Windows 10: Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter

Discus and support Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows Explorer will not show any (usb-flash/external HD-) drive with the letter H. The drive is recognized by Windows: it does show up in Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HugovH, Aug 1, 2016.

1. HugovH Win User

Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter

Windows Explorer will not show any (usb-flash/external HD-) drive with the letter H. The drive is recognized by Windows: it does show up in Disk Management.
    What I did, months ago, is delete (merge) a hard drive partition - drive letter assignment of this partition was H.
    Apparently the H-assignment got lost somehow somewhere.
    The practical issue is: whenever I use a usb stick, Windows assigns the first available/free drive letter - which is H. I then have to go to disk management, change H into some other letter, after which the usb stick show up in Win Explorer.
    Tried my best to find a solution for this. Wasn't lucky.

:)

HugovH, Aug 1, 2016
  2. APJX Win User

Samsung M3 portable hard drive not getting recognised on Windows 10.

Hi!

This is resolved by going to Disk Management, right click on the drive, and using "Change Drive Letter and Path"

Win 10 then shows drive in expoler

BUT!

Once you restart, Win10 "forgets" the drive and you need to go through process of assigning drive letter every time

Please advise how to resolve this

thank you

APJX, Aug 1, 2016
  3. HDDs Listed Twice in File Explorer & Device Manager

I did a clean install of win 10 on a new SSD. Everything appears to have gone well except the assigning of drive letters. I have 4 HDDs that were assigned drive letters E, F, G, & H in win 7. When I added them to the win 10 install they were assigned
    drive letters J – M and the USB3 drives were assigned drive letters D – G. I need my HDDs to have drive letters E – H because some of my software expects data to be on those drives. In Disk Management I changed the drive letters of the HDDs and USBs to
    reflect drive letters of E – H for the HDDs. While looking at File Explorer I discovered that the HDDs are all listed twice. I looked in Device Manager and the HDDs and the USBs are listed there as Disk Drives and as Portable Devices.

The USBs don’t show up in File Explorer unless there is a drive plugged into them, although the box in Folder Options “Hide empty drives” is not checked.

Is anyone out there aware of this problem and a solution for it?

My hardware is Intel i7 3770 on an ASUS p8z77 - v pro motherboard.

LeonardJames, Aug 1, 2016
Thema:

Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter

1. Win Explorer 'forgets' drive-letter - Similar Threads - Explorer 'forgets' drive

2. Win Explorer - Blue Lettering used for some folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win Explorer - Blue Lettering used for some folders: Recently, I started seeing 2 Document folders. One uses a blue Font and the other is a standard Black Font. But the 2 folders do not have the same Subfolders. Also, the Blue Folders have what looks like a small circle with arrows indicating movement. I have no idea what these...
  3. Win Explorer - Blue Lettering used for some folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win Explorer - Blue Lettering used for some folders: Recently, I started seeing 2 Document folders. One has a blue Font and the other in standard a Black Font. But the 2 folders do not have the same Subfolders. Also, the Blue Folders have what looks like a small circle with arrows indicating movement. I have no idea what these...
  4. Win Explorer - Blue Lettering used for some folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win Explorer - Blue Lettering used for some folders: Recently, I started seeing 2 Document folders. One has a blue Font and the other in standard a Black Font. But the 2 folders do not have the same Subfolders. Also, the Blue Folders have what looks like a small circle with arrows indicating movement. I have no idea what these...
  5. file explorer letter before drive letter in search

file explorer letter before drive letter in search: when i did a search in file manager it showed the file as "rc:******" why is there a letter before the drive and what does it mean f and r are the letters that are shown before the drive...
  6. Microsoft Windows - please forget about drive letters, allow to use drive labels

Microsoft Windows - please forget about drive letters, allow to use drive labels: This happens too often. After plugging in a new storage device or temporarily disconnecting one of the hard drives,their letters are messed up. It takes a while to use diskpart, list volume, select volume and assign letter=if it happens once by a serious system failure.but...
  7. win forgetting password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    win forgetting password: windows 10 logout from all the accounts after shutdown every time i shut down my pc every account will ask password : google account on chrome . Hotmail account i used for windows , Facebook , even reddit and all will reset settings any idea ? submitted by /u/M_khair...
  8. Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drive letter not visible in Windows Explorer: I have one and only one letter assigned to a drive that is not recognized by the Windows Explorer. It is visible in the Disk Management console. When I change the letter Explorer displays this drive. When I assign this letter to another drive, it disappears from Explorer....
  9. stop win assigning usb drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    stop win assigning usb drive letter: How do I stop windows from assigning drive letters to unused USB ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-win-assigning-usb-drive-letter/442d12f1-8165-4317-88ec-301d7d12c2fb
  10. Drive letter missing in Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Drive letter missing in Windows File Explorer: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]On rare occasions, you may find that the Drive letter is missing from File Explorer following the installation of an Update . If you have experienced this issue, here’s a way to get past the problem. A drive letter represents [...] This post Drive letter...