Windows 10: Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10

Discus and support Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sorry for the newb question, but this is a great place for all things Win 10 already, so here goes.. For the best possible win 10 preview install, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wase4711, Jun 9, 2015.

1. wase4711 Win User

Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10

Sorry for the newb question, but this is a great place for all things Win 10 already, so here goes..

For the best possible win 10 preview install, I think I should remove the following programs before I try it; am I paranoid, or do you guys agree?

Esset AV
    All stardock stuff, IE window blinds, windows fx, dreamscape, et al..
    Utorrent
    Vivaldi Web Browser
    Cyberfox Browser

Is it necessary to remove this stuff for a good install, or, will these programs just not work at all if I leave them and uninstall them after Win 10 is up and running?

Anything else that should be uninstalled/disabled prior to installing win 10?
    Is it better to run the setup.exe from a dvd I burned, or a usb drive that I setup for this purpose?

I have version 10074 to install, which I think has been the most trouble free for doing a "new" install, or is there a different version I should use?
    I also assume I should run windows update first thing after it (hopefully) boots into windows 10..anything else to do right away?

Thanks!

:)

wase4711, Jun 9, 2015
  2. mlg63 Win User

A small window popping up due to corrupted file in Windows 10

It sounds more like an incompatible application than a corrupted file. What app are you using when it pops up? Check your Startup programs and disable any old utilities from win 7. Those cannot be used in windows 10--including anti virus & security programs
    for win 7. Look in Programs and Features and remove any win 7 programs that did not come with Windows 10. A clean install of windows 10 should be considered. That will remove any non compatible programs. Make sure windows 10 is activated before doing a clean
    install. You would have to make copies of your personal files on external media before doing a clean install.

Make sure you are happy with windows 10 before a clean install. There is no easy way to return to win 7 after that.

mlg63, Jun 9, 2015
  3. When installing Windows 10 will my existing programs in Windows 7 be kept or are the programs in Winows 7 deleted ?.

When installing Win 10 will my existing programs in Win 7 be kept or are the programs in Win 7 deleted ?.

aramaic(2), Jun 9, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Both of those browsers do work in Wn10.. I've used them and not have an issue.

BunnyJ, Jun 9, 2015
  5. wase4711 Win User
    thanks Jeff!

Is there a tool that I can run before upgrading to make sure the drivers for my current pc/peripherals are available now?
    Its a 8 month old pc with a newer multi core amd processor, but I am concerned my dual AMD graphics card setup might not be supported; although you would think that it would be at this point..also concerned about my Epson all in one printer too, although that too is less than 1 year old..
    I don't have the little icon in my tray, so I cant find another way to run/install the windows 10 "compatibility tool" that I think is out there..

thanks!

wase4711, Jun 9, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    I would remove Eset and use Windows Defender until 10 goes final and Eset is verified to work.

Winuser, Jun 9, 2015
  7. wase4711 Win User
    yeah, that was my plan for certain; also, should I get rid of all the stardock stuff just to be safe?

wase4711, Jun 9, 2015
  8. Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10

Thre are some reports that ESET and Win10 don't play well together ... the others are probably ok.

AMD gfx drivers have plagued this machine, but they're running ok as of now.

for a quick check try
    Upgrade Assistant: FAQ - Windows Help

it is not definitive, but 8 & 10 are close cousins

Slartybart, Jun 10, 2015
  9. wase4711 Win User
    thanks; after it installs, does it just disable things that wont run on it, like Window Blinds, etc.?
    also, has anyone found a stand alone version of the windows 10 hardware compatibility program?
    I cant get the windows icon in my win 7 machine tray, no matter what I do, and I sort of want to run the checker to see what it says about my hardware..

thanks!

wase4711, Jun 10, 2015
  10. essenbe Win User
    ESET has a BETA AV 9.0.111.0 which works well in 10 .

essenbe, Jun 10, 2015
  11. Thanks Steve, I'll add that tidbit to any future posts I make re: ESET

Slartybart, Jun 10, 2015
  12. Winuser Win User
    Will it still work when the next build released? I'm going to wait until 10 goes final before I install ESET.

Winuser, Jun 10, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Utorrent works fine too if you access those types of sites.

I'd remove any 3rd party AV software though - W10 has quite reasonable build in security --if you MUST use AV software wait till RTM - your W7 program is unlikely to work as the whole method of security in W10 has been completely re-designed and re-written --it's much more in the central OS kernel rather than as an "addon" so AV software writers need to have an internal knowledge of Windows - before W8 they could use standard API's. After W7 release the whole security has been totally re-jigged and completely changed.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 10, 2015
  14. essenbe Win User
    Not knowing what the next build or the RTM will be like, I have no way of knowing. But, when problems arise, ESET is pretty quick to fix them, so I suspect it would work well.

essenbe, Jun 10, 2015
  15. I saw a notice in the last 2 or 3 days to do the following before upgrading to 10; I think I found this at a MS site of some type:

1: uninstall any “disk utility software” and burning apps;

2: run chkdsk /r /f; presumably not on an SSD.

3: Msconfig, under selective startup: clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4: disable all non-MS services on msconfig services tab

5: run sfc /scannow

Not sure how valid or complete it is.

ignatzatsonic, Jun 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Win 7 programs to remove before installing Win 10 - Similar Threads - programs remove before

2. Installed win 7 registry backup in win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed win 7 registry backup in win 10: HelloI did something stupid and installed a Windows 7 registry backup to windows 10 and now I can't access anything, command prompt, registry etc. I was messing around with the registry previously to stop antimalware service from running as it was slowing down my system, I...
  3. Unable to install Win 10 from Win 7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to install Win 10 from Win 7: Failed to format disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-install-win-10-from-win-7/4772e720-c6b4-4a5f-9e9c-d5f1baa7c605
  4. win 7 program not opening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    win 7 program not opening: I an getting this msg over and over. Can not open any program. {C:/ program files x86/movies toolbar/datamngr/apcrtldr.dll}. My laptop is running Windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/win-7-program-not-opening/bf1bb81b-148c-4f64-ba7f-d0bd9aa43997
  5. Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10: I have the Windows 7 home edition. by the time I changed it to Win 10 and then due a virus I formatted my disks. Right now, I want to activate the win 10 new installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/d8f511b9-2035-4fc5-aa6b-b48dfce47dcc
  6. Programs, Drivers From Win 7 To Win 10

Programs, Drivers From Win 7 To Win 10: Hello- I need to get my pc over to Windows 10. I've got the latest Windows 10 Pro burned to disc, and I've a new SSD for it. I'm hoping there's a way to move my programs and drivers from my Windows 7 Pro SSD over to the Windows 10 Pro SSD using the same machine. I thought...
  7. Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 7 to win 10: Can i transfer old computer win 7 to new win 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/ea48f987-32d1-4b38-9a63-726bfffde42b"
  8. Win 7 Virtualization before Win 10 upgrade

Win 7 Virtualization before Win 10 upgrade: I have a weird situation. We are accountants whose database is MS Access 2003 that runs under Win 7. To secure my clients' data we are upgrading to Win 10 for security's sake. There is a possibility that Access 2003 won't work in Win 10 even in compatibility mode (if that's...
  9. Move a software program from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move a software program from Win 7 to Win 10: I have a program on my Windows 7 computer of which I have lost the installation CD . Is there any way to somehow move the program from my old computer to my new Windows 10 OS on my new computer? The program is Omron Health Management Software. I contacted Omron for a new CD....
  10. win 7 to win 10

win 7 to win 10: hello,im having the icon down the task bar for reserve my win 10,i did it in advance,but what benefits i get?is it a full version or a trial?do i get updates?do i have to install it on win 7 just an upgrade?can i reverse to win 7?do i have any setup for further use? hope...