Windows 10: win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrades gets stuck at getting updates

Discus and support win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrades gets stuck at getting updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Dad gave me his lenovo g50-30 - it wouldn't boot (stuck at the circles !) - He reckoned he had windows 10 running on it very slowly and thing like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kingrollo, Dec 6, 2016.

1. kingrollo Win User

win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrades gets stuck at getting updates

My Dad gave me his lenovo g50-30 - it wouldn't boot (stuck at the circles !) - He reckoned he had windows 10 running on it very slowly and thing like wifi weren't reliable.

Anyway I did a lenovo factory reset to win 8.1 - and then tried to upgrade to win 10 via the media creation tool (upgrade this pc)

All was going well and I got past 'windows is creating your media' - then it got stuck at getting updates. I left if for 6 hours - still at getting updates. I did another factory reset and tried with an ethernet cable - same results.

Also after it failed the last time - after if I clicked cancel it went to 'clean up' and then 3 hours later it was still cleaning up !

Any ideas what might be wrong - or how I can upgrade this to windows 10 ?

I really don't want to wipe and install win 10 as my dad doesn't want to loose the on touch recovery partition on this laptop

:)

kingrollo, Dec 6, 2016
  2. 9087456 Win User

Lost Internet access via Cellular SIM card on dual-homed computer with Win 10 FCU

If you downgrade to an earlier version of Win 10 you are stuck with an insecure operating system because you cannot get the latest Win 10 security updates without installing 1709 or later; so the only solution I have is to blow away Win 10 and replace it
    with either Win 7 or Win 8.1.

9087456, Dec 6, 2016
  3. dell inspiron 15r 7520 have compatablity issue with window 10 & 8 !!

I Recently upgraded my OS from win 8 to win 10. now i m stucked, cause when i install amd Display driver on win 10 . they are facing compatablity Issues.

i have even tried to install win 8.1 But there also i face the same problem.

if i could get solution for this , it will be great !!!

Nitin_0007, Dec 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would recommend download the ISO file, I prefer option 1 below:
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Tutorials

Disconnect the computer from all sources of internet.

Mount the ISO file. Windows 8.1 has mounting built-in right from file explorer.

Run setup.exe from the mounted ISO file to do the upgrade with the computer disconnected from all sources of internet.

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2016
  5. kingrollo Win User
    Yes but I will then loose the lenovo recovery partition ?

kingrollo, Dec 6, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    There is that chance with any upgrade, but running setup.exe from the mounted ISO file is no different than running it from any other method of upgrading, except that you have the ISO file downloaded permanently in a convenient manner to use multiple times if the upgrade keeps failing as you attempt to fix the problem. Any method of running Windows 10 setup.exe from within Windows 7/8/8.1 will start the same upgrade process. You have to actually boot from a Windows 10 installation media such as USB flash drive or DVD to do a clean install which is guaranteed to break the recovery partition.

If you want to 99% guarantee recovery to factory software ability, then create a backup image of the hard drive with an imaging program like Macrium Reflect Free. You will need an external storage location like an external hard drive or network attached storage to hold the image that will be about 80% in size of the used space on the hard drive. Then you could even do a clean install of Windows 10 and still be able to go back to the saved image.

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2016
  7. kingrollo Win User
    OK -Put a new hard drive in - installed win 10 64 bit from a usb stick - no problem at all. Tried to update to anniversary edition - updates stuck at 82%
    tried to do an inplaced upgrade using the media creation tool - al went fine - even got as far as selecting the country etc - then it rebooted and got stuck at the wheel of dots ......any idea whats wrong ?

kingrollo, Dec 11, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If you installed Windows 10 onto a new hard drive from a USB stick, why did you install an older version of Windows 10 and then update to the anniversary edition? Why didn't you just install the most recent Windows 10 available to begin with?

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2016
  9. kingrollo Win User
    I didn't get a choice ? - I downloaded win 10 64 bit via the media creation tool .

I then ran windows update - and it told me update 1607 was available (which I thought was the anniversary update?)

So I then ran MCT - and selected upgrade this PC - which went all the way through until the reboot.

If there is an ISO with the anniversary update on it - that might come in handy ?

kingrollo, Dec 11, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The most recent MCT will download the anniversary update. If you run a previously downloaded older version of the MCT, it will continue to download the Windows 10 build that it did at the time you downloaded it.

Here's how to get the Anniversary Update ISO file, but if you choose the MCT, be advised that you have to use the freshly downloaded MCT and not an older out-of-date one:
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Tutorials

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2016
  11. kingrollo Win User
    nope I did the whole lot from fresh - so from what you are saying I had the anniversary update ?

By then why was 1607 update still available for download !

kingrollo, Dec 11, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is probably the cumulative update from 14393.0 to 14393.479.

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2016
  13. kingrollo Win User

So if I do the whole thing again - Via MCT - then I have win 10 with the anniversary update ?

kingrollo, Dec 11, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can check what you have downloaded by using this method:
    ISO - See what Language, Edition, and Architecture of Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

Instead of mounting the ISO file, you can just use the drive letter assigned to the Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD you created when it is inserted. Under version: you should see 14393.0 if you have the Anniversary Update created.

10240 is the original Windows 10
    10586 is the November, 2015 update
    14393 is the Anniversary update

What I like to do if there is problems with updates on install is to do the clean install with no connection to the internet - unplug Ethernet cable and do not sign onto any WiFi. When asked to create a user account, look for the little links that allow you to skip all the Microsoft Account and email account steps and create a local user account. Log in and let everything settle down. Then connect to the internet and let Windows 10 just do the updates in the background, waiting for the notification that a restart is required. When I get that notification, I go to settings, Updates & Securities, and the updates tab. There should be a reboot or restart now button under available updates. I use that to restart the computer.

If you want a Microsoft account login, you can just convert the local account to use a Microsoft Account. Another advantage to doing the local account first is that I get to pick what the folder under C:\Users will be because it will be the same as the username I enter for the local account and does not change when you convert to a Microsoft Account login.

NavyLCDR, Dec 11, 2016
  15. kingrollo Win User
    many thanks you are quite correct. it is the 14393 version. Ive reinstalled win 10 64 from usb - however the update kb3201845 appears to be the problem now - this downloads but just sticks on preparing to configure windows - any more ideas ?

kingrollo, Dec 11, 2016
Thema:

1. win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrades gets stuck at getting updates - Similar Threads - upgrades gets stuck

2. How to get Win 10 updates without upgrading to Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get Win 10 updates without upgrading to Win 11: So my Windows 10 PC has autoloaded Win 11 and is ready to reboot and install. I don't want Win 11. I don't want to learn a new interface. I don't have time to mess with that. I don't want to put my apps and data at risk. I barely have the space on my SS drive. I hate...
  3. How to get Win 10 updates without upgrading to Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get Win 10 updates without upgrading to Win 11: So my Windows 10 PC has autoloaded Win 11 and is ready to reboot and install. I don't want Win 11. I don't want to learn a new interface. I don't have time to mess with that. I don't want to put my apps and data at risk. I barely have the space on my SS drive. I hate...
  4. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  5. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  6. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  7. Getting a program designed for Win 8 to run on Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Getting a program designed for Win 8 to run on Win 10: I purchased a program that was apparently designed to run on Win 8 for my Win 10 PC (all are current versions) and am unable to get it to run. The program is ShadowFX from Stardock Software. Is there something I can do to make such a program run on Win 10? Thanks....
  8. How to get win 8 'hot corners' in win 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get win 8 'hot corners' in win 10?: Is there a way to get hot corners in windows 10? for example, it would be great If I could open the notification bar by moving my mouse to the bottom right hand corner In the same way you would open the charms bar in windows 8. Is there any way to achieve this in win...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck: You won't find this laptop in either of my specs and falls in the "sure I'll take a look at it" family category. My Nephew's Gateway NE56R48u was being upgraded to 10 when the upgrade hung in one of those moments that the machine needed to restart itself. The screen stayed...
  10. Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?: I have a laptop with win 8 on it it does not have win 8.1 on it, can I use the win 10 mediacreation tool to upgrade win 8 (non 8.1) to win 10? 43418