Windows 10: Win 8 Pro u/g allowed transferability, will Win 10 u/g change this?

Discus and support Win 8 Pro u/g allowed transferability, will Win 10 u/g change this? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; From the Windows 8 retail (upgrade) EULA: "Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Fafhrd, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Win 8 Pro u/g allowed transferability, will Win 10 u/g change this?

From the Windows 8 retail (upgrade) EULA:

"Can I transfer the software to another computer or user?
    You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you..."

This remains the same for the Windows 8.1 upgrade EULA.

On upgrading a Windows 7 PC, this changed the terms of the original OEM EULA which was not transferable, and lasted for the lifetime of that PC only to a lifetime license on any replacement hardware.

For this fact alone, the £14.99 Windows 8 upgrade was a bargain.

Will the Windows 10 EULA be similarly generous in terms of transferability, does any one know?

I have read in many places that with Windows 10, reinstalls on the same device will be allowed - which puts the situation back to the original OEM situation where the OS is tied to the device it was installed upon only.

:)

Fafhrd, Jun 9, 2015

2. Win 10 Upgrade

Win 10 Upgrade--getting U/G error 0x80190001 after the compatibility Test (Passed). U/G stops after that. Tried rebooting-no go. How do fix this?

Bern Sundberg, Jun 9, 2015
  3. Problem with Windows Update

When I press the Windows key + X, I get the mobility centre. Which version of Windows are you referrring to? I am using Win 7 Home Premium: is it different with Win 8/8.1?

We have three PCs (one a laptop) all running Win 7 Home Premium, all having the same problems/error code as the one rosesheridan raises.

I have administrator accounts on all the machines, and those are my normal logins. I use MSE as my antivirus program. I have tried downloading the Win 10 u/g with MSE uninstalled - no different. I have tried the command line wuauclt.exe and updatenow commands,
    none of which have led the Win 10 u/g to work. I have downloaded and tried to use the mediacreationtoolx64 but nothing happens when I try to run it. I have obtained from a friend the files which downloaded when he used the tool, but the setup.exe file does
    not respond.

I am really annoyed that I have to download the Win 10 u/g every time as the file doesn't seem to be saved anywhere nor is it able to resume a partial download. At my Broadband speeds, it takes 2-2.5 hours for the program to download. Must have
    wasted literally days on downloads.

PeterHoldroyd, Jun 9, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

I don't believe this was the case, I think you are misinterpreting the license. Upgrades have never converted OEM to Retail licensing.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    "Upgrades have never converted OEM to Retail licensing."

No - the upgrade licence terms supercede the previous licence. The upgrade licence makes the OEM license null and void.

The Windows 8 retail (upgrade) EULA says this:

"What about upgrading the software?
    The software covered by this agreement is an upgrade to your existing operating system software, so the upgrade replaces the original software that you are upgrading. .."

The Windows 7 OEM (HP) EULA which was upgraded said this:

"1. GRANT OF LICENSE. HP grants you the following rights provided you comply with all terms and conditions of this EULA:
    a. Use. You may use the Software Product on a single computer ("Your Computer")...
    ...2. UPGRADES. To use a Software Product identified as an upgrade, you must first be licensed for the original Software Product identified by HP as eligible for the upgrade. After upgrading, you may no longer use the original Software Product that formed the basis for your upgrade eligibility...
    ...4. TRANSFER.a. Third Party. The initial user of the Software Product may make a one-time transfer of the Software Product to another end user. Any transfer must include all component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the transferred product must agree to all the EULA terms. Upon transfer of the Software Product, your license is automatically terminated..."

Which means the OEM license is tied to the original hardware (except in circumstances when Microsoft grants transfer to new hardware in the case of hardware failure.)

The transfer clause in the Windows 8 upgrade license supercedes this tie-in.

However, my question was:

Does anyone know if the Windows 10 Upgrade ties the upgrade to the hardware it is installed upon?

Fafhrd, Jun 9, 2015
  6. Is that the EULA on the (included with) the upgrade media?

alphanumeric, Jun 9, 2015
  7. In answer to your last question? That's a question I have not seen a definitive answer too? I don't know.

alphanumeric, Jun 9, 2015
  8. Kyhi Win User

I will bet Bottom Dollar that the Free 10 Upgrade will be locked out of a retail transfer after the first year

transfer your retail 8 in six months - you get 10 upgrade
    transfer your retail 8 in sixteen months - you purchase 10 upgrade

9. Dude Win User
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    Thanks Dude, I had hoped there was a definitive answer somewhere.

My 8.1 license checks out as RETAIL channel in slmgr /dlv , so if I upgrade to Windows 10, according to the above, it will retain the RETAIL status, and remain fully transferable.

Alphanumeric: "Is that the EULA on the (included with) the upgrade media?" - Yes

Now, the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 10130 also checks out as RETAIL channel, so when that is upgraded to RTM, it should follow the same rules, I guess.

Fafhrd, Jun 10, 2015
  11. OK, thanks just wanted to confirm you were looking at the correct EULA.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Win 8 Pro u/g allowed transferability, will Win 10 u/g change this? - Similar Threads - Pro allowed transferability

2. U

in Windows 10 Gaming
    U: the card says you should put the flash stick in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/u%E7%9B%98%E6%98%BE%E7%A4%BA%E8%AF%B7%E5%B0%86/c5cbab7b-d3b9-429f-a659-1f745de469e0
  3. U

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    U: the card says you should put the flash stick in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/u%E7%9B%98%E6%98%BE%E7%A4%BA%E8%AF%B7%E5%B0%86/c5cbab7b-d3b9-429f-a659-1f745de469e0
  4. U

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Xbox Game Bar not opening with Win+G

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox Game Bar not opening with Win+G: After installing Xbox Game Bar from the Mircrosoft Store I realised it does not open with the usual Win+G shortcut but it does open if I launch it manually....
  6. win + g cant record

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    win + g cant record: i want to record minecraft but when i click win+g and record it says We cant record right now try again later it was working on older versions (1903) Windows 10 Home 20H2 instaled 09.‎03.‎2021(i got a ssd drive) build 19042.867 Windows Feature Experience Pack...
  7. Can't broadcast from Win + G

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't broadcast from Win + G: I try to broadcast to mixer with the Win+G function but when I click on broadcast, the mixer tab pops up for a moment, and then closes and Windows says to try again later. I am all logged into Mixer and my accounts linked up, I don't know what the issue is, what do I do?...
  8. H U G E loss of data and programs being altered

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    H U G E loss of data and programs being altered: On Sunday, 08/04/2019 I discovered these issues: Outlook had erased all emails back to August 12 2017 Logos Bible Software reverted from version 8.2 to the obsolete version 7.8 I lost the record of every Word document I recently worked on Just now they were restored I lost...
  9. G:\...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    G:\...: I have been using the Cruzer Gliide for File History. Today it stopped working & I cannot turn file History back on & my flash drive is showing the subject above. I don't know how to fix this....
  10. Can U upgrade win 7 enterprise to win 10 equivalent

in Windows 10 Support
    Can U upgrade win 7 enterprise to win 10 equivalent: Hi , I picked up a cheap second hand laptop with win7 enterprise from a carboot sale and have 2 issues .( Its all working fine albeit a bit slow ) I want to give this to my grandkids for homework etc . 1 : Am I able to upgrade to win 10 from 7 enterprise as I did with...