Windows 10: Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups

Discus and support Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I doubt MS will recommend a particular 3rd party product. MS system image works well. The problems are almost always between the chair and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rcgldr, Aug 20, 2017.

1. SIW2 Win User

Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups

I doubt MS will recommend a particular 3rd party product.

MS system image works well. The problems are almost always between the chair and the keyboard.

2. Bree New Member

Agreed. It works well if you stay within its design limits. Problem is, those limits aren't documented anywhere. I had to learn them the hard way. Apparently innocuous changes can break it. *Sad

Still, it works reliably for me (now). I've lost count of the number of successful restores I've done.

3. cereberus Win User
    I never got it to work successfully on any of my 32bit uefi tablets (had 3 so far) whereas Macrium worked everytime.

Also had restore failures on my old (now in bit heaven) Sony.

In the end, I found it not to be reliable.

Re. recommendation of tool, Macrium was way ahead in the poll @Kari did a year or so ago, so I cannot think of a better endorsement than the informed opinion of regulars here.

I admit I am biased but that is simply based on fact it has never let me down on any device and that is the only tool I can say that about. I did find it was the only tool that could handle 32bit uefi installs. Ok I accept that was about three years ago and have not reverified but in the end, I just have utmost confidence.

I always say it is a good plan is to image backup with two different tools, then immediately ignore my own advice by only ever using Macrium - LOL!

I went for the paid version mostly to use Rapid Delta Restore which is brilliant. I screwed up my OS other day doing stupid stuff and because RDR only restores stuff that has changed (bit like uup updates), I git back to state of previous days backup in less than five minutes!

Actually, I do not see how MS could endorse a specific product as others would cry foul.

However, I could see MS entering a partnership ?

cereberus, Aug 21, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

The Windows image UI is only intended to perform basic tasks - i.e. for the average user. I have used the command prompt to restore volumes from system images to different drives.

Thema:

1. Win 7 image restore breaks ability to see Win 10 image backups - Similar Threads - image restore breaks

2. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  3. Backup and Restore - Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup and Restore - Win 7: I tried using the Win 7 Backup and restore. Below is a screen print of my settings. After a backup and deleting programs etc, I did a restore but my programs were not restored. My data files were restored.Can you suggest what I might have done wrong that the programs were not...
  4. Image Restore cant see the backup file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Image Restore cant see the backup file: I created a system image a few months back due to problems with my hard drive, low and beyond it eventually died but now when I try to restore the backup image to the new hard drive which is the same make and model as before the PC isn't seeing the external hard drive that...
  5. Restore from a Win 10 Backup Image - Password Protected

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore from a Win 10 Backup Image - Password Protected: Hello Forum, I used Windows 10 Backup to backup my system with an image to an external drive. I then reset my system and started again with minimal setup. I attempted to restore from the backup image, but Windows 10 wants a password to restore the image. Of course I can't...
  6. Win 10 Image BackUp

Win 10 Image BackUp: Currently I'm running Win 10 on a portable HDD and would like to create an image of it but when I go to "Backup and Restore" window I get the following: This feature is not available in a portable workstation environment. 163658
  7. Win 10 Image Restore

Win 10 Image Restore: Hello all, I am trying to create a disk image of my Win 10 system, including drivers and applications. My intent is to create a master image which can be imaged on all new computers in my organization. Is this possible in Windows and / or is it possible with other software...
  8. Image Backup - Win 10

Image Backup - Win 10: I may be the first one to do it, or maybe not. But just a reminder to everyone (who did hard installation on SSDs and HDDs). All of us here have just clean installed the Win 10 Tech Preview. If it's running okay now, before you go any further messing it up and before bugs...
  9. Previous backup Disk images with Win 7 , Keep?

Previous backup Disk images with Win 7 , Keep?: Now that my computers are updated to Windows 10 , are the old back up disk images with win7 of any use ? Can they even be used to revert back to Win 7 ? Should I just delete them and make new disk image with win 10. Tks 33838
  10. restoring win 10 with Win 8.0 recovery image

restoring win 10 with Win 8.0 recovery image: I have an ASUS laptop which came with 8.0. When I got it I made a restore image copy. The laptop was then upgraded to win 10. I did not make a new restore image copy. Now I have a problem the laptop keeps rebooting tried restore but after a while will reboot again! It asks...