Windows 10: Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade did not omplete. Recurring re.boots and BSOD

Discus and support Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade did not omplete. Recurring re.boots and BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I was trying to install Win 10 from Win 8.1 on my Medion (Akoya laptop, P7818) (x64bit). I was using then ISO DVD created using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kes, Aug 25, 2015.

1. KES
    kes Win User

Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade did not omplete. Recurring re.boots and BSOD

I was trying to install Win 10 from Win 8.1 on my Medion (Akoya laptop, P7818)
    (x64bit). I was using then ISO DVD created using the MediaCreationToox64
    (as I have several PCs and did not want to download Win10 separately for
    each one.)

All went well, with a couple of reboots. I left the computer alone and
    took a break away from the PC. When I came back the PC was turned off.

I switched it on and had the following message:

"The operating system did not shut down cleanly. Reconstructing cache
    metadata. Do not interrupt this process.

Reading Packed Metadata..... Done
    Processing Delta Log record.....3
    Writing updated Packed Metadata ...Done
    Creating the Segment/Index pairs ....100%
    Total number Segment Index pairs ...1912640
    Sorting Segment/Index Pairs phase 1 .....100%
    Sorting Segment/Index Pairs phase 2 .....100%
    Writing sorted segment/indexed pairs ....Done
    Total Heap size ...7472
    Writing Segment Heap ....Done."

Then a message appears "Preparing Automatic Repair...".

This is followed by an error message (BSOD) on a light blue background:
    " an error occured and we could not repair. We are gathering
    information and we will restart the PC soon"

This goes on for 3 - 4 times and then the PC shuts down. I went through
    this cycle a few times, always the same result.

I have seen another error message flashing by quickly:
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (iaStorAV.sys). I have looked this up and I
    am quite sure it has to do with a faulty driver installed during the
    Win10 'upgrade'.

Summary. I am unable to to log into windows- neither Win10 nor Win
    8.1. I cannot even get into 'Safe mode' via F8(+Shift).

I have tried to do a clean install using the DVD with Windows10.iso, however the bootup ignores the DVD in the drive, even when I 'press any button for boot from CD or DVD' during power up.

How do I get control of my PC? Ideally I would like to 'downgrade' to Win8.1 but I do not have an installation disk (the PC came pre-installed with Win 8 which last year got bumped up to Win 8.1).

Thanks for any help.

:)

2. Pinkfoot1 Win User

BSOD after 1511 upgrade - Bad_Pool_Caller is recurring frequently

Since upgrading/updating to Win 10 version 1511 the BSOD - Bad_Pool_Caller is recurring frequently. This happened during September 2015 after the KB3081448 update. When I deleted this update the BSOD did not happen again.

Looking at system restore tells me that the 1511 update has deleted all previous restore points so I cannot revert to a stable previous point.

Tell me how I can achieve a stable machine - can I restore the previous version of Win 10?

If I cannot then Microsoft has ruined my Computer - given me an unstable platform.

Pinkfoot1, Aug 25, 2015
  3. JimG_MA Win User
    Upgrade again to Win 10 - after HW problems

I did the free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 back in 2016. My HDD and motherboard had to be replaced. They were able to install Win 8.1, but not Win 10. How do I install/upgrade to Win 10? Is it free?

JimG_MA, Aug 25, 2015
  4. Nozmint Win User

Normally Medion Notebooks have an Boot Sector where u can restore Windows to Default.
    Or did u format ur HD completely?
    Don´t know exact which key.. like F8 or F12 normally.

Nozmint, Aug 25, 2015
  5. KES
    kes Win User
    Hi, no I did not format the HD. I followed the 'upgrade' procedure as laid out in MediaCreationToox64, using the Windows10.iso created by the tool. I am unable to get to 'F8' or 'F12' to respond during power up. I read that this has become almost impossible with Win8.1 because of 'Fast boot' features in the OS. My Medion has a SSD 8GB memory as well as HD, so that may be making the problem worse.

6. Nozmint Win User
    Hmm.. ok, i understand.. i have a look too.
    There must be the chance to get the ´boot´ section from Medion for factory default.

Nozmint, Aug 25, 2015
  7. axe0 New Member
    For laptops you need to know which key, because the key to get into recovery is different per manufacturer.
    Shift + F8 is for desktops.

Try to press F3 before windows loads.

8. Nozmint Win User

I found something in the manual:

20.3.1. Start System Recovery

Start the notebook with pressed F11 key

Let us know if it works.

Nozmint, Aug 25, 2015
  9. KES
    kes Win User
    Thank you Nozmint. With F11 and the Medion utility 'PowerRecover' I have managed to get a running PC ... in Win8 (as it was shipped). I was hoping to recover Win8.1, but Win8 (factory settings) is better than nothing. I now have to decide if it is worth trying to do the Windows 10 update again from Win8. But that is another question for another day.

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

10. axe0 New Member
    It's not worth it to upgrade so soon after the final release of windows 10.
    This due to a lot of software incompatibilities and other problems that are not yet covered.

Thema:

1. Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade did not omplete. Recurring re.boots and BSOD - Similar Threads - upgrade did omplete

2. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  3. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  4. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  5. Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10: I did a clean reinstall for win 8 on my laptop, i want to upgrade it to win 10 , will i have to reinstall the drivers as well? Also, is the upgrade still free? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments]...
  6. cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10

cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10: 1. I have bought a genuine key of wins 10 pro 2. I had downloaded windows upgrade assistant and it started its work and after downlaoding 100% it says windows needs your attention on this ……. the following app is not compatible with windows uninstall it manually but...
  7. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917
  8. Programs issues after upgrading win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs issues after upgrading win 8 to win 10: I have had this Asus laptop for over a year (i3 4gb ram intel hd 4000 video card). With windows 8 64bit, I was able to run minecraft filling 1/2 the screen and firefox filling the other half with no issues. I would generally stream hulu or youtube while playing minecraft....
  9. Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?

Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?: I have a laptop with win 8 on it it does not have win 8.1 on it, can I use the win 10 mediacreation tool to upgrade win 8 (non 8.1) to win 10? 43418
  10. Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8

Dual boot Win 9 preview and Win 8: A little early but this is what I am looking at. [img] I plan to just remove Win 7 (C) and install Win 9 Preview in its place as (C) At present Win 8 is on a Logical drive (W) but have thought about deleting Win 7 and converting Win 8 (W) to a primary partition and...