Windows 10: Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why?

Discus and support Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey all, Windows Defender shows being on but it's grayed out. I can't change it, and the downloadable .reg file to turn it on or off does nothing.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Starkman, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Starkman Win User

Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why?

Hey all,

Windows Defender shows being on but it's grayed out. I can't change it, and the downloadable .reg file to turn it on or off does nothing.

I run AVG antivirus, and I tried turning it off to see if it was getting in the way...didn't help.
    This is Windows 10 Home, by the way.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,

:)

Starkman, Mar 31, 2016
  2. Le Boule Win User

Real-time is set to on, but it is grayed out and I am being notified that I do not have real-time protection

Good to know that restarting the computer after installing a new battery seems to have resolved the issue.

Regards...

Le Boule, Mar 31, 2016
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Real-time is set to on, but it is grayed out and I am being notified that I do not have real-time protection

Any other security program installed?

The behavior you are describing may occur if there are remnants of a third party program installed.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled if there is a program other than Windows
    Defender listed.

Have you tried the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include running the software removal tools for any security software (AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a restart of the
    computer?

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in
    this thread: Windows Defender.

How to Use the Built-in Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10

Regards…

Le Boule, Mar 31, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

..............Windows Defender shows being on but it's grayed out. ..................

Are you talking about making changes in Services ?
    If yes, you can't make changes if WD is already On.
    Screenshot on my WD................

Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why? [​IMG]

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I probably do not have a solution for you, but if you elaborate why you want to make changes in WD, someone will most likely have an answer for you.

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  6. Starkman Win User
    No, I don't necessarily need to make any changes. I just noticed that when I go to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Defender, it shows the sliders on but grayed out. I guess I would like to turn off the Cloud option, but that's about it. Just wondering why.

Starkman, Mar 31, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Yes, you do have reason of concern.
    My WD slider is NOT grayed out.
    Don' know why.

davidhk, Mar 31, 2016
  8. Starkman Win User

You misread my statement! I never said I had no reason for concern, quite the contrary.

Wait! by "Yes, you do have reason of concern," do you mean something like, "Yeah, that is an issue," in which case I agree. If, however, you're under the assumption I am not concerned but should be, then you did misread my statement; I would like to know why the settings are grayed out. For sure.

Starkman, Mar 31, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Using two full time active/resident AVs is not recommended and potentially detrimental. Third party AVs have protection built in and don't allow it's services to be turned off because malware could do same thing and so disable protection.
    Installing a third party AV turns Defender off and just shutting down AVG is not going to turn it on. You need to uninstall AVG completely using their tool to do it. That should activate Defender again.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2016
  10. AndreTen Win User
    Are you signed in as an administrator? If you are signed as a restricted user, then settings should be greyed.

AndreTen, Mar 31, 2016
  11. Starkman Win User
    AndreTen - Yeah, I'm in as Admin.

CountMike - thanks for the input.

AVG is probably the culprit, but since it is most likely turning off Windows Defender, I doubt that there is much to be worried about having two AV programs running; one isn't running!

I'd really like to choose my own AV program, particularly since WD is on the very low end of the totem pole for protection.

Well, thanks much, all,

Starkman, Mar 31, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    It's 100% sure that AVG turned WD off, no doubt about it but you are in good hands with AVG although WD is nothing to be sneezed on as of lately. I have been using WD since W10 came out and didn't need any other overhead from 3rd party AVs. Was using Avast before that.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2016
  13. Starkman Win User

Yup, just uninstalled AVG and that kicked in Windows Defender.
    Now, what about adding EMET 5.5 (Defender, I know, is something of the EMET line...or vice versa)? The 5.5 is compatible with Windows 10, so the two should work in tandem, I would think, and be that much better. What do you think?

I was going to go with AVAST as well instead of AVG, but if Defender and EMET get along fine (and apparently they do), then I think you're right that I'm good to go.

Starkman, Mar 31, 2016
  14. CountMike New Member
    They do get together but I'd rather ad Malwarebytes pro because it deals with stuff that AVs don't. I just comb system with it and Advance cleaner every now and than and that proved to be enough for me.

CountMike, Mar 31, 2016
  15. Starkman Win User
    Yeah, I agree. Can't afford to pay for Mal Pro right now, but I do run the free version periodically.

Thanks much,

Starkman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win Defender is on but grayed out. Why? - Similar Threads - Defender grayed Why

2. Security settings in grayed out. Why ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Security settings in grayed out. Why ?: Hello. Could you help me explain why the memory integrity and firmware protection options are grayed out and the text message in red saying that these settings are handled by the system administrator. Is there any way to change this? Thank you very much in advance for your...
  3. Security settings in grayed out. Why ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security settings in grayed out. Why ?: Hello. Could you help me explain why the memory integrity and firmware protection options are grayed out and the text message in red saying that these settings are handled by the system administrator. Is there any way to change this? Thank you very much in advance for your...
  4. Win 11 night light is grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 night light is grayed out: Night light on Win 11 that used to work became grayed out. Everything is updated - windows 11 & all drivers, including NVDIA graphics card, is updated. Why is the night light button grayed out? Can't turn it on!...
  5. Win 11 night light is grayed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 night light is grayed out: Night light on Win 11 that used to work became grayed out. Everything is updated - windows 11 & all drivers, including NVDIA graphics card, is updated. Why is the night light button grayed out? Can't turn it on!...
  6. Printer grayed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer grayed out: Hello,I’m new user of windows 10, and I tried to install a printer and it’s connected via Ethernet LAN, but the windows keep add it as a grayed out icon, and it didn’t give me the opportunity to define the ip port number since the icon is already gray and it seems as if it’s...
  7. why Mobile Hotspot is grayed out...? How to fix this...?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    why Mobile Hotspot is grayed out...? How to fix this...?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sayemon10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m88ubh/why_mobile_hotspot_is_grayed_out_how_to_fix_this/
  8. why is encrypt a folder grayed out?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why is encrypt a folder grayed out?: Hi all im tryint to protect a folder and the encrypt option is grayed out. why? this version of windows is home for some reason even though i changed the key to my pro OME, and the version did not change so thats a different issue i need to talk to ms about, and its got the...
  9. Lock Screen Grayed Out (Win 10 1909)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock Screen Grayed Out (Win 10 1909): I cannot do anything with the lock screen. I just want to change the picture but everything is stuck on one image. I also get a message on top of the page: "some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organization." Any help appreciated 150046
  10. Windows Defender settings are grayed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender settings are grayed out: hello, my laptop running windows 10 home 1903 has some windows defender setting greyed out with the message "this setting is managed by your administrator," I'm the only user and have Malwarebytes installed for scanning. everything I've tried hasn't worked. it's really...