Windows 10: Win keeps turnning HDD on/off

Discus and support Win keeps turnning HDD on/off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When i set this for my secondary HDD change advanced power settings Turn off hard disk after 4 mins Windows randomly keeps turning the disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kryten, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Kryten Win User

Win keeps turnning HDD on/off

When i set this for my secondary HDD

change advanced power settings
    Turn off hard disk after 4 mins

Windows randomly keeps turning the disk back on and off again.Which cant be good for the disk.
    I want it to stay off until i need to use it.Is that possible?

Or does anyone know of software that will work better than this.

:)

Kryten, Aug 15, 2017

2. Flight Simulator X Acceleration Pack cannot activate

I noticed FSX Acceleration Pack cannot activate on Win 10 64bit.

What I did I had Win 7 software, and I upload Win7 with new HDD and install FSX and Acceleration Pack all ok.

When turn off pc or FSX , it doesn't ask to activate.

What happening was in Win 10 when activate Acceleration Pack via online it says successfully activated, and you can fly no problem. Once you turn FSX or PC off it keep asking to activate.

thanks

regards Kapila.

kapila_734, Aug 15, 2017
  3. HDD disappear when used

I have strange problem with Win 10. I have SSD and HDD setup. When I try to copy to HDD, it copy some files and then the drive disapperar form Task manager (not from the explorer) and speed drop to 0. It affect even external HDDs connected via USB 3.0
    and even network HDD.. After restart disk is not visible, only thing that helps is turn off PC and turn off power switch. After it the HDD acts as normal, but when i try again to copy (other) data, it write some of them than again, speed drop to 0 and HDD
    disappeared.

Hades Mefisto, Aug 15, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey Kryten,
    Some HDDs have their own power management (apm/aam), so it might not be windows doing it. Check manufactures site for your HDD.
    If you haven't already, change it to never as a test.

Eagle51, Aug 15, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    No, it's not possible because windows uses hard disk for many processes that requires running disk. Page file for instance, maintenance processes including antivirus and auto defrag etc. As soon as you do anything when HDD is at sleep, there's always something to wake it up.

CountMike, Aug 15, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    You can add indexing to that list of processes. Some processes can be avoided or reduced. Defrag can be configured to select which drive you want to optimize automatically and you can set the properties of the drive to not allow indexing of contents as well as file properties.

You don't say what you use the secondary disk for, but if you have moved your user data to it then you probably don't want to turn off indexing, not if you want your search results to be complete.

7. swarfega Win User
    How about this setting:

Win keeps turnning HDD on/off [​IMG]

swarfega, Aug 15, 2017
  8. Kryten Win User

Yes 0 minutes and also the never setting work-the drive stays on.

In linux the same setting- turn off after 4 min works.The disk stays off until you want to use it.Not relevent to windows but
    its evidence that its not the disk thats the problem.

Auto trim/defrag is off, i do it manually.Only have windows defender antivirus.Have 2 videos on the 2TB seagate Hybrid HDD.Rest of data is on my primary solid state drive.

From replies so far it looks like it isnt possible in windows, due to all the background sevices/processes etc.

Kryten, Aug 16, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    There must be something else we don't know about. Perhaps others may have some insights.

swarfega, Aug 16, 2017
  10. CountMike New Member
    I fought that one before, simply put, it's not per disk setting but affects all disks at same time. Even if one disk goes to sleep anything accessing any disk wakes that sleeper up even if it's not accessed at that time. So, it's all or none.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Win keeps turnning HDD on/off - Similar Threads - keeps turnning HDD

2. Keeps turning on and off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keeps turning on and off: Hello! I've had this computer for over 4 years now and it has been working just fine until one day I went to turn it on and it turned on but then went to a black screen I reset it and the same thing keeps happening the type of computer I have is an EVOO 18.5 all in one...
  3. Keeps turning on and off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keeps turning on and off: Hello! I've had this computer for over 4 years now and it has been working just fine until one day I went to turn it on and it turned on but then went to a black screen I reset it and the same thing keeps happening the type of computer I have is an EVOO 18.5 all in one...
  4. Win 11 my Wifi keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 my Wifi keeps turning off: So i upgraded to win 11 today, which seems to be a mistake.My WLAN keeps shutting off and going on by itself after some time.Its either that it Disconnects my WLAN stick or something.Yes i already have done all the basics with DNS or Reinstalling the Driver....
  5. Win 11 my Wifi keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 my Wifi keeps turning off: So i upgraded to win 11 today, which seems to be a mistake.My WLAN keeps shutting off and going on by itself after some time.Its either that it Disconnects my WLAN stick or something.Yes i already have done all the basics with DNS or Reinstalling the Driver....
  6. Bluetooth keeps turning itself off Win 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth keeps turning itself off Win 10: After I updated my Realtek Bluetooth Driver from 1.7.1019.3002 to 1.8.1025.3002, it keeps turning itself off randomly. The option to turn it back on disappears from settings, and I can't see the Bluetooth device in Device Manager.Is it a problem with the new driver? I updated...
  7. HDD Seagate4TB Keeps turning on and off,but in Ubuntu looks ok.

HDD Seagate4TB Keeps turning on and off,but in Ubuntu looks ok.: I purchased a new "internal" HDD Seagate and started to turn on and off constantly in windows 10,even scanning is impossible.I tried in Ubuntu and working fine.Someone have this problem in windows 10?How to solve this problem?Thank you in advanced....
  8. win defender is turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    win defender is turned off: i noticed win defender is turned off. although i have avast anti virus, should i turn it back on?*Shock 92839
  9. switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off: OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can turn a single drive (HDD or SSD) on and off? I did search the internet before posting and several solutions exist, but...
  10. Secondary HDD not turning off

Secondary HDD not turning off: Hey guys, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on. I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the...