Windows 10: Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?

Discus and support Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Ideally I want a clean install... I tried using the method... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mingle, Feb 14, 2016.

1. mingle Win User

Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?

Hi Guys, I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Ideally I want a clean install...

I tried using the method that worked before on other PCs (Media Creation Tool -> Upgrade this PC) but I got a BSOD when it was "Checking for Updates", so I was wondering:

Do I have to go through the upgrade saga prior to a clean install, or can I just do a clean install straight-off?

I have the Win 7 license key and have a Win 10 (1511) Install DVD to use.

Cheers,

Mike.

:)

mingle, Feb 14, 2016

2. After downloading the Win 10 Pro Upgrade, the install froze at 99% in Windows 10

<Original Title: WIN 10 Upgrade>

After downloading the Win 10 Pro Upgrade, the install froze at 99%.

The existing OS is Win 7 Pro clean install. Dell Desktop XPS

What can I do?

Thx,

bgkhna

RaymondVega, Feb 14, 2016
  3. BillHo812 Win User
    Enquiry about reinstallation of Windows 10.

Original Title: Activation

Windows 10 Home upgraded from Windows 7. Activated.

Question/scenario :

Let's say I have to reinstall Win 7 from Windows 10.

After a while I decide to try Windows 10 again before July 29th 2016.

Can I do a clean install of Win 10 instead of
    upgrading ?

Will I get activated if I do clean install ?

BillHo812, Feb 14, 2016
  4. mwhals Win User

Install it as an update first and wait for it to activate. Once it is activated, you can format the drive and do a clean install. Just skip when asked for a key during installation as you don't need one. When it is finally installed, it will contact Microsoft and see you have an activation for your computer, which it will use to activate.

After Windows 10 is activated the first time, it remembers the hardware, so subsequent installs use the same activation if your hardware has not significantly changed.

mwhals, Feb 14, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    You are now allowed to do Clean Install instead of going through the Upgrade Install as in the past.

Make sure your Win 10 (1511) Install DVD is not 10240 version.
    Use this Tech Bench link and download the current (10586) iso file, then burn it to a DVD as you did before.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w)()

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade? - Similar Threads - upgrade clean install

2. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  3. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  4. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: So I'm biting the bullet and finally upgrading to Win10 from Win7 (upgrading my computer from Win7 hardware to Win10). However I don't have a Win10 key directly, but I do hear you can upgrade from Win7 to 10 for free still. How would this work in my case? Would I install...
  5. Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install

Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install: I am running windows 7 and downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade back when Microsoft offered it and stored it on my drive. I installed it, registered, then reverted to 7. Now as I understand it, this install file is an upgrade version to be put on over windows 7. But what...
  6. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  7. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  8. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  9. Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade

Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade: My brother has an older Dell Latitude E6400 laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro. It had not been upgraded to Windows 10. He bought a new SSD drive for the laptop. I thought I would try an experiment and see if a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD drive would...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...