Windows 10: Win 7-to- Win 10 + HDD-to-SSD in what order?

Discus and support Win 7-to- Win 10 + HDD-to-SSD in what order? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a nice 4-year old laptop with a 7500 hybrid HDD running win7. 32GB RAM + Intel i7-4700 2.4GHz + NVIDIA graphics processor. I'm currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gmoritz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. gmoritz Win User

Win 7-to- Win 10 + HDD-to-SSD in what order?

I have a nice 4-year old laptop with a 7500 hybrid HDD running win7. 32GB RAM + Intel i7-4700 2.4GHz + NVIDIA graphics processor.

I'm currently using 250GB of a 1TB drive

I want to upgrade to Win10 in part, because I have an intractible error every time I create or rename a directory now:

--o-- Item Not Found
    --o-- Could not find this item
    --o--
    --o-- This is no longer located in .....
    --o-- Verify the item's location and try again.
    --o--
    --o-- [Try Again] [Cancel]

It's always been problematic when it comes to directory name, not refreshing with new names and now this no solution problem.

I want to upgrade the OS and the HDD to a SSD of 500GB.

Should I clone the disk and move the win7 to the SDD and then upgrade the OS to win10 or should I upgrade the OS and then clone the disk? If I clone the disk first, I always have the backup plan to just reinstall the "old" HDD and try again.

Another option would be a bare, clean install of win10 on the SSD, reinstall my programs, like MS Office, graphics, viewers, and other assorted stuff and then copy all my backed up data to the new SSD? ( I would have both a backup of everything and a clone. )

Cost is not an object. I just want smooth and reliable when I'm done.

My laptop has two drive bays. I might even put another SSD in there and clone it every week.
    I assume that process ( which is already pretty easy ) would be a 5-minute chore with two SSDs. After a time, I could rotate the old HDD and an additional SSD for greater safety in case of virus/ransomware I'd have stuff that's two weeks old at all times. ( It'a also possible to store multiple .iso files on a drive, but there is a cross-contamination risk. )

Any ideas or thoughts that I didn't think of or how stupid I am are appreciated

:)

gmoritz, Jul 11, 2017

2. Dual boot Windows 10 and Windows 7 by cloning Windows 7 to new HDD

Old title: Dual boot Win 10 and Win 7

Have Win 10 on SSD C:\ and a failing HDD with Win 7 and some programs I don't want to lose. I have a new HDD to use to create a dual boot. Media for Win 7 is no longer available. How do I clone the failing disk into a bootable partition on the new HDD?

DavidSchott263, Jul 11, 2017
  3. slance310 Win User
    Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD - cannot Reset This PC from partition

Hi,

There is no way to get a backup of Win 7 or 8 at this point...

About the only option is to get a backup of your Win 10, make sure it works, and then reinstall Win 7 or Win 8...

Which ones did your computer come with ? My HP came with Win 7 Pro, but also came with installation Media for Win 8...

slance310, Jul 11, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would use this method to activate a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

The problem you are having may be a problem in the underlying file/folder structure in the file system on the hard drive and may cause problems with an upgrade. Might as well start over with a fresh, error free clean install!

You can make a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive from here:
    Download Windows 10

Use the "download tool now" button and just let the Media Creation Tool create the USB flash drive for you. Use the option in the Media Creation Tool to create installation media for another PC.

I would not clone the drive for backup purposes. A lot of us here use Macrium Reflect Free to make backup image files:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2017
  5. gmoritz Win User
    OK, so although Macrium DOES offer cloning options, you are recommending that I just use a part of what they offer, right?

Would it be a good use of the other bay to stick an inexpensive small SSD in there to back up the files?

I'm kinda feeling out my SSD options. I'll spare no expense for the primary drive.

I was really leaning toward the clean install as you recommended, so thank you for that recommendation.

gmoritz, Jul 11, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Most people use images for backups rather than cloning. An image creates a single file containing only the used portion of the partition or drive being imaging and is compressed. So, let's say you have a 500 GB partition the OS is installed to and you have 100 GB of data and programs installed on it. The image file will be 80 - 90 GB in size. A clone will be 500 GB in size. So, if you are backing up to a 500 GB second drive, you can either save 5 images to it - or just 1 clone.

Also, the image file is less likely to get infected by a virus because the virus would first have to be able to read the image file. With a clone, the virus could infect it the same way it affects the current OS.

The only disadvantage to the image file is that in order to do a full restoration it must be restored to a different partition and/or drive to have a fully bootable and operational OS but with a clone all you would have to do is boot directly from it. Macrium Reflect VI Boot now allows you to boot an image file, but it has limited functionality.

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2017
  7. gmoritz Win User
    Sorry, I have only done a couple of "Clone Jobs" and I was playing fast-and-loose with terms. When I said "clone" I meant .iso file. I appreciate you clarifying.

One more thing, if I may; What would YOU do with the second bay? I am planning that for the install of win10 from the thumb drive, I will swap out the existing HDD with the new SSD to receive the installation. Since there is no space issue, maybe nothing.

Any recommendations on what 500/512/525GB SSD to buy are appreciated. It's taking a long time to review these things.

gmoritz, Jul 11, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

In your case, clean installing is best option as your file system is already corrupted and this will probably cause the cloning operation to fail anyway.

cereberus, Jul 11, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would put the existing 1TB HDD in the second drive bay. I have a similar setup. The primary drive is a 240GB SSD. Permanently installed in the second internal drive bay is a 1 TB HDD. The SSD runs a standard Windows 10 installation. The second HDD has a bootable FAT32 partition containing the Windows 10 installation files modified to boot into Kyhi's Recovery Tools. The rest of the HDD is an NTFS partition that I store bakup images and data files on.

Therefore, if my SSD should fail, I can boot into the FAT32 HDD partition and either do a clean install of Windows 10 from it, or I can use Macrium Reflect to restore an image. I make an image backup of the SSD to the internal HDD about once a week. Once a month or so I copy an image file from the HDD to my NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive so if the entire computer fails for some reason I have the external backup.

I've had good luck with SanDisk SSDs from BestBuy (currently $142 for 480GB). I also have a Samsung 850 EVO in my desktop computer that has no problems, I purchased that as New (other) from EBay.

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2017
  10. gmoritz Win User
    That kinda sounds like what I outlined in an earlier post, but better.

I could partition my existing win7 installation and use the rest for the stuff that you are doing. It's an NTFS files system, so maybe you know if that's doable.

Also, I can keep any music/video files on the HDD rather than the SSD. This also has the benefit of keeping my usage percentage lower.

gmoritz, Jul 12, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jul 12, 2017
  12. gmoritz Win User
    Thank you all. I will get on this Saturday.

gmoritz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 7-to- Win 10 + HDD-to-SSD in what order? - Similar Threads - HDD SSD order

2. SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD with Win 10, HDD with Win 7 - Can I connect them both in anyway and copy the HDD data...: Title is title submitted by /u/6_or_9 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kx2grj/ssd_with_win_10_hdd_with_win_7_can_i_connect_them/
  3. Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10: I have the Windows 7 home edition. by the time I changed it to Win 10 and then due a virus I formatted my disks. Right now, I want to activate the win 10 new installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/d8f511b9-2035-4fc5-aa6b-b48dfce47dcc
  4. Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 7 to win 10: Can i transfer old computer win 7 to new win 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/ea48f987-32d1-4b38-9a63-726bfffde42b"
  5. Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 from SSD - HDD: I bought a laptop from a pawn shop ( old one was dying ). The "new" machine has very small SSD ( 110gb ) and I want to replace it with an HDD ( 1TB ) I recently purchased? The following image is the output from a Powershell command I found here on the forums. It's a retail...
  6. Win 10 Boot Order

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Boot Order: Just got my new Win 10 all setup and working very nicely. Concerned about the ability to boot using a usb or dvd device if there's ever hdd problems. My HP boot order shows UEFI Boot Sources Windows Boot Manager USB Floppy/CD USB Hard Drive ATAPI CD/DVD Drive Legacy Boot...
  7. reformat SSD from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    reformat SSD from Win 7 to Win 10: I have a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO that I installed in my old Win 7 machine last year. I am moving it into my new XPS 8700 with Win 10. I am trying to do a Secure Erase so that I can clone the Win 10 drive over to the SSD. The Samsung Magician software will not do Secure Erase in...
  8. Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 on both HDD and SSD?: I will buy a SSD for my Acer desktop and install Win 10 on it and other programs I have on my computer. If I do a clean install of Win 10 on my SSD, do I have to delte Win 10 on the HDD first? I guess it is not allowed having two Windows 10 on the same computer (both...
  9. win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1

win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1: when i try to install win 10 i get win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1 my laptop came install with win 8.1,rtied 3 times to install,same message.thanks for any help,maty 20636
  10. win 7 to win 10

win 7 to win 10: hello,im having the icon down the task bar for reserve my win 10,i did it in advance,but what benefits i get?is it a full version or a trial?do i get updates?do i have to install it on win 7 just an upgrade?can i reverse to win 7?do i have any setup for further use? hope...