Windows 10: Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

Discus and support Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by davew, Aug 3, 2015.

1. davew Win User

Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot

After reading many posts & reply's, I now think/understand that I cannot Dual Boot win 7 and win 10 using free Win 10, if I want to do that I must buy Win 10. Reason is the MS will not allow free Win 10 if I am still using Win 7.

1st I must update my win 7 with win 10 which overwrites win 7. Then I can do a clean install of win 10. However my Win 7 is toast. This sounds crazy, but am I correct?

My computer is very important to my business and I must see for myself if win 10 will work correctly after I download apps like quick books to it and before I overwrite my win 7 which works great. This sounds like a very dangerous plan.

I do have Win 10 running on a separate SSD from my win 7 on the same computer but it's not dual boot, I must restart from win 7 and boot from the drive which has win 10. Seems kind of dumb.

:)

davew, Aug 3, 2015

2. Dual boot installation?

I currently dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 on my Dell PC. I want to do the clean install of Win 10 on the Win 8 partition. My question is will it affect the Win 7 partition and will I be able to dual boot win 7 and Win 10?

Thanks,

Brian

Sportsdadmi39, Aug 3, 2015
  3. I have Dual Booting Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows 8.1 Pro, Is upgrading my windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 will erase Windows 7 ?

I had win 7 and win 10 dual boot, running just fine for several months.

THEN last nite somehow win 7 decided to updgrade to win 10 , even though win 7 was running.

Result was win 7 upgraded to win 10. Now dual boot has win 10 on one partition and win 10 upgrade on other portion. The upgraded win 7 (win 10) is all fouled and does not function. The original dual boot win 10 works ok.

The Microsoft upgrade somehow assassinated my smoothly running system, and I am jumping thru hoops trying to get my win 7/10 dual boot restored from a March 2016 disk image (that I thoughtfully had created while everything was working smoothly). This restore
    is currently in progress, and I pray will be successful .. Will find out in a few hours. BUT .. I might jump off a bridge if win 10 again updates somehow to again assassinate my system. It is inexplicable to me that win 10 installs over win 7 when I have
    not agreed/selected/opted to upgrade to win 10 while running the dual booted win 7. I don't know how it happened, and I don't know how to prevent it from recurring. Any suggestions?

DennisTOTH0919, Aug 3, 2015
  4. wptski Win User

You can purchase W8.1, install/active it as your second OS and then upgrade free to W10 just as I did. That's cheaper than just purchasing W10 outright. You can just install W10 on your other partition/HD but it won't be activated and I'm unsure what the consequences are of that. I had that for a short time but never tried to boot into W7 during that time.

wptski, Aug 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 7 and Win 10 Dual Boot - Similar Threads - Dual Boot

2. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key: Can i dual boot my Windows 10 Pro OS on same PC and will it work with same Product Key which i had purchased?I want to run 2 Win10 OS on the same PC. Since my hardware config will be the same will it accept the product key on both the same OS?Please clarify if anyone has done...
  4. Dual Boot Windows 10 with same Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dual boot: My current laptop is a dell inspiron 3521 and it is about 12 years old nowit had come preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and all the drivers were working properlyafter moving to windows 10 my amd gpu hasn't ever workedCan i dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows 10 installedwill...
  6. Windows dual boot

Windows dual boot: My current laptop is a dell inspiron 3521 and it is about 12 years old nowit had come preinstalled with Windows 8.1 and all the drivers were working properlyafter moving to windows 10 my amd gpu hasn't ever workedCan i dual boot with windows 8.1 and windows 10 installedwill...
  7. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  8. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  9. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. How to Dual boot Windows with another OS, while keeping the TPM reserved for windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Dual boot Windows with another OS, while keeping the TPM reserved for windows: I like to mess around with different operating systems, but for convenience, I often return to Windows regularly.It would really help me to set up a Dual boot on my Main PC with Windows and Arch Linux so i can mess with diffrend Operating systems Via Distro box or similar...