Windows 10: Win 7 Pro upgrade to Win 10 via 8.1

Discus and support Win 7 Pro upgrade to Win 10 via 8.1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a new ASUS laptop, bought with Win 7 pro pre-installed (although shipped from Asus with Win 8.1). It is not receiving the Win 10 "upgrade"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by carrotmuseum, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Win 7 Pro upgrade to Win 10 via 8.1

I have a new ASUS laptop, bought with Win 7 pro pre-installed (although shipped from Asus with Win 8.1).

It is not receiving the Win 10 "upgrade" and I am advised to use the recovery disks supplied with the laptop, to re-instal Win 8.1. and then go for Win 10

Is there an instruction sheet I can download which explains how to put Win 8.1 back on this laptop? - I have 3 disks:
    1.Recovery Media for Win 8.1 - marked Boot DVD Disc 15091-2190000 N5799 V1.0

2. A two pack CD set - marked Recovery Media for Win 8.1 - Recovery DVD 1 of 2 15091-202D0000 N5650 V1.0 and then disc 2 of 2.

How do i use these, and which comes first. OR is there a preinstalled partition which recovers to Win 8.1 ?

:)

carrotmuseum, Oct 2, 2015
  2. Time Lady Win User

Problem of no price.

Because Home & Pro are different versions of the same OS. The only way you can upgrade from Home to Pro is either purchasing a key/license from MS or using a Windows 8/8.1 pro key.

Only MS know why they offered Win 7 & 8/8.1 users a free upgrade to Win 10. If you had Win 7/8/8.1 pro installed you received Win 10 pro.

I had a Win 8 pro key & used that to upgrade my Win 10 home.

Time Lady, Oct 2, 2015
  3. Mr Tarks Win User
    Reserving Windons 10 Pro Edition

Hi

I only have 1 PC that is currently running Win 8.1 Home. I have reserved my copy of Win 10 so I should end up with Win 10 Home.

I have a Genuine Win 7 Ultimate DVD that's is not currently installed. I have read that this would normally get upgraded to Win 10 Pro edition.

What are my options if I want to get upgraded to Win 10 Pro.? Is it possible to reserve Win 10 Pro ver without having to downgrade now from Win 8.1 to Win 7 ?

I have tried to install windows 7 alongside win 8.1 but the win 7 installation fails.

Thank you.

Mr Tarks, Oct 2, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Win 7 Pro upgrade to Win 10 via 8.1

Before you do any upgrade of your Windows installation, make sure you have a working backup of the complete contents of the C: drive!

Unless you have major problems with WIndows 7 (devices not working correctly, devices causing bluescreens or so), I would not go to 8.1 first. Reading between the lines, I think your problem is that you do not get the notification popup and that this is the reason why you think you would have to use Windows 8.1.

However, you don't have to. *Smile

Use the Media Creation Tool to upgrade your Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    Here is a tutorial: Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

The upgrade will enable you to keep all your programs, drivers and files. If you in fact want to do a clean installation of Windows 10, where your programs, drivers and files are not kept, then this can also be done with the Media Creation Tool.

Joergi, Oct 2, 2015
  5. Sorry I should have given you between the lines! - it has the pop up telling me its reserved, just that everyone I know has got the upgrade, including my othr laptop from Win 7 premium, and I wondered if M/s was not recognising the "downgraded" version of windows I have. Do you think I should hang on a bit longer? or force the issue!

6. Joergi Win User
    The deciding point is whether your current Windows installation is activated or if it is not.

Since you bought Windows 7, it should be activated. However, just to be sure, please check that again!

If Windows 7 is activated, you can use the Media Creation Tool, have it upgrade your PC and Windows 10 will activate as well.

You can start that directly after you made sure that you have a working backup! *Wink

Joergi, Oct 2, 2015
  7. How do I check it again?

8. Joergi Win User

You mean how you check a backup after you have created one?

Well, in an ideal world you would play it on a computer and see, if it's working. However, often the world is not ideal. Often there are no two identical PCs, of which you can just replace the contents of one with a backup without caring for the data on that other PC.

During creation of the backup, some kind of validity checks will have been run as well. The fact that these did not error out is an indicator for the good shape of the resulting backup. Personally I usually never really do an actual test of the backups I do. If the backup process finishes without error, I look at the file size of the result and if that more or less fits to what I expect, then I put it on the shelf and that is it.

Joergi, Oct 2, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think you mean how do I check if Windows 7 is activated. From a command prompt type "slmgr /xpr". You should get a return that says "This machine is permanently activated".

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2015
  10. alphanumeric, Oct 3, 2015
  11. Brilliant! - only 12 hours later BUT it worked - I have Win10 pro - woo hoo!

carrotmuseum, Oct 6, 2015
  12. Good stuff. Once its activated on that PC its yours for the life of that device. Now you can clean install Windows 10 Pro.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 7 Pro upgrade to Win 10 via 8.1 - Similar Threads - Pro upgrade via

2. Win 7 Pro to Win 10 upgrade questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 Pro to Win 10 upgrade questions: I bought a laptop 5 years ago that came with a Win 10 Pro license which at that time I wasn't ready to upgrade to, so I had the manufacturer downgrade the OS install to Win 7 Pro. I now want to upgrade this older, but still capable laptop to have as a second computer - I...
  3. Win 7 Pro OA upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 Pro OA upgrade to Win 10: Hi, I'm trying to research as to whether my business can upgrade our Win 7 OA business specific client build to a version of Win 10. Is this still possible to do at no cost? We have tested both Win 10 and Linux, both work however more work is required for Linux however...
  4. How is the Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro upgrade process?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How is the Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro upgrade process?: Typically I do a fresh version of windows with a new PC build. That being said Win 7 is out of date and I might do the upgrade for security reasons. My concern is around doing the upgrade and having everything land back in exactly the same place its in now. For example I have...
  5. upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I have several times tried to upgrade my desktop dual boot Win XP and Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the downloaded ISO file, and keep my personal files and apps. It runs about 36 hours then fails. How can I make this upgrade? If not using the ISO file is there another...
  6. Upgrade a win 7 pro system to win 10 pro

Upgrade a win 7 pro system to win 10 pro: I want to upgrade a Win 7 pro system to Win 10 pro. I want to do an upgrade and NOT a clean install. My question: Can I use the commercial version (available from computer stores) of win 10 to upgrade the win 7 system and use the license key that I assume comes with...
  7. Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from a Microsoft certified seller. The problem I'm having is the upgrade keeps hanging up around 80% install. I'm running an MSI motherboard MSI Z975SSLI Krait Edition (MS 7922) 64 bit Intel core i5-4690 3.5 Ghz 38 GB memory. Can...
  8. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917
  9. Win 8 Home OEM to 10 Pro.. via 7 Pro OEM disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 8 Home OEM to 10 Pro.. via 7 Pro OEM disk?: I've ordered a refurbished Asus laptop that has Win 8 Home preinstalled. I want to upgrade to Win 10 Pro. What'd be the ideal/doable path to do that, considering... I have Win 7 Pro OEM disc.. I don't have any Win 10 discs. Can I download and do clean install Win 10 Pro...
  10. Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: My first PC I upgraded did not upgrade to Pro. So I want to download the media for Pro, and upgrade with it. When I go to the MS site to download, it does not offer me a selection of versions to download. Can anyone suggest where to find the Pro Win 10 download, or a...