Windows 10: Win 10 Upgrade

Discus and support Win 10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am running Win 7 64 pro and want to upgrade to Win 10, but retain my Win 7 install. Can I clone my Win 7 installation to a clean HDD, boot from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by urikid, Mar 14, 2016.

1. urikid Win User

Win 10 Upgrade

I am running Win 7 64 pro and want to upgrade to Win 10, but retain my Win 7 install.

Can I clone my Win 7 installation to a clean HDD, boot from the cloned Win 7 HDD and install Win 10 ?

:)

urikid, Mar 14, 2016
  2. win 10 Win User

Settings Icon Appeared Then Disappeared on Desktop By Itself

Totally irrelevant! Do you even read the context of the post???

win 10, Mar 14, 2016
  3. win 10 Win User
    Settings Icon Appeared Then Disappeared on Desktop By Itself

Windows 10 Pro / A settings icon appeared on my desktop all by itself last night. When I clicked on it, it was a list like in previous versions of Windows. It even let me choose sized in upper right corner. This morning 8-16-2015 the settings icon on desktop
    is gone all by itself.

win 10, Mar 14, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Win 10 Upgrade

It violates the EULA (End Users License Agreement) to do so. You have one license for Windows and that means one installation of Windows installed and activated at a time.

NavyLCDR, Mar 14, 2016
  5. urikid Win User
    Thanks NavyLCDR... for confirming what I believed to be true.

My quandry is:

I purchased a Win 7 Pro 64 machine, used, with the operating system already installed.
    Before I bought the machine I checked the activation status and it shows that windows is activated and the windows 10 'upgrade icon' is displayed in the sys tray, so I bought the machine, thinking all is cool and everything should be good to go for Win 10 upgrade, but just to make sure before plunging into the upgrade I ran slmgr /dlv to see what it thought about the licensing - guess what?? - the license is a 'volume_MAK' license - but the status shows it is activated.

I'm not into piracy, but really don't want to spring for a new product key if the upgrade will work the way it is.

Do you know what MS checks before displaying the Win 10 upgrade icon? Can I assume because it is currently activated that it will upgrade ok, or should I bite the bullet and get a new product key??

Appreciate any advice from anyone!

urikid, Mar 15, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You already have a pirated and illegal copy of Windows 7 installed. If the Windows 10 upgrade did activate it would also be a pirated and illegal copy of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Win 10 Upgrade

1. Win 10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Upgrade

2. can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?: i have a windows 8.1 fully updated since I manualaly installed the most recent update and I have the requirements to upgrade to windows 10 so i run the media creation tool and do the windows 10 install process but right when it fully finishes it says undoing changes i was...
  3. can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?: i have a windows 8.1 fully updated since I manualaly installed the most recent update and I have the requirements to upgrade to windows 10 so i run the media creation tool and do the windows 10 install process but right when it fully finishes it says undoing changes i was...
  4. can someone help me upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU: So i just upgrade from ryzen 5 3400G to ryzen 5 5500, before i replace the CPU i updated the BIOS. at first boot it works perfectly fine and suddenly the pc restart itself with no BSOD, i try to find out the problem using the event viewer but the only critical error is...
  6. PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU

PC keep restarting after BIOS update and upgrade CPU: So i just upgrade from ryzen 5 3400G to ryzen 5 5500, before i replace the CPU i updated the BIOS. at first boot it works perfectly fine and suddenly the pc restart itself with no BSOD, i try to find out the problem using the event viewer but the only critical error is...
  7. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  8. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade: Dear Team,I have my SSD with windows 10 installed on it and due to old computer setup it's not able to upgrade to windows 11.I've brought a new computer and still want to still using my old SSD and keep all my file and outlook.Is that anyways I could just plug and select the...
  9. Using my old SSD with Windows 10 on it and move to new computer to get windows upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade: Hi everyone,I work for an MSP and I have a managed customer who needs a few existing PC's upgraded from Windows 11 Home to Pro.I've done this before with the method of putting in a company Microsoft account with a company credit card to purchase the upgrade from right inside...