Windows 10: Win 10 Upgrade Hang – Four Days and Counting

Discus and support Win 10 Upgrade Hang – Four Days and Counting in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I’m not sure how it happened, but my Windows 7 laptop started doing an upgrade to Win 10 four days ago, and it still seems to be in the process. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by savanna, Jun 12, 2016.

1. savanna Win User

Win 10 Upgrade Hang – Four Days and Counting

I’m not sure how it happened, but my Windows 7 laptop started doing an upgrade to Win 10 four days ago, and it still seems to be in the process. The hard drive light periodically flashes. Control/Alt/Delete does nothing. When I power down and try to power back up into safe mode it shows me the Win 10 windows logo and then continues the upgrade process never allowing me into safe mode. Any ideas on how I might be able to fix this?

:)

savanna, Jun 12, 2016
  2. H.Liang Win User

Activate Windows 10 (Error code: 0xC004C003)

I have this exact issue with my Surface Pro 3. WIn 8.1 -> In-place upgrade to Win 10 -> Clean install Win 10, twice. Both times, in-place upgrade successfully activated. After clean install, successfully activated. Both times, after 2 days or so, activation
    status revoked. Now 0xC004C003 with no relief after 3 days and counting ...

H.Liang, Jun 12, 2016
  3. ((Jim)) Win User
    Windows 10 hands intermittently on shut-down

After updating from Windows 8 to 10 the machine seems to hang when shutting down with a message something like, "Please don't turn off or unplug your computer while Windows does ....". The computer is run every day and it hangs about one out of three or
    four shut downs. It is still hung a day later. A cold re-boot usually restores operation (permitting another shut down attempt) but sometimes has to be repeated. This problem does not occur on a second Win 10 PC with identical hardware (2 year old HP,10
    GB Ram, 3.6 GHz Intel CPU, factory installed 250 GB SST). Before the Win 10 upgrade there was another issue that could be related: about one time in ten the machine would hang on boot-up with a" blue screen of death"; a cold re-boot almost always solved that
    issue. That particular issue has not re-occurred with Win 10. Windows Troubleshooter can find no problems and the machine seems to work normally in other respects. All suggestions gratefully received.

((Jim)), Jun 12, 2016
  4. Win 10 Upgrade Hang – Four Days and Counting

Turn it off, unplug it, and remove the battery. Hold the Start Button down for one minute, and then put it back together and turn it on. If that doesn't get you back into 7, it's possible that you have had a hardware failure.

Vince Massi, Jun 12, 2016
  5. savanna Win User
    No, that didn't work. It still boots back into the Win 10 upgrade. Are there any other ideas that I can try?

savanna, Jun 12, 2016
  6. Savanna, if removing all power (including the battery) didn't stop it, then it appears that Windows 10 is installed on your rig, and now it is locked up in either activation or upgrades. You mentioned that the Win 10 logo appears, so that's probably the case.

When the Win 10 logo screen appears, does anything else appear with it?

Vince Massi, Jun 12, 2016
  7. savanna Win User
    The dots that trace a circular pattern come up underneath the Win 10 logo, which I think means that something is in process. That holds for a bit and then the screen goes black, but the hard drive ligh flashes periodically.

savanna, Jun 12, 2016
  8. Win 10 Upgrade Hang – Four Days and Counting

Savannah, the circling dots indicate that Windows 10 is installed and is trying to start up. Your rig MIGHT be able to go into Safe Mode the same way that it did in Windows 7. If you don't remember, try restarting while repeatedly tap;ping F8.

Also, can you give us the model number of your computer?

Vince Massi, Jun 13, 2016
  9. savanna Win User
    I've tried to boot into safe mode several times and it won't take. It keeps going to the Win 10 icon with the circling dots. I have a Dell Inspiron N5050 laptop.

savanna, Jun 13, 2016
  10. Okay, you're not going to like this. Your machine is not designed to be upgraded to Windows 10 Product Support | Dell US

You need to beg or borrow any legal copy of Windows--it doesn't have to be Windows 7. Put it into your DVD drive and turn off your machine. Turn it back on, and it should boot from the DVD. Use that to get into the repair menu. Use that to go back to 7.

If you can't get hold of one, you need to go to a computer shop and they can restore it to Windows 7.

Savannah, I'm sorry that this happened to you. Laptops are more finicky than desktops, and your laptop just wasn't up to the task.

11. savanna Win User
    I was able to find a set of Recovery Discs. Once booted it offers me a number of options. The one that I think I want is "Restore computer and preserve my new or changed files (recommended)". Is this correct? Otherwise I was also able to find a Windows XP Reinstallation CD with a product key.

savanna, Jun 13, 2016
  12. Savannah, go for it. That option SHOULD get you back to 7 with all or most of your old files and programs.

13. savanna Win User

I'm back up and running in Win 7. I have to reinstall all the programs, which means that I must have made the recovery discs shortly after purchase. Can I assume that there aren't any Win 10 installation files that I should be concerned about? Is there any way for me to prevent Win 10 from accidentally installing again? Is there a way to block it permanently? Thank you so much for all your help.

savanna, Jun 15, 2016
  14. Since you re-installed from your recovery disks, no Windows 10 programs survived.

MS tricks people into upgrading to 10. You can turn off automatic updates and then install them manually, making sure that you don't install 10. Remember that if you are asked to upgrade to 10, clicking the X in the top right corner means that you have agreed.

Vince Massi, Jun 15, 2016
  15. savanna Win User
    OK - thank you very much Vince! I sincerely appreciate all your help.

savanna, Jun 15, 2016
Thema:

1. Win 10 Upgrade Hang – Four Days and Counting - Similar Threads - Upgrade Hang –

2. Four Crashes in Four Days - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Four Crashes in Four Days - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: Here is what I have tried so far: - Switched out one of my sticks of RAM. In the process of switching out second one. - Ran three Memory Diagnostic Scans. All came back with no errors. I am just unsure of what to do at this point. Things I read online is that sometimes...
  3. Four Different BSODs in two days

Four Different BSODs in two days: This is certainly alarming to me. I've had four different BSOD errors in the last two days: Code: 12/7/2019 21:10 KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 12/7/2019 10:07 ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY 12/6/2019 19:33 MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 12/6/2019 8:18 (For some reason BlueScreenView...
  4. Win 10 Pro - hanging

Win 10 Pro - hanging: What is the next step... I've updated/clean/deleted virus detection it still hangs up... any suggestions please... Thanks Ed The program EmbroideryWarePC.exe version 3.4.1.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is...
  5. printer hanging after win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer hanging after win 10 upgrade: Just upgraded to windows 10. When I print to a laser printer in an application, the printer prints fine but afterwards, the circle of death remains and my screen is hung it doesnt return control to user. I have to close/restart my app. The app worked perfectly before Win 10....
  6. Constantly Crashing (at least four times/day)

Constantly Crashing (at least four times/day): Hi all, My system has been crashing consistently over the last few weeks. I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or a software one. I've tested all my RAM sticks and received no errors. Windows updated to anniversary edition last night and since then, the PC has crashed...
  7. Upgraded Win 10 Computer constantly hangs on boot.

Upgraded Win 10 Computer constantly hangs on boot.: I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 recently. About 90% of boots, my laptop will hang a and produce a BSOD. Initially, the BSODs were typically "system thread exception not handled" and "pfn list corrupt". A restart would solve the issue. However, after the...
  8. Three whole days on Win 10 upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Three whole days on Win 10 upgrade.: Well God bless Microsoft I now have Windows 10 was in the process of downloading & burning new ISO in English us as the uk one did not work accidently clicked on windows app while setting up game on wife's old xp m/c like I am an old fart in my 70's & thought bugger it I am...
  9. MSMedia Creation tool hangs after successful upgrade of Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MSMedia Creation tool hangs after successful upgrade of Win 10: Upgrade went OK, went back a few days later to download the ISO, ran media creation tool and made all my chorces, english,win 10 pro,x64 bit, selected iso and place to save file. then blue screen comes up and programs states, "getting a few things ready" and that's it,...
  10. Microsoft Ignite 2016: Counting down the days!

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Ignite 2016: Counting down the days!: With just a few weeks to go until Microsoft Ignite 2016, the energy is really building; in the industry, at Microsoft, and hopefully for you! Microsoft Ignite is sold out, so for the fortunate 20 thousand plus people who will be there, I look forward to seeing you in person....