Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade killed my PC

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade killed my PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Two days ago, a Win 10 upgrade occurred and my Dell Studio will not boot. Macrium Reflect got me to the DOS prompts and most files seem to be there.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Will DavidMitchell, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Win 10 upgrade killed my PC

Two days ago, a Win 10 upgrade occurred and my Dell Studio will not boot. Macrium Reflect got me to the DOS prompts and most files seem to be there.

I backed them up to a 4TB Seagate external drive.

Microsoft acknowledges that they shot my PC with a mandatory Win 10 upgrade but declined to help me, other than reformatting everything and installing Win-7, and charging me.

About six times, they declined to help, once in person at a Microsoft store.

The store guy tried to sell me a new 1TB hard drive to replace the two nearly-full 2TB drives in the PC. I don't know how 3.3TB can squeeze into a 1TB drive.

There is an irreplaceable Application to keep. Its company has gone out of business and I'd need a registration key from them to restore or move it.

I'm hoping someone here can assist.

I bought and Microsoft installed Win 10 Pro on my machine remotely and the PC ran fine for about a year until two days ago. As part of that process, they left an ISO on the desktop and a backup of the registry. They did the same on a Lenovo PC. They were LANning the PCs for me.

Is there a way I can use either ISO to restore Win-10 to my PC?

Thanks,
    Will

:)

Will DavidMitchell, Aug 18, 2018

2. Win 10 randomly kills games

Hi Laurynas,

To help you with your issue, we suggest you refer to the links below to get information about compatible games with Windows 10, and troubleshooting steps for crashing game issues:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Aug 18, 2018
  3. Windows 10 killed my pc!

Hi Mike,

From the information you have provided, we're not sure if Windows logged in successfully after the upgrade. If Windows had gone to a black screen even before logging in to your user profile, we would have access to limited tools to troubleshoot this issue.
    So I would suggest you try these steps and check if they help:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
      • If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps (dism, then sfc), and run the all apps PowerShell command in

• If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of the customer’s choosing):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add
    • This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

If the above steps didn't help, then I would suggest you try the following steps and check:

• Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:
      • To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.
    • Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.
      • Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Bennet Martin, Aug 18, 2018
  4. AddRAM Win User

Win 10 upgrade killed my PC

win 10 upgrade asking for product key

Just try it through Windows update, you shouldn`t have any issues.

Excellent question Navy, that`s probabaly why. If not then, as suggested, just use the Media Creation Tool and choose upgrade this PC in Step 3.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

AddRAM, Aug 18, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 upgrade killed my PC

1. Win 10 upgrade killed my PC - Similar Threads - upgrade killed

2. Windows 11 upgrade killed my touch screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade killed my touch screen: Touch screen is gone after getting windows 11I have a Lenovo yoga c940-14IIL PC, which does have a touch screen + stylus. Before getting windows 11, I have used it, so I know it is there. Now, I got windows 11 a few months ago, and I haven't used the touch screen in that...
  3. Windows 11 upgrade killed my touch screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade killed my touch screen: Touch screen is gone after getting windows 11I have a Lenovo yoga c940-14IIL PC, which does have a touch screen + stylus. Before getting windows 11, I have used it, so I know it is there. Now, I got windows 11 a few months ago, and I haven't used the touch screen in that...
  4. windows 10 may upgrade kills image on monitors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 may upgrade kills image on monitors: Upgraded to May 2020 refresh of Windows 10 after second announcement of its availability became solid on Windows upgrade. The first upgrade did not work at all and I thought that this new one would. Compared to the first upgrade it did in that it completed perfectly. BUT...
  5. Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 kills off Audio. Manufacturer drivers useless.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 kills off Audio. Manufacturer drivers useless.: So. I know a thread exists about this. I've seen it. If you're here just for the upgrade issue, then this one is your solution; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-after-window-10-installation/dde20cf9-badf-4522-9102-1f2f1c96f1ca?page=1...
  6. Windows 10 free upgrade kills Toshiba Blu-ray player

Windows 10 free upgrade kills Toshiba Blu-ray player: I'm looking for a fix for my Toshiba Blu-ray player (Matshita BD-CMB UJ172). It stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10. It will start, but will not play Blu ray or DVD disc . I'm not able to locate a new driver or firmware for the player. Toshiba Satellite P70-A...
  7. Forced windows 10 upgrade has killed two HDD's

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Forced windows 10 upgrade has killed two HDD's: Hi, I was using Macrium Reflect to clone a HDD when windows update shut down and updated the computer half was through the disk clone. I now cannot read the mechanical drive nor the brand new SSD that I was cloning to. Do you have a compensation program for people who...
  8. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro has killed my local admin account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro has killed my local admin account?: Hi Guys n Gals, I have just upgraded to Win 10 pro from Win 7 Pro and immediately I have encountered an issue. On the initial startup it asked me for my Live/Hotmail credentials which I duly submitted and since then when I start my laptop it asks for my Live password....
  9. Upgrade Killed My Sound !

Upgrade Killed My Sound !: I just ran that Windows Upgrade thing on my system disk to see if it would fix a problem I've got. It didn't. And now there's no sound at all. It's win10, of course and the mobo is an Asus H170 pro using the onboard sound. What do you think? Ive got to go back to...
  10. can I go back to 8 or did upgrading to 10 kill my 8 key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can I go back to 8 or did upgrading to 10 kill my 8 key?: also can I do it from my hard drive like with 10 or does 8 need something external I forget 78640