Windows 10: Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.

Discus and support Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I upgraded my Dell Insperion from Win 7-64 to Win 10 home 64, and it no longer sees my 2nd internal hard drive. I tried a scan in device manager but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CannonRebel, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.

I upgraded my Dell Insperion from Win 7-64 to Win 10 home 64, and it no longer sees my 2nd internal hard drive. I tried a scan in device manager but it did not help. Any advice?

:)

CannonRebel, Nov 7, 2017
  2. AzGenes Win User

Win 10 and external solid state drive incompatable

Since upgrade to Win-10 I can no longer backup files to external Hitachi and Western Dig. External drives. On two HP and Acer 64bit machines.

deleted the old external usb drivers, rebooted, still won't recognize. Tried the win-10 backup software, but it doesn't recognize the drives are there.

open to suggestion. Only assist I could see by Microsoft is info on Win7/8

AzGenes, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Windows no longer recognizes second internal hard drive

Why is it both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 no longer recognize a second internal hard drive?

Previously in both my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 PC’s, I had an internal second drive connected in each PC and both worked quite well. In the case of the Windows 8.1 PC, I used to use the second internal drive to do system image backups and the second
    internal hard drive in the Windows 10 PC as a File History drive.

But now, in both PC’s, the internal second drives are no longer being recognized. Both File History and System Image backup now only work when drives are connected externally.

If the second hard drives are connected internally, this error message comes up : "Operating system not found" on the Windows 8.1 PC and "no usable hard drives found" for File History on the Windows 10 PC.

Surely that should not be the case? What could be the cause?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

graham2014, Nov 7, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.

Hi there. Is it recognized in > Hold Windows key then press x > Choose Disk Management?

It may report it needs to be initialized. If so, please report that first. Do not perform yet.

Did you make a backup before upgrade by any chance?

Tony K, Nov 7, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    There are 4 methods to identify the internal drive and the first 3 depend on functioning Windows operating system:
    1) disk management
    2) device manager > disk drives
    3) file explorer > this PC
    4) BIOS
    If you do not see the drive using steps 1 - 3 using windows check the bios to see if the drive is identified.

Run the Dell diagnostics on you computer and post images of the result into the thread:

DELL hardware testing: Resolve Hardware Issues With Built-in and Online Diagnostics (ePSA or PSA Error Codes) | Dell US

Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

zbook, Nov 7, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    As stated, Restart the computer and press F2 to enter Setup (Bios) Here, on the left panel under System Information and Hard Disk Drives, it should show your secondary drive. If it is not listed in the Bios, then it won't show up anywhere else. Be sure the drive data cable is plugged in tightly to the back of the drive and into the Motherboard. Make sure the Power Plug from the PSU is plugged in tightly. Put your Ear next to the drive in question when you start it up, does it sound like it's spinning up or is it cold, no power? If the later it has failed. You can try replacing the data cable and try a different power plug.
    If the drive is listed in the Bios, then boot into Windows. Press the Win key+X and choose Disk Management. In the lower pane, on the left panel, under Disk # does it say your drive is Not Initialized? or in the right panel, does it say your drive is Unallocated Space?

spunk, Nov 9, 2017
  7. I found a simple solution. The Dell BIOS system needed to be updated after the windows 10 installation. Dell has a "detector" to download, it scans then takes you back to Dells web site and shows you which updates you need. Just click download and install. The whole thing took 10 minutes and now I have both drives showing again. Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

CannonRebel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive.

1. Win 10 upgrade will no longer recognize 2nd internal drive. - Similar Threads - upgrade longer recognize

2. USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11: Hi all - It seems that somewhen in the last week or so my primary desktop has chosen to no longer recognize USB storage devices. Any of them. They all work just dandy on my Win10 laptop, but my Win11 desktop has just spontaneously decided that it doesn't like USB drives....
  3. USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB drives no longer recognized by Win 11: Hi all - It seems that somewhen in the last week or so my primary desktop has chosen to no longer recognize USB storage devices. Any of them. They all work just dandy on my Win10 laptop, but my Win11 desktop has just spontaneously decided that it doesn't like USB drives....
  4. Win 10 - Internal notebook camera sometimes not recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 - Internal notebook camera sometimes not recognized: Hey, so my internal notebook camera is very often not recognized. When I reboot Windows it always works flawlessly. So at some point if I only knew what triggers this it stops being recognized. This is extremely annoying when I have a lot of programs open and need to close...
  5. Win 10 - Internal notebook camera sometimes not recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 - Internal notebook camera sometimes not recognized: Hey, so my internal notebook camera is very often not recognized. When I reboot Windows it always works flawlessly. So at some point if I only knew what triggers this it stops being recognized. This is extremely annoying when I have a lot of programs open and need to close...
  6. Win 10 - Internal notebook camera sometimes not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Effing Win 10 "upgrade" from Win 7 does not recognize an internal hard drive

Effing Win 10 "upgrade" from Win 7 does not recognize an internal hard drive: Just "upgraded" and that term hardly fits to Win 10 from 7, and now my computer does not recognize an 8TB internally mounted hard drive. What's the fix? Tried MiniTool partition wizard free version, and it can't even find the drive. Thanks again for all you do to make life...
  8. New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New computer build. 2nd hard drive not recognized by win 10: My motherboard bios recognizes the second drive and device manager shows the drive. File manager does not. Disk Management does not show the drive. The drive is a Western Digital drive. Their Lifeguard program says the drive is working properly. It is a new drive. Presumably...
  9. Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive: I was replacing My son' old computer and I decided to remove the HD and put it into my case for extra storage/back-up. When I start or restart the computer I get a screen I have never seen before on this computer. It is the American Maegtrends bios screen I believe. I've seen...
  10. Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.: I just upgraded to Windows 10 as I planned to use the weekend to sort out any issues I might encounter during the upgrade. Well boy did I ever. My Seagate 3TB drive decided it no longer wanted to be recognized by Windows anymore. It shows up as a failed/deactivated drive in...