Windows 10: Win 10 will not let transfer files from one ext hdd to another via des

Discus and support Win 10 will not let transfer files from one ext hdd to another via des in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Can't seem to find a answer, I am trying to transfer video files from one external usb portable drive to another via a desktop PC, all using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by metro5053, Jul 5, 2017.

1. metro5053 Win User

Win 10 will not let transfer files from one ext hdd to another via des

Hi,
    Can't seem to find a answer, I am trying to transfer video files from one external usb portable drive to another via a desktop PC, all using windows 10.
    I have tried bulk transfer's and individual transfers, sometime it will do individual files, but mostly it will not.
    Any ideas on a solution, for a software program to use
    Held is appreciated
    May thinks
    Bob

:)

metro5053, Jul 5, 2017
  2. DANAGORR Win User

Transfer of Win 10 via usb to a laptop with no os

Thanks. But what if I only intend to run win10 on one computer? That is transfer its files from the one it's downloaded on via usb to another. I intend to keep Win 7 on the original computer that Win 10 files would be transferred from.

DANAGORR, Jul 5, 2017
  3. Lse123polis, Jul 5, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 5, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    What is the error message that you are getting? How was the drive formatted and does it have Windows or Linux installed on it?

bro67, Jul 5, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    If your video files are larger then 4GB each and the file system on either External HDD is FAT32 you will not be able to transfer files that large, unless you convert FAT32 to NTFS

spunk, Jul 5, 2017
  7. metro5053 Win User
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replies, ok, my portable HDD are formatted in NTFS, and I don't get any error messages. Have both USB Hdd connect to the desktop and use it to transfer the files from one portable hdd to another. Well that was the idea., but no luck so far.
    Bob

metro5053, Jul 5, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

That is something I do regularly. I keep my videos on a USB HDD, and back up copies on another, usually copied with 'xcopy /s' from a command prompt, sometimes using file explorer. Either way, you should have no problems. As you do, I would suspect it's likely to be a permissions or ownership problem on the destination drive. Was it formatted by another PC, or the destination folders created by another PC's user account?

Another possibility is corruption on one or both external HDDs. Try running chkdsk on them.

Bree, Jul 5, 2017
  9. robgr Win User
    Is one of the devices connected via a hub?
    A hub can be external or in the PC such as that which is used to present ports on say the front of a PC.
    Try again with both devices connected via rear USB ports (these will be directly off the mobo)
    Failure to do this can result in errors when reading/writing large files, e.g. creating backs ups etc. (worse if using USB 3.0)

robgr, Jul 5, 2017
  10. metro5053 Win User
    Hi,
    not connected to a hub and formatted by the same PC. I decided as recommended to use free file sync, it worked perfectly, so this will be OK for me.
    Thanks for all your advice it is definitely appreciated
    REegards
    Bob

metro5053, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 10 will not let transfer files from one ext hdd to another via des - Similar Threads - let transfer files

2. Transfer of files from one Windows version to another.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer of files from one Windows version to another.: I am using Win 10 on my pc and my office people are using win 7. If i send them Word files through email and if they download it in Win 7 then can they see the files without any corruption/changes??...
  3. won't let me transfer game the sims4 files from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    won't let me transfer game the sims4 files from one drive to another: Hello! Ea sent me to you. The situation is as follows: I have installed the game on the d drive, but the other files mods, images, etc. automatically created on the c drive. When I try to move the files to the d drive, the game does not see the uploaded files. How do I get...
  4. won't let me transfer game the sims4 files from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    won't let me transfer game the sims4 files from one drive to another: Hello! Ea sent me to you. The situation is as follows: I have installed the game on the d drive, but the other files mods, images, etc. automatically created on the c drive. When I try to move the files to the d drive, the game does not see the uploaded files. How do I get...
  5. won't let me transfer game the sims4 files from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Transferring files from one user to another

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transferring files from one user to another: I original set up windows under an account/email that has since be closed. I want to transfer all my files currently on the old user account to my new user account but can't seem to figure this out. Is there a way I can move my files, apps, and setting that are on the old...
  7. Transferring files from one SSD to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring files from one SSD to another: Can I transfer regular files such as games, apps, and programs from one SSD to another? Like for an example, your default drive is Drive C. You download a file, app, or a program onto your computer and it installs into Drive D. Is there a way that you can move any kind of...
  8. Transferring files from one Microsoft account to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from one Microsoft account to another: This seems to be my month to contact Microsoft. So glad you're here to answer questions. Is it possible to transfer files from one Microsoft account to another? I prefer to have to handle only one account, but circumstances made it necessary to create a new account with an...
  9. Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD: I bought a laptop from a pawn shop ( old one was dying ). The "new" machine has very small SSD ( 110gb ) and I want to replace it with an HDD ( 1TB ) I recently purchased? The following image is the output from a Powershell command I found here on the forums. It's a retail...
  10. Files disappearing after transfer from one hdd to another

in Windows 10 Support
    Files disappearing after transfer from one hdd to another: Hi guys, This is my first post here but i have been reading this forum for a while so I know you guy will do your best to help, so thanks in advance. I run a pc repair shop and have been having an issue where if I transfer files from any hard drive that is pugged into...