so on would take such a long time to restore. I also have FSX and X-Plane with 100s of GBs of scenery and all... His assumption he said is that some of my 3rd party software is interfering with the data migration...he said it may be something that is integrated with the shell.

Anyway, I'd sure like to find a way to upgrade without doing a clean installation. Any thoughts? Am happy to post list of what I am running/programs etc.

Thanks for any help.

:)

pwscott, Sep 3, 2015

2. Windows 10 upgrade failed and get an error code 0xC1900101-0x3000D

Installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.

Are you upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8 or upgrading a build in Windows 10?

Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 3, 2015
  3. Getting error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 when upgrading to Windows 10 1709

When I try to upgrade to Windows 10, the installation fails and rolls back to my previous operating system with the error:

We couldn’t install Windows 10.

We’ve set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.

0xC1900101 - 0x30018

The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation

Pls. Help

MediaCitadel, Sep 3, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Hi and welcome to the forum! *Smile

There are a few other users with the same problem: 0x80070004-0x3000D "FIRST_BOOT phase" "MIGRATE_DATA" - Google Search I currently cannot tell, what exactly the problem might be for you, but the upgrade should leave upgrade log files in the Windows folder. Maybe they contain something helpful...

I know that installing those Adobe programs again (don't forget to deactivate them before!) would take a long time. You did not know that the upgrade would fail that way. However, if you had done a clean install directly, you most likely would have things installed again now. So maybe, looking at the time you have already invested and thinking that basically no one knows what is causing the problem, so: no one knows how much time this upgrade would still take if you tried again and again, taking this into account, installing from scratch could really be faster.

Joergi, Sep 3, 2015
  5. pwscott Win User
    My FSX (Microsoft Flight Sim) folder alone is ~94GB of scenery and aircraft to reload....it would suck to clean install this machine.

pwscott, Sep 3, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just a thought... Do you have over 50% hard drive space left free? My guess is that it is attempting to make a backup of all that data for rollback later and running out of space.

NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2015
  7. pwscott Win User
    I have 248GB free of 948GB. I think if that was the case, it would have to be fairly widely known by now.

pwscott, Sep 3, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

You would think so, but you aren't going to get an upgrade from what you have now. I would suggest a new hard drive, go through the process of getting a clean windows 10 install on it with the old hard drive disconnected. Then reconnect the old hard drive, set up dual booting, then slowly copy everything over.

When it's all done, you will have the added benefit of a backup of everything.

NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2015
  9. pwscott Win User
    Thanks, but no thanks. I already have a backup of everything of mine in the cloud. I solved my problem that the Microsoft tech could not by reading the post at this link:

To anyone getting the 0x80070004 - 0x3000d on install - WIN10 OS Forum - The AVSIM Community

Deleting that one file made the upgrade go through without a hitch! *Cool

pwscott, Sep 3, 2015
  10. Joergi Win User
    So deleting an ORBX file called "TODO" in the C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Orbx folder solved that issue.

Joergi, Sep 4, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Awesome! Glad it worked!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 Upgrade from 7 Fails and Rolls back- Failed in FIRST_BOOT etc - Similar Threads - Upgrade Fails Rolls

2. Windows 10 Upgrade failed FIRST_BOOT SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Upgrade failed FIRST_BOOT SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE: Hi, I'm currently running Windows 10 version 1809. I want to upgrade my laptop to the latest version however whenever I do so came across this error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation. My...
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade failed FIRST_BOOT SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade failed FIRST_BOOT SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE: Hi, I'm currently running Windows 10 version 1809. I want to upgrade my laptop to the latest version however whenever I do so came across this error 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation. My...
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade failed FIRST_BOOT SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Upgrade failed FIRST_BOOT SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE

Windows 10 Upgrade failed FIRST_BOOT SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE: Hi all,I currently want to upgrade a desktop pc running Windows 7 32 Bit to Windows 10 using the upgrade assistant. But the upgrade failed with the following error:0xC1900101 - 0x30018 failed in FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation.I have...
  6. win 7 to win 10 upgrade fails

win 7 to win 10 upgrade fails: I purchased the update from microsoft to upgrade my OS to win 10. After downloading the $139.00 software I trid to load it. It fails every time. I also ran process to clean windows update cache files and t tried again, and it still fails. How can I exchange the...
  7. Upgrade from win 7 to win 10 fails

Upgrade from win 7 to win 10 fails: I have tried upgrading my system from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. I downloaded the upgrade from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 The upgrade gets approximately 90 to 95 percent installed, and errors out. Now every time I get the...
  8. upgrading laptop from win 7 to win 10 migration fails

upgrading laptop from win 7 to win 10 migration fails: I have tried twice to uprade Lenovo thinkpad from win 7 to windows 10 but it fails migration. After purchasing windows 10 from Microsoft store I have downloaded windows 10 to a USB device just in case. the laptop has Norton active. Do I have to uninstall it or turn it...
  9. Upgrade from Win 7 to 10 fails with no error

Upgrade from Win 7 to 10 fails with no error: Hi guys I have been trying to upgrade 7pro for a day or so with no luck. First of all I tried the 'get windows 10 app' this tells me a update (KB2952664) is not installed. It was showing as failed in my update long but has since installed ok. However the app still says its...
  10. Windows 10 upgrade failing and restoring back win 7

Windows 10 upgrade failing and restoring back win 7: Upgrading a windows 7 32 bit desktop using a dvd to windows 10 failiing everytime it reaches 17%, restarts and begins restoring to previous version i.e windows 7. [img] [img] 100153
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 7 upgrade to windows 10 failed first Boot

2. windows 10 upgrade 90% then fails rolls back