Windows 10: Win 7 USB drive not showing in Win 10

Discus and support Win 7 USB drive not showing in Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I have just handed back my work laptop (Win7) and cannot read the USB drive on my home laptop (Win10). I have tried Device Manager and Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ROLFEED, Nov 3, 2016.

1. ROLFEED Win User

Win 7 USB drive not showing in Win 10

Hi.

I have just handed back my work laptop (Win7) and cannot read the USB drive on my home laptop (Win10).

I have tried Device Manager and Disk Management approaches. The latter states that my drive has not been initialised. (Which cannot be correct, as I have written to it and have loads of data on it).

The option to add a drive letter does not present.

Also, oddly, it shows in the task bar (Eject Iomega Select HDD).

Anyone had this issue and have a fix, please? I cannot risk losing my data by initialising the drive...

Cheers!

:)

ROLFEED, Nov 3, 2016
  2. spidey638 Win User

Upgrade to Win 10 on new computer from retail win 7

Hi

I'm going to buy a new computer after the July free upgrade offer expires. If I put the Win 10 64bit upgrade on a USB flash drive using MediaCreationTool now can I later install my Win 7 ultimate retail on my new computer and upgrade with the USB drive to
    Win 10?

If the answer is yes can I bypass the Win 7 and just use the USB to install Win 10 64bit ?

I don't want to upgrade before the new computer because some of my programs will not run with Win 10 64bit that I now have running with Win 7 32bit.

Thanks

spidey638, Nov 3, 2016
  3. Formated hard drive before upgrade from win 7 starter to win 10

I have an Asus eee netbook which had pre-installed win 7 starter. The hard drive was completely re-formatted which erased win 7. I do not have a copy of win 7 starter.

Tried to install win 10 from USB. It prompted for product key & the win 7 key was not accepted.

Is there any way to convert the win 7 product key to win 10?

VincentForbes, Nov 3, 2016
  4. TrustMe Win User

I had a similar problem with a portable hard drive, Windows wanted to initialize it. I make a live Linux USB flash drive and copied all my files to another drive. I then initialized the problem drive and copied back my files. I have not had a problem since.

TrustMe, Nov 3, 2016
  5. ROLFEED Win User
    Thanks, TrustMe, but how did you copy the data across from the problem drive? I cannot see/access the data. Just an uninitialised rive in Disk Management: An error-free drive in Device Manager: And a USB drive to eject in the task bar. Also, what do you mean by "... make a live Linux USB...."?

Cheers!

ROLFEE

ROLFEED, Nov 3, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    Linux doesn't recognize Windows Formatting, so if the drive is visible, Linux should be able to see it.
    If not, try the Free TestDisk program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore the files to.

spunk, Nov 3, 2016
  7. TrustMe Win User
    Sorry for the late reply. Live Linux is a operating system that is running off a USB flash drive or DVD. Nothing is written to your hard drive, when you shutdown, no trace of it is left.

I like Linux Mint because it's very similar to Windows 7, you will have no trouble using it.

If your computer has a BIOS, you can use this program to make your Live Linux USB flash drive.
    Universal USB Installer - Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

If your computer has UEFI, here is a guide to make the flash drive.
    How To Create A UEFI Bootable Linux Mint USB Drive

Boot from the live Linux flash drive and backup your files to a different flash drive or portable hard drive.

TrustMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 7 USB drive not showing in Win 10 - Similar Threads - USB drive showing

2. USB Drives Issue in Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB Drives Issue in Win 10: In Windows 10 should the light in a USB memory stick remain illuminated after receiving the "Safely Remove Hardware" message? I'm asking this question because this is what is happening in my Win 10 laptop. Some say it's safe to remove a memory stick while it's still lit up;...
  3. Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to Win 10: I have the Windows 7 home edition. by the time I changed it to Win 10 and then due a virus I formatted my disks. Right now, I want to activate the win 10 new installation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/d8f511b9-2035-4fc5-aa6b-b48dfce47dcc
  4. Win 7 to Win 10 USB Issue

Win 7 to Win 10 USB Issue: I currently run Win 7. I just purchased Win 10. I plugged in the USB drive to begin the setup per the instructions however no new device was visable to open. I checked device manager and it shows as an unknown device and I can't seem to locate a driver to make the USB drive...
  5. Transfer Files ONLY from Win 7 to Win 10 via USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Files ONLY from Win 7 to Win 10 via USB drive: I know this has been addressed in some variations, but I want to make sure, because I'll do it remotely for a friend in another state... Transfer to be done via external USB drive, files are mainly Outlook and other Office files, Quickbooks files. My guess (didn't have a W7...
  6. Upgraded Win 10 over Win 7. Creating Recovery USB. Will I get back to Win 7?

Upgraded Win 10 over Win 7. Creating Recovery USB. Will I get back to Win 7?: Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite 630 R135. It has quite a lot of Toshiba software installed. It came with Win 7 but in january I upgraded it to Win 10. Not a clean install, just the upgrade offered from the Microsoft website. I was trying to create a Recovery disk from...
  7. Win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 7 to win 10: Can i transfer old computer win 7 to new win 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10/ea48f987-32d1-4b38-9a63-726bfffde42b"
  8. USB 3.0 Mystery works in Win 7 but not Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 Mystery works in Win 7 but not Win 10: USB 3.0 Mystery works in Win 7 but not Win 10 I read its not possible for a USB flash drive 3.0 to work in Usb Flash 2.0 port? How come the flash drive works in windows 7 but not windows 10? It also work in Linux mint 18.2 for info. As far as I know my USB drives are 2.0...
  9. win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1

win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1: when i try to install win 10 i get win 10 is for win 7 or win 8.1 my laptop came install with win 8.1,rtied 3 times to install,same message.thanks for any help,maty 20636
  10. win 7 to win 10

win 7 to win 10: hello,im having the icon down the task bar for reserve my win 10,i did it in advance,but what benefits i get?is it a full version or a trial?do i get updates?do i have to install it on win 7 just an upgrade?can i reverse to win 7?do i have any setup for further use? hope...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i upgraded from win7 to win10 my external harddrive acts slugish .