Windows 10: Win 10 will cold boot but not restart while running??

Discus and support Win 10 will cold boot but not restart while running?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Did a clean install of Win10. All went well and all working. However, after I did a few Microsoft “Updates” I could no longer get the PC to do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Woodbob, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Woodbob Win User

Win 10 will cold boot but not restart while running??

Did a clean install of Win10. All went well and all working.
    However, after I did a few Microsoft “Updates” I could no
    longer get the PC to do a “Restart”. Yes, I could and can

start the PC from a cold Boot. I’ve also installed Win10 on

another computer and it has the same problem after updating.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

:)

Woodbob, Jul 25, 2016

2. Why does Windows 10 randomly start in Safe Mode without prompting to do so?

Still happens. Further isolation: only on Win 10 systems upgraded from Win 7 (one Win 7 Pro, one Win 7).

Sometimes, but not always, system boots in Safe Mode while launching Microsoft Lifecam though it is not set up to start from cold boot.

PhilipSedgwick, Jul 25, 2016
  3. how to fix temporary profile in windows 10????? when i shut down and next day my downloaded apps are gone?

After installing Win 10, I had the same problem.

A restart would not reset it. A warm boot.

When I held down the power button for 5-10 seconds the computer shut down. Upon restarting with the power button (cold boot) the temporary profile went away --- reset success.

AllynBoldt, Jul 25, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Try running this line from command prompt: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -R -F -T 00

CountMike, Jul 26, 2016
  5. Woodbob Win User
    CountMike,

Thanks, but that didn't work!

Woodbob, Jul 26, 2016
  6. Woodbob Win User
    Aug 02, 2016 I did a clean install of Win 10 with MS anniversary update and that solved the problem. Everything
    else I tried didn't work. I also did a clean install of my friends desktop that had the same "restart" problem and his worked also. Very strange......

Woodbob, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 will cold boot but not restart while running?? - Similar Threads - cold boot restart

2. BSOD upon Win 11 Cold boot, then no issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD upon Win 11 Cold boot, then no issues: Hi,I would like help to diagnose why my Win 11 computer from a few months ago will go into a BSOD reboot whenever I switch it on. The reboot happens without me having to log into the system. Upon reboot, the pictorial login screen that originally loads comes up as a blue...
  3. BSOD upon Win 11 Cold boot, then no issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD upon Win 11 Cold boot, then no issues: Hi,I would like help to diagnose why my Win 11 computer from a few months ago will go into a BSOD reboot whenever I switch it on. The reboot happens without me having to log into the system. Upon reboot, the pictorial login screen that originally loads comes up as a blue...
  4. Win10 cold boots fine but restart gets "inaccessible boot device"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 cold boots fine but restart gets "inaccessible boot device": I have a Win10 system that is showing an odd symptom: it cold boots i.e., from a power up fine, but any restart whether manually requested or as part of a Windows Update fails with "Inaccessible boot device". None of the reports I see here seem to match that, and the fixes...
  5. Win 10 Cold Boot erases system restore points

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Cold Boot erases system restore points: Yes, system restore in settings is on, and there is plenty of space. In the same session I can manually create any number of system restore points, and I schedule them daily automatically. But once I cold boot (not warm boot) the restore points are gone. Shadow service is on....
  6. Why is restart on Windows 10 way slower than cold boot?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why is restart on Windows 10 way slower than cold boot?: So I've been tweaking things on my system, both hardware and software, and I now have pretty much instant boot on cold startup. Very nice. But restart is much slower, and takes a good 4-10 seconds to get to the login/lock screen. Is this deliberate, and if not, what could...
  7. Windows 10 - Damaged boot after every cold restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - Damaged boot after every cold restart: Hello, Whenever I came back from work and start my PC, I get a blue screen error. Every single day. To fix this issue I follow below steps: 1) Restart computer in safe mode 2) Start command line 3) Enter below commands > diskpart > sel disk 0 > list vol > sel vol...
  8. How Is MS Edge Running From A Cold Boot?

in Browsers and Email
    How Is MS Edge Running From A Cold Boot?: Yesterday while doing my weekly CCleaner routine I got this: [img] Had to do a "Force Close". I initially thought it may have been some leftover something still running. Today when I encountered another issue, I did a Shutdown. Came back, booted up and started CCleaner...
  9. Cold boot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cold boot issues: Hello, i have this issue on one PC that I've installed windows 10 and it doesn't boot properly. It goes to the windows logo part then it hangs for a bit before shutting itself down , then i need to power it on again and it will boot after a while. It also creates massive...
  10. Win 10 after a cold boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 after a cold boot: This happens when I power up the pc and it boots. The desktop appears, and when I click normally on an icon (a desktop shortcut) to open it, it doesn't open. Instead I get the menu that I would get if I had right-clicked on the icon. If I open it from there, there are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 will not restart but will cold boot

2. win10 boots from cold but not from reboot