Windows 10: win 10 word 2010 email as attachment

Discus and support win 10 word 2010 email as attachment in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello I cannot send a word doc when I click on Save and send. I have a MS account (Outlook.com)=pr.... @Live.com, a Gmail and a Comcast account. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by maranna, Mar 11, 2016.

1. maranna Win User

win 10 word 2010 email as attachment

Hello
    I cannot send a word doc when I click on Save and send.
    I have a MS account (Outlook.com)=pr.... @Live.com, a Gmail and a Comcast account.
    I selected M.S. "Mail" as my default client as none of the others appear under default.
    I used to use WLM but they are phasing Essentials out.

Do you know how to fix this?

:)

maranna, Mar 11, 2016

2. Outlook 2013 opens Word attachments in Word 2013 despite Word 2010 being preferred version - Windows 10 suspected as cause

Thank you for the response. I will continue following that thread.

I have not posted in the Word forum because I have no problem using Word. The problem arises from the interactions of Outlook 2013, Windows 10, and multiple versions of Word. When Outlook is not involved (i.e. the Word document is an attachment to an email),
    or when Windows 10 is not involved, there is no problem. Documents and templates both use Word 2010. When Outlook 2013 is involved on Windows 10, attachments open in Word 2013.

I speculated that Outlook may be treating the attachment as an OLE object.

Charles Kenyon, Mar 11, 2016
  3. Outlook 2013 opens Word attachments in Word 2013 despite Word 2010 being preferred version - Windows 10 suspected as cause

First, this is a question first posted in the Outlook forum. It has been cross-posted at

this thread
    and
    this one
    . No satisfactory answer has come up, I suspect that it is because this is a side-effect of Win 10 rather than Outlook or Word settings.

Originally posted in Outlook forum on November 25, 2015:

I have multiple versions of Office on my computer but use the latest version of Outlook (2013) that I have.

When I double-click on a Word document in Windows it opens in Word 2010, which is my preferred version. However, if I open a Word document that is an email attachment directly, it opens in Word 2013.

Is there any setting I can change to get attachments to open in Word 2010.

BTW, I do know that it is not a good idea to open and edit Word documents directly from email. I generally open them and if I want to edit, I save the document to a permanent storage location.

Note, this is a recent behavior (within the last couple of days). Before that attachments opened in Word 2010.

Additional information: This was not a problem for more than two years under Windows 8.1. This is true of all forms of Word files.

I also tried a command line re-registration, following my own directions from:

My docs open in the wrong program! Re-registering Word using the commandline.

Here is a screenshot from a message showing the .docx attachments with Word 2013 icons.

win 10 word 2010 email as attachment [​IMG]

Here is a screenshot of such an attachment's icon when downloaded/saved to the Desktop using SaveAs. That document also showed a Word 2013 icon as the attachment.

win 10 word 2010 email as attachment [​IMG]

Note that it is the Word 2010 icon.

When a document is opened from a file saved to the computer it opens in Word 2010. When the same document is opened directly from the email, it opens in Word 2013. This happens whether or not Word 2010 or Word 2013 are already open. AFAIK this only happens
    when the email is opened in Outlook 2013.

Again, this is a relatively recent development. I have been using Outlook (and Word) 2013 for more than two years previously without this anomaly. Word 2010 was and remains the default application for Word documents, except when they are opened directly
    from Outlook.

Word 2013 is currently not the default app for any file type.

Charles Kenyon, Mar 11, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I run into that problem with a few of my clients and the only solution for them was to get Microsoft Outlook so as to properly interface with Word and Excel. It's mostly the difference between using Webmail/Online E-Mail versus an installed E-Mail Client/Program. If a client doesn't want to buy Outlook or upgrade their version of Office to one that includes Outlook I advise to Save the document in the Documents/My Documents Folder, open their Browser to their Webmail page, create the message then Attach the file they created and Send.

Berton, Mar 11, 2016
  5. maranna Win User
    If I got an email client like Thunderbird etc would that work? One you downloaded to the PC. I used to have WLM.
    I thought MS's MAIL as default would do it b/c it seems to be installed, not web based.

I have a MS account p..... @Live.com but I guess that is web based.

Is what I need a non web based email client?

maranna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. win 10 word 2010 email as attachment - Similar Threads - word 2010 email

2. Word 2010

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word 2010: Word 2010 only prints in black. How do I get it to work as before with colors too? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2010/8a9d6c5a-e526-4942-9159-3ec6d6d0e45f
  3. 2010 word

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2010 word: I am writing a personal accounts story of my life for family when I pass. I have placed it on thumb drives for each individual…all in all works fairly well. The problem I have, I am using word 2010, when I hit the review tab and choose final…so all formatting is hidden, I...
  4. Win 2010 MS Outlook recipient problems getting emails with pictures attached

Win 2010 MS Outlook recipient problems getting emails with pictures attached: MS Outlook Win 2010 email will not arrive at recipient's end if 1 picture is attached. Why? It's her iPhone or her laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-2010-ms-outlook-recipient-problems-getting/342aa436-207f-49ba-ad6c-db5c1faed292
  5. Upgrade from MS word 2010 in Win 10

Upgrade from MS word 2010 in Win 10: I have a copy of MS word that I bought in 2010. I have the product Key verifying this. On the MS site I am told that with this key I can then get the Word app for Win10. I insert the key, it verifies it and tells me if I have a 2010 version to go to this new site, with a link...
  6. In Word 2010 document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In Word 2010 document: In Word 2010 I hit control A and then Control V instead of Control C and cannot find document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-word-2010-document/e9ec74b1-ceb4-4660-ab7b-9e4722982eee"
  7. Word Starter 2010

Word Starter 2010: I could not repair my Word Starter in Control Panel so I deleted it believing I could reinstall. Apparently not. What can I do /install so I can open and edit documents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-starter-2010/dad4273b-c382-4951-aa28-b122d15d374d
  8. Microsoft word 2010

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft word 2010: I ran a fix me stick in my computer! Loosed my internet Explorer and my Microsoft word 2010 and my HP printer I got back my Explorer by redown loading now how do I get back my Microsoft word? If I reinstall it will I loose all of my things on it? Also How do I do it? Rich.K...
  9. Win 10 and email attachments

in Browsers and Email
    Win 10 and email attachments: Like everyone else, I upgraded to Win 10. When I open email attachments using Outlook 2013 or the Outlook App, I cannot open them even if there are .docx files. Specifically, when I click once on the attachment I get " this file cannot be previewed because there is no...
  10. Word 2010 bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Word 2010 bug: For the most part 10 has worked flawlessy on my Toshiba laptop. I had a weird issue with Firefox eating up tons of CPU power and slowing the system down, but I updated to v.40 beta and that's gone. I do still have an issue with Word 2010. Whenever I try to work on the...