Windows 10: Win 11 - Error - This file is write protected - Photos and some movies.

Discus and support Win 11 - Error - This file is write protected - Photos and some movies. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi All - O.S. Win 11- Desktop Tower with O.S. Drive C and also Drive D. In addition I have 1x4TB and 1x12TB Western Digital external Drives connected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Bob Turner2, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Win 11 - Error - This file is write protected - Photos and some movies.

Hi All - O.S. Win 11- Desktop Tower with O.S. Drive C and also Drive D. In addition I have 1x4TB and 1x12TB Western Digital external Drives connected to the tower. I am the only user of this equipment.I have administrator rights at least I think I do!I have thousands of photos and some movie files across drives D - 4TB - 12TB. I am currently trying to catalogue all of these but I am unable to move/edit or delete specific duplicate/backup files. This DOES NOT apply to D or 12TB. On D and 12TB Properties>Security shows 'Authenticated Users' and everything seems to be OK here and I can

:)

Bob Turner2, Feb 21, 2024
  2. freebird_9924, Feb 21, 2024
  3. Attempts to install Win11 resulted in an NVME being Write-Protected. How do I clear Write-Protection?

I am in the same situation. I bought a new laptop with Windows 11 Home and added a 2 TB NVMe SSD to it. I upgraded to Win 11 Pro. Everything worked fine with the drive at that point; however, I had to perform a reset to reinstall the OS for other reasons. When the reinstall was finished, the NVMe was write protected. I took all of the same steps listed in this thread with the same results - the drive remains write protected.

JimStack37, Feb 21, 2024
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Win 11 - Error - This file is write protected - Photos and some movies.

Write Protected photos

Hi Mindy,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you copied the files to your computer or are you trying to access them directly from the SD card/camera?
    • What happens if you right click a photo and select the
      Open
      option?
    • What is the exact error message/error code you see when you try to open the files?
    • What is version of Windows 10 running on the computer? To check, go to Settings->System About.

Normally, an SD card has a small switch (hardware) which if turned
    on
    will not allow you to make any changes to the SD card contents. If you are trying to view the files directly from the SD card, ensure that the SD card does not have the right protection switch turned
    on.

You may try removing the Read only attribute in file properties and see if that makes any difference.

• Copy/move files to a new folder on your computer.
    • Select all photos by pressing the Ctrl key and
      A.
    • Right click on the selected files and select Properties.
    • Uncheck the box Read only.
    • Click Apply and Ok to let the changes take effect.
    • Try to open the files and see it you are the Write access.

If the above method does not work, you may try to change the file/folder permissions. Follow the steps given below.

• Copy/move files to a new folder on your computer.
    • Right click on the folder and select Properties.
    • Select the Security tab and click
      Advanced,
    • Under Permissions section, click on
      Change button, type Everyone,
      then click Check Names and click Ok.
    • Check the box Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.
    • Click on Add
      and click on Select a Principal.
    • Type Everyone,
      then click Check Names and click on
      OK
    • Check the checkbox for
      Full Control
      and click Ok.
    • Click Apply
      and then click Ok
    • Click Ok
      in the folder properties window to close it and try to open the photos.

Let us know how it goes and feel free to write back if you have any further questions.

Awaiting your response.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Feb 21, 2024
Thema:

Win 11 - Error - This file is write protected - Photos and some movies.

1. Win 11 - Error - This file is write protected - Photos and some movies. - Similar Threads - Error file write

2. Win 11 - Error - This file is write protected - Photos and some movies.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 - Error - This file is write protected - Photos and some movies.: Hi All - O.S. Win 11- Desktop Tower with O.S. Drive C and also Drive D. In addition I have 1x4TB and 1x12TB Western Digital external Drives connected to the tower. I am the only user of this equipment.I have administrator rights at least I think I do!I have thousands of...
  3. Write protection error of image files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Write protection error of image files: Whenever I go to open image files in my laptop I get the error that it is write protected. I've gone into the properties of the images and the read-only boxes are unchecked. How would I go about fixing this error?This error occurs on all images, even ones I've previously been...
  4. Write protection error of image files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Write protection error of image files: Whenever I go to open image files in my laptop I get the error that it is write protected. I've gone into the properties of the images and the read-only boxes are unchecked. How would I go about fixing this error?...
  5. Write protection error of image files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Write protection error of image files: Whenever I go to open image files in my laptop I get the error that it is write protected. I've gone into the properties of the images and the read-only boxes are unchecked. How would I go about fixing this error?...
  6. write protected photos

write protected photos: How do I remove the write protected from my photos. They were not write protcted on Saturday but when I tried to open them on Sunday they said write protected and woyld not open....
  7. Write Protection Error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Write Protection Error: [ATTACH] Every other day I have this error. After coming back to my sleeping computer in the morning this box is on the lock screen but also the desktop. I have a WD Passport removable hard drive connected that has Security and Maintenance alert for scanning the drive. I've...
  8. Write Protected photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Write Protected photos: I can no longer open my new photos that I have downloaded from my camera. I have hundreds of photos and can open those, but the new ones sat "write protected" I know the computer just did a Microsoft update, does that have anything to do with it and how do I fix the...
  9. Write protected photos

Write protected photos: It appears that overnight all media (photos, video etc) on my laptop have become write protected! I can't open anything. What did I do? How can I correct the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/write-protected-photos/a10d044e-5e65-4148-83a3-ec2d15a95a70"
  10. Write Protected photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Write Protected photos: I can no longer open my new photos that I have downloaded from my camera. I have hundreds of photos and can open those, but the new ones sat "write protected" I know the computer just did a Microsoft update, does that have anything to do with it and how do I fix the...