Windows 10: WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version

Discus and support WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have tried several times to update to the anniversary update, and at the start, everything is going fine. the update installs correctly, and is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FTLdude, Sep 17, 2016.

1. FTLdude Win User

WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version

I have tried several times to update to the anniversary update, and at the start, everything is going fine. the update installs correctly, and is working fine. but when i try to turn off the computer, it won't. the screen goes black, but 30 seconds later if i touch the mouse, the login screen appears. turning off the computer from that screen does not help either.

The only way to turn it off is by holding down the power button, or the restart button at the login screen. the problem is when i turn the pc back on again, a black screen appears saying "restoring your previous version of windows". that takes a minute to do its thing, then i have the old version of windows 10 again. this has happened several times, i have deactivated third party anti virus programs, and even did a clean boot, but still the same thing is happening. any idea of what causes this?
    WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version [​IMG]
    (this picture is not me, but shows what happened to me, as my picture did not work (it's different problem than mine))

:)

FTLdude, Sep 17, 2016

2. Win 10 Anniversary update software exception eaccess violation

I tried the clean boot, before I saw your reply, and several other methods. I decided to just revert to the pre-Anniversary version of Windows10, since it was less than 10 days old. I need the software program more than I need the Anniversary version.
    Everything works just fine now, as it did before the Anniversary update. Since the software is very old, I could not find a driver that would help.

KathrynGowka-Weiss, Sep 17, 2016
  3. NehaDhuri Win User
    Facing some issues while installing Windows 10 anniversary on Windows 10 pro machine.

I am facing some issues while installing Win 10 anniversary version on machine with Win 10 pro. But, I have easily installed win 10 anniversary on machine with Win 10 home. If i am trying to update Win 10 pro for anniversary version then it directly download
    Win 10 pro update only which is higher than Anniversary version.

Kindly give suggestion for installing Win 10 anniversary version.

NehaDhuri, Sep 17, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

It seems your PC isn't shutting down properly. Try the following first:

• Turn off Fast Startup if enabled since this can cause problems
    • Check your drivers are up to date - particularly those for graphics, mouse & keyboard. Also check you have the latest BIOS from your PC/motherboard supplier which supports Windows 10
    • Run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt.
    When you see that "restoring your previous version of Windows" screen try a cold restart. Turn off the PC at the mains or turn off the PSU switch on the rear of the PC, hold down the power on button for 30 secs then restore the power and turn on the PC. If you have laptop, you will need to remove the battery to have the same effect.

Steve C, Sep 17, 2016
  5. FTLdude Win User
    i turned off fast boot, and now my laptop turn off properly, but when i turn it back on again, it still reverts back. will try your other tips.

FTLdude, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. WIN anniversary update automatically reverting to old version - Similar Threads - anniversary update automatically

2. Windows keep revert to the old version of graphics driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows keep revert to the old version of graphics driver: The latest version of my graphic driver is IntelR Iris R Xe Graphics Version: 31.0.101.4577, but the windows keep using the old version which is IntelR Iris R Xe Graphics Version: 30.0.101.1994. I tried many ways to prevent windows revert to the old driver version but is not...
  3. Windows keep revert to the old version of graphics driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows keep revert to the old version of graphics driver: The latest version of my graphic driver is IntelR Iris R Xe Graphics Version: 31.0.101.4577, but the windows keep using the old version which is IntelR Iris R Xe Graphics Version: 30.0.101.1994. I tried many ways to prevent windows revert to the old driver version but is not...
  4. WIN 10 PC REVERTED TO OLD DESKTOP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN 10 PC REVERTED TO OLD DESKTOP: When logging in to my Win 10 PC today, the desktop took on a totally different appearance. Most of my icons and taskbar settings were gone or changed. I tried a system restore on three times to points back to a month ago with same results. I got an error message that files...
  5. Anniversary Update fails without reason, will stick to the old version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update fails without reason, will stick to the old version: Used the Windows Media Creation tool for the Anniversary Update All went well, but in the end a simple "Windows 10 installation has failed" No reason, I just returned to my 10586.545 desktop. Frankly as I expect such things to happen, I always create a Windows image...
  6. Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings

Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings: Hello, I've just installed KB3176929. Now I am running Windows 10 Education v1607, b14393.10. Almost everything it's fine despite "Windows Update Settings" *Mad. In the past I've used Local Group Policy Editor​ to tweak the settings and make Windows notify me when I...
  7. Win 10 Anniversary update

Win 10 Anniversary update: My Laptop, running Win10 Pro 64-bit, updated yesterday, and I am now on this version. Is this the latest? i.e. the MS Anniversary update? [img] 58665
  8. Anniversary update reverts personalized settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary update reverts personalized settings: After upgrading Windows 10 Pro version 1511 to 1607 (which is in fact a true in-place upgrade of Windows) I noticed that several of my personalized settings are reverted to their default values! What a disaster although I consider myself lucky because I carefully document...
  9. ISO for Anniversary Win 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ISO for Anniversary Win 10 update: Does anyone have a link for the ISO file (to make a bootable DVD) for the Anniversary Win 10 update? Thanks, Gerry 64809
  10. Wrong version of Anniversary?

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong version of Anniversary?: I went to the nVidia website to download a new driver for my TITAN BLACK GPU, and it said there that my OS is Anniversary 32 bit! But on my computer, in SYSTEM INFORMATION, and in SPECCY, it says, WINDOWS 10 PRO, (which I'm supposed to have)! Can anybody tell me what's going...