Windows 10: Win 10 Upgrading: Collection of problems and fixes

Discus and support Win 10 Upgrading: Collection of problems and fixes in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I was happily running my win 8.1 and... i was so curious to try win10, waited september and there started my odissey... I wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PowerDrome, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Win 10 Upgrading: Collection of problems and fixes

Hello everyone,
    I was happily running my win 8.1 and... i was so curious to try win10, waited september and there started my odissey...
    I wanted to share with you a lot of problems i had with upgrading from 8.1 to win10 with solutions i found on the internet and by myself.
    I felt the new OS so slow and buggy, so now i decided to give it a last try with a clean install; i still have problems but i will ask for solutions in other threads.

Now here we go with the fixes collection:

1. Num Lock ON at logon screen:
    i like it to be ON so the registry key to change it is:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard (set it to: 2147483650)

2. Airplane Mode OSD not showing:
    seems a bug, you just have to set volume up or down, the airplane OSD will work (everytime you restart)

3. Suspend Mode stopped:
    Tweaking and updating drivers, boot etc suddenly the suspend mode stopped working; when i suspend the PC it actully stops.
    This is a peculiar fix for Asus users maybe, i tried to update the BIOS but it was already updated to last FW (conatcted Asus support, i was waiting for them to get my laptop for assistence...) then i tried to FORCE update the BIOS FW, running the winflash utility from a command prompt with /nodate parameter, it refreshed the BIOS and it worked fine.

4. Search results not showing *.exe files:
    pushing the start button and using the new cortana search doesn't give good results searching for *.exe; the best solution by now is to use the old "search everywhere" function.
    To do this we have to create a new shortcut:
    %windir%\system32\rundll32.exe -sta {C90FB8CA-3295-4462-A721-2935E83694BA}
    change the icon if you like and put it on the taskbar, i also added a keyboard shortcut

5. Fast access (stucked folder, doesn't reset, etc...):
    check this by BRINK:
    Jump Lists - Reset and Clear All Items - Windows 7 Help Forums

6. Double Explorer Windows:
    when i open an explorer window from task manager (open file location), the windows that opens, reopens automatically when closed.
    Solved deselecting "Run folder window in a separate process" in Folder Options

7. Cortana Settings and Search error:
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action."
    This was driving me crazy, tried everything, the solutions was simplier than i thought.
    I use Wise registry cleaner, it deleted a file association that is not possible to recreate.
    I saved a *.reg file that will restore that file association:
    REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ms-cortana\shell\open\command]
    "DelegateExecute"="{24AC8F2B-4D4A-4C17-9607-6A4B14068F97}"

8. Personalize Themes (mouse, icons, sounds), error rundll32.exe...
    Trying to customize them i get that error, solution:
    Open gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor)
    Browse to Computer Configuration-Windows Settings-Security Settings -Local Policies-Security Options
    Enable “User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account”, (*disabled)
    Restart workstation
    Solution Through registry:
    Open regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Policies\System
    EnableLUA is set to1
    Restart workstation
    That should solve otherwise tweak also these entries:
    GPEdit.msc > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options >
    1. User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode = Elevate without prompting (*richiedi con file binari)
    2. User Account Control: Run All Administrators in Admin Approval Mode = ENABLED*
    3. User Account Control: Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop = ENABLED (*disabled)
    *=default value

Fighting with those bugs i also found these commands that you have to run from cmd, they didn't helped me with my problems; I write them down for reference:
    Command 1: dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
    Command 2: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Command 3: sfc /scannow

Hope that Microsoft will enjoy this debugging work from us...
    If you have any questions or suggestion or something to add or correct, please tell me.

I will ask the help of the forum for other problems I'm encountering now even with a clean installation, but i'm seriously thinking of restoring my win8.1 image

PS:
    I run a different Language of windows, so i excuse myself if you have difficulties finding the right commands

:)

PowerDrome, Oct 9, 2015

2. Windows hangs while upgrading to Windows 10

win 10 upgrade hangs at collecting upgrades

Original title: win 10 upgrade

Arshadchughtai, Oct 9, 2015
  3. after win 10 upgradei got new pics.

the pictures are in the photos section under the collections tab, I counted 126 pictures that I know I didn't have on my pc before the win 10 upgrade, they can be deleted no problem I just want to know where they came from and why they were put on my pc
    during my win 10 upgrade.

rickyroberts, Oct 9, 2015
  4. Win 10 Upgrading: Collection of problems and fixes

Anybody found the same problems?

PowerDrome, Oct 12, 2015
Thema:

Win 10 Upgrading: Collection of problems and fixes

1. Win 10 Upgrading: Collection of problems and fixes - Similar Threads - Upgrading Collection problems

2. Win 10 Upgrade problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Upgrade problem: Hello ,I have a problem with the upgrade of windows 10 from installation media of windows 10. First, It takes almost 5 minutes to install:Whenever I, install windows 10 then it always stuck my processor and in the screen it is written "Working on updates":After, a lot of...
  3. Win 10 Upgrade problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Upgrade problem: Hello ,I have a problem with the upgrade of windows 10 from installation media of windows 10. First, It takes almost 5 minutes to install:Whenever I, install windows 10 then it always stuck my processor and in the screen it is written "Working on updates":After, a lot of...
  4. Win 10 Upgrade problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading to win 10 causing problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    Upgrading to win 10 causing problems: Having upgraded from win 7 to win 10 caused a number of problems most of which have been solved though. However, one particular problem resists any attemps to be loosed. I cannot open photos and or videos from my facebook friends any more. I keep getting this message:...
  6. Win 10 upgrade problem

Win 10 upgrade problem: I went to upgrade Windows 7 on my Dell desktop utilizing Activation Key and got this error before I had a chance to enter the key. This is the error code 0xc1900101-0x20017...
  7. Upgrade Win 7 to 10; Troubleshooter can't fix problems

Upgrade Win 7 to 10; Troubleshooter can't fix problems: The upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 fails and it falls back to original. I ran the windows upgrade troubleshooter and it fixed a couple of problems but could not fix all. The upgrade failed again after I ran the troubleshooter. The upgrade gets to 27% then falls back to Win 7...
  8. Win 7 Win 10 upgrade problem.

Win 7 Win 10 upgrade problem.: When I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 in 2016 everything worked OK but I couldn't type in the search field for Edge or Cortina. I couldn't find a solution online before the back out period expired so I backed out of the update. I have continued using Win 7 since then. I would...
  9. Outlook 2010 problem with Win 10 upgrade

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2010 problem with Win 10 upgrade: I have just upgraded to Windows 10 and I've hit a problem with Outlook in Office 2010. The installation of Office 2010 carried over from Win 7, and Outlook is working, but it keeps on trying to install "ProPlusWW.msi" which it says it cannot find and asks me to locate it. I...
  10. was win 7 upgraded to win 10 but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!!

was win 7 upgraded to win 10 but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!!: I upgraded win 7 home to win 10... a dell notebook i5 processor 4GB RAM but PC starts OK - shuts downs OK but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!! after blue window icon and before show login screen appears a black screen and PC shows working or downloading - .... after...