Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade seems to have crashed SSD

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade seems to have crashed SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All, My Toshiba Tecra W50 was running fine on Windows 7. Regrettably, I overlooked disabling the popup which automatically scheduled and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Budward, May 19, 2016.

1. Budward Win User

Win 10 upgrade seems to have crashed SSD

Hello All,

My Toshiba Tecra W50 was running fine on Windows 7. Regrettably, I overlooked disabling the popup which automatically scheduled and performed the upgrade to 10.

While just exploring a bit to decide whether to keep 10 or use the Settings app to return to 7, I started getting "drive failure imminent" messages. Having just gotten the PC back from Toshiba for a repair of the SSD, it seemed a huge coincidence that the drive might actually be failing immediately after the first Win 10 boot.

Thinking that 10 was the error, I decided to downgrade back to 7. That process seemed to proceed to completion, but now the computer won't boot.

On power-up, you get the familiar "Starting Windows" flash screen, then it goes to a text screen that says Windows failed to load and gives you the option to run a startup fix. Clicking that, after a short delay, leads to a message that says it can't fix it.

I'm stuck. Where do I go from here?

I'm happy to provide more specifics - the above is just to lay out the problem.

Thanks in advance to all. I'll be searching and reading messages until I hear from you.

Buddy

:)

Budward, May 19, 2016
  2. gurglamei Win User

SSD crash during win 10 upgrade - how to procede with new SSD?

I had win 8.1 upgrade on a SSD and accepted to upgrade again to win 10.

The upgrade started and later crashed during a restart. I am totally unable to boot from the SSD.

(In an other PC it shows up in disk management, but it can not be accessed or initialized - it´s simply toast)

I now have a new SSD replacement and wonder how to proceed?

Do I have to reinstall WIN 8.1 and then try the upgrade again, or can I downloaded an iso of win 10 and do a clean install?

I know that a clean install normally requires that an upgrade is done first. However, what about now when the upgrade is initiated but not complete?

gurglamei, May 19, 2016
  3. Migrating to a new SSD from crashed drive & Installing Win 10

Hi,

My HDD - Win 10 upgraded from Win 7 - crashed recently. I want to upgrade to an SSD and do a clean install of Win 10.

What is the easiest procedure for the same? Also which product key do I use? - Currently I have access only to the original Win 7 key.

Thanks

ArunKrishnaPillai, May 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

A clean install of Windows (either 7 or 10) would probably be your best bet to permanently fix the problems.

NavyLCDR, May 19, 2016
  5. Budward Win User
    Well, sure. Although I don't have any way to do a clean 10 install, and at this point don't really want to even start reopening that can of worms. Just want to get back to 7 and get back to work.

I'm hoping someone knows a way to get going without starting over from scratch. There's a lot of time invested in this computer that I'd sure like to avoid redoing.

Budward, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 upgrade seems to have crashed SSD - Similar Threads - upgrade seems crashed

2. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  3. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.: MY BIOS IS 5.15 WITH NO TPM AVAILABILITY. TO GO UP TO WIN 11 I NEED TO UPGRADE THE BIOS, HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN HP SAY THERE IS NO UPDATE AVAILABLE ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-upgraded-win7-to-win-10/10459ef3-077a-42cf-8a7f-e674fc436341
  4. HAVE UPGRADED WIN7 TO WIN 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgraded Win 11 crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded Win 11 crashes: I have Dell Inspiron 5570. Recently, Windows offered an upgrade to Windows 11. I opted for that. It worked fine for two weeks. Now it crashes within 10-15 minutes of booting. Every time either blue or green screen of death gives different reason. Windows ver 21H2 OS Build...
  6. Upgraded Win 11 crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded Win 11 crashes: I have Dell Inspiron 5570. Recently, Windows offered an upgrade to Windows 11. I opted for that. It worked fine for two weeks. Now it crashes within 10-15 minutes of booting. Every time either blue or green screen of death gives different reason. Windows ver 21H2 OS Build...
  7. Trying to upgrade Win Vista to Win 10 but having issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to upgrade Win Vista to Win 10 but having issues: Hi All, I have Windows Vista home premium, 4 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.00GHz processor. Bought Win 10 Pro Download version online. Dowloaded 32 bit iso. Extracted and trying to run setup but getting error - "windows installation cannot be started from the current...
  8. Win 10 doesn't recognize SSD , have a question.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 doesn't recognize SSD , have a question.: When i go to disk management all i see is NTFS file system , my SSD no longer shows , is this normal ? 17490
  9. SSD seems to have failed completely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD seems to have failed completely: Microsoft has streamlined activation over the years, your hardware is the 'key' now. In fact, if an OEM PC was built and supplied with W8 or W10 a product key would have been embedded in the firmware. If so, Setup should read this and not even bother to ask if you want to...
  10. I seem to have problems every time I upgrade to win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    I seem to have problems every time I upgrade to win 10: I've installed 10 a few different times since it launched and I always seem to have problems. The first time I installed it, I ended up having to do a factory restore because my pc would lock up each time I would have to restart. That locking up crap during a restart has...